Nintendo switch general chat

Don't bite. He's phishing or he doesn't understand gaming. Both very sad

Not biting just asking him a fair question - I've been at work all day and come home to a mess lol

There's a lot of unneeded hate in these forums - so sad :(

Yodel are fine if you manage to bubble wrap all the surrounding area behind your garden gate so it has a soft landing when they punt it over.
I wish they'd get that far, they just never turn up and say "delivery attempted"
I have never ever had a successful yodel delivery

Apparently all of them.
He posted the same nonsense earlier in the thread, & proceeded to tell us that Titan Fall 2 had 'unique' gameplay :facepalm:
Nintendo switch launch

To be fair Titanfall 2 had some really amazing level design and no business being as good as it was. And of course for being different to other FPS games it was rewarded with poor sales.

Nintendo are no worse than the rest of the industry for repackaging games, you only have to look at the amount of sequels we see.

To be fair Titanfall 2 had some really amazing level design and no business being as good as it was. And of course for being different to other FPS games it was rewarded with poor sales.

Nintendo are no worse than the rest of the industry for repackaging games, you only have to look at the amount of sequels we see.
The 3D Mario titles since Mario 64, are as far away from 'repackaged' as you can get without it being a completely different genre of game.

Plus titanfall 2 is the only game called titanfall 2 so I'd say that's pretty unique.

I have to say I do blame addyb for this all getting out of hand. Not enough modding and too much kitty kicking for my liking. I will have to report this cat being kicked, unless the cat made a hilarious sound as he flew through the air (preferably in slow mo).

Looking at this photo, I couldn't help but wonder if Nintendo should consider adding cup holders at the top of the Joy-con grips, to help sales of the grip in the US :laugh:

IMG_1133.JPG

The 3D Mario titles since Mario 64, are as far away from 'repackaged' as you can get without it being a completely different genre of game.

Yeah I mean eventually you get to the point of what can you do to make it different but not worse. I think one argument that even the most ardent Nintendo fans can't deny is there hasn't been a focus on just pure gameplay from Nintendo in the Wii U's generation.

Star Fox Zero is the perfect example, just let us play the game with the pro controller. I don't want to control the sodding thing with the camera or motion controls.

But if you look at BOTW, it's different and it looks fresh but it isn't some vast change, it's small things and a focus on the actual game, no gimmicks.

Plus titanfall 2 is the only game called titanfall 2 so I'd say that's pretty unique.

I have to say I do blame addyb for this all getting out of hand. Not enough modding and too much kitty kicking for my liking. I will have to report this cat being kicked, unless the cat made a hilarious sound as he flew through the air (preferably in slow mo).
It's all caught on video and available on YouTube. :thumbsup:

Star Fox Zero is the perfect example, just let us play the game with the pro controller. I don't want to control the sodding thing with the camera or motion controls.
I quite liked the controls once I go used to them (caveat being you have to put in time to get used to them).

With games needing to be controllable with only the joy-cons (tablet docked for TV play), this situation shouldn't occur again with the Switch.

Yeh got to agree here - each Mario introduced a different look and a different way to play - same with the Zelda games too :)

....But if you look at BOTW, it's different and it looks fresh but it isn't some vast change, it's small things and a focus on the actual game, no gimmicks.

Not wanting to start any kind of hate or negative feeling (that thread got hadokened down!) but this is exactly where Nintendo are at their best, pure gameplay and no gimmicks. I wonder why then that they have to make 'gimmicky' consoles with weird and wonderful control mechanisms and try to make games that fit around that with varying degrees of success.

Please correct me if I'm wrong but I don't think a single Nintendo game that has been a runaway success or classic has benefited from their 'revolutionary' or 'game changing' control schemes. Super Mario Galaxy 1 and 2 didn't have motion control integral to the gameplay, neither did Zelda skyward sword (you could easily have just mapped the sword strikes to buttons, the motion stuff felt tagged on I felt).
Not a single game for the Wii u made by Nintendo comes to mind that made the tablet controller essential other than Nintendoland which was a tech demo more than a fully fledged game. Games that did use these alternative control schemes were either flops or met with mixed reviews some loving it some hating it e.g. Star Fox for Wii u.

This isn't aimed at the switch but rather Nintendo as a whole especially since the Wii days. We already have a great control scheme that YOU GUYS INVENTED! it's doesn't need improving imo just concentrate on amazing gameplay that's all we need.

True. At least it gives me plenty of time to get through my Wii U backlog before it takes its pride of place in the loft next to all my jazz mags.

Im so glad you said jazz mags.....

Saf- SMG did have motion control as part of the gameplay, the wiimote was shaken to spin Mario plus you pointed the wiinote to collect the star bits.

I actually found the wiimote and nunchuck a superb and innovative new way to play Mario compared to its predecessor (SM64)

Not wanting to start any kind of hate or negative feeling (that thread got hadokened down!) but this is exactly where Nintendo are at their best, pure gameplay and no gimmicks. I wonder why then that they have to make 'gimmicky' consoles with weird and wonderful control mechanisms and try to make games that fit around that with varying degrees of success.

Please correct me if I'm wrong but I don't think a single Nintendo game that has been a runaway success or classic has benefited from their 'revolutionary' or 'game changing' control schemes. Super Mario Galaxy 1 and 2 didn't have motion control integral to the gameplay, neither did Zelda skyward sword (you could easily have just mapped the sword strikes to buttons, the motion stuff felt tagged on I felt).
Not a single game for the Wii u made by Nintendo comes to mind that made the tablet controller essential other than Nintendoland which was a tech demo more than a fully fledged game. Games that did use these alternative control schemes were either flops or met with mixed reviews some loving it some hating it e.g. Star Fox for Wii u.

This isn't aimed at the switch but rather Nintendo as a whole especially since the Wii days. We already have a great control scheme that YOU GUYS INVENTED! it's doesn't need improving imo just concentrate on amazing gameplay that's all we need.

I think the answer to that is the Wii and DS were such a huge success that they want to repeat it.

I firmly believe BOTW will be a return to form for them.

Saf- SMG did have motion control as part of the gameplay, the wiimote was shaken to spin Mario plus you pointed the wiinote to collect the star bits.

I actually found the wiimote and nunchuck a superb and innovative new way to play Mario compared to its predecessor (SM64)

I think what Saf meant was that the motion control wasn't in anyway essential, all the motion functions in Galaxy could have been done more fluidly on a controller, in fact the only real complaint I ever remember there being about Galaxy was that you had to play it with the Wiimote and Nunchuck.

I found the wiimote and nunchuck an excellent way to play the game. So different.

Analogue controls on Mario 64/Zelda OOT etc. The game wouldn't have worked very well with a D-pad & analogue controls were unheard of on consoles. The analogue stick also showed that fps were viable on a home console without a keyboard & mouse. Analogue stick was essential for most games on the N64.

Wii Sports wouldn't have been successful or even half as much fun if it just had standard d-pad/analogue controls.
Metroid 3 (& the Metroid Prime trilogy) makes very good use of the Wiimote & are more immersive than the originals with analogue controls. Warioware on the Wii is also very unique & offers different gameplay that other titles in the series can't offer. Agree that the vast majority of Wii games didn't need motion controls, but the few that did are very good for it.

Wii U I agree most games didn't need the Gamepad. The only game that comes to mind that may have benefited is Captain Toad. It was to be expected though, as the vast majority of the Nintendo Wii U titles are multiplayer games, so you can't really design the game to have essential gameplay features on the Gamepad if you have another 3 players without a Gamepad.

The Switch seems to be much more traditional with everything needing to support dual/single joy-con controls.

Yes as deadtech mentioned above it wasn't anything essential. The spin move could have been mapped to a button. In fact there were a few threads (not on here) about how some people didn't like the flick your wrist to spin mechanic. Point is, put that game on a 'normal' controller and no one complains, add a gimmicky/non essential control scheme to it, suddenly that becomes a focus point.

I know I bang on about it but something like zombiu was the perfect game for me on Wii u and totally justified the tablet controller. Now that was something that couldn't be replicated in a conventional controller. The experience with that tablet controller was awesome.

Nintendo haven't made their control schemes essential to any of their franchises, not that I know of anyway.

Is anyone aware of anywhere that will let us try the Switch prior to launch? I'm considering holding off until the summer in all honesty. The more I think about it I just don't think I can justify the cost at launch really.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom