Nintendo Switch (formerly NX) pre-launch discussion and rumours

Shigeru Miyamoto talking at the Apple conference.
Super Mario Run
Includes an online battle mode

Sign of things to come?

Last edited:
Blimey! When?

Edit: by Holidays 2016

Best get on with it as I'm on holiday today!

(I know....)

They are saying that Super Mario Run won't be free to play. I can see it now - £39.99.

I reckon they will aim for something like £5.99 a one off cost.
Pokemon Go coming to the watch with innovative features to get you off the couch.
This is what I meant that Nintendo could integrate into their consoles games.

They are saying that Super Mario Run won't be free to play. I can see it now - £39.99.

No - but it will be fixed price / buy once. I'll go for £4.99.

I'm going free, with microtransactions.

I really hope Phone Apps aren't the future for Nintendo, I would have preferred them to go third party on rival consoles than releasing smartphone lite versions of their IP.

I really hope Phone Apps aren't the future for Nintendo, I would have preferred them to go third party on rival consoles than releasing smartphone lite versions of their IP.

I think they will be part of the future, but only a part.

What's different with the new 3ds? The last time I checked the new one had a little nub/ is there now another?

Two months.

Sony reveals PS4 Pro with 4K graphics - BBC News

The PS4 Pro will be able to render games with ultra-high definition 4K graphics, sharper than 1080p HD.

PlayStation 4 Pro: Release date, news and features of the new PS4

The PlayStation 4 Pro will be built to allow games to run at 4K – for people who have a 4K television, of course.

I think you'll find it won't be all singing all dancing 4K a la £600 GPU. Even that has to compromise on settings to run smoothly.

It will likely be a combination of improved resolution, graphics and effects to the PS4 and some upscaling. It won't be true full resolution 4K gaming.

Last edited:
I think it's a great move.
Expose the masses to all the great IPs and then draw them in to the console.

Those great IPs will fade away unused and under utilised if they don't remain current in the newer generation of casuals and gamers.

Nintendo should learn from Disney how to monetise and maintain their IPs.

I think you'll find it won't be all singing all dancing 4K a la £600 GPU. Even that has to compromise on settings to run smoothly.

It will likely be a combination of improved resolution, graphics and effects to the PS4 and some upscaling. It won't be true full resolution 4K gaming.

And the lack of UHD Blu-ray drive is a real mistake, as far as I'm concerned.

And the lack of UHD Blu-ray drive is a real mistake, as far as I'm concerned.
True, but you can say the same about the NX.

You could, but there would be no expectation on the NX to have a UHD drive. Sony have previously led the way with regards to DVD and Blu-Ray adoption. It is a coup for Microsoft in my opinion.

Hardly a comparison though is it?
Nintendo is famous for NOT competing with Sony or MS.
They have never played optical media. Whereas Sony has been fighting format wars, has vested interested and is known as leading the way, often.

I was holding purely for the UHD video element so I'm disappointed as I have to buy a UHD player that I won't be using frequently enough to justify the price.

Two months.

The PS4 Pro will be able to render games with ultra-high definition 4K graphics, sharper than 1080p HD.

The PlayStation 4 Pro will be built to allow games to run at 4K – for people who have a 4K television, of course.

@Sonic67
just to add since you've raised this question before, this should clear up true 4k capabilities

PlayStation 4 Pro games look amazing, but don't expect real 4K

One thing to take from the ps4 situation is HDR seems to be a bigger driver than 4k and doesn't seem that power hungry to implement. Could be interesting if Nintendo include this on the nx but stick with lower resolutions. But uhd is pointless here, I can't see Nintendo joining the media wars, especially if they are planning to use cartridges again.

One thing to take from the ps4 situation is HDR seems to be a bigger driver than 4k and doesn't seem that power hungry to implement.
Maybe. From a consumer point of view maybe not. Lots of TVs are 4K but very few support HDR.

Two months.

It's a 4k upscaler like the Xbox One S. Think we have to wait for the Xbox Scorpio to have actual 4k console gaming.

Yeah I get that to some extent. It depends on the game. There may be games like Super Stardust etc in true 4K. The rest will also certainly be full 1080p at least which should still upscale fine. The NX? Maybe 720p upscaled to 1080p and then even beyond that upscaled again to 4k? I think the NX should look fine providing you stay away from seeing the latest consoles.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom