Nintendo Revolution to have wifi and backwards compatibility.

Discussion in 'Nintendo Forums' started by oxygenuk, Mar 11, 2005.

1. oxygenuk

oxygenuk
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    source: http://news.gaminghorizon.com/media2/1110511980.375.html

this is a big step up for nintendo and which will up their stake in the console wars id imagine ;)

2. Tejstar

Tejstar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,152
    But will it have any hi-def functionality? I’m sure this will be one of the big pushes for next-gen hardware.

3. Miyazaki

Miyazaki

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +850
    The gamecube was such a let down in many areas, lets hope the next one will live up to nintendo's reputation!

4. betamac

betamac

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well i am sure not everyone will agree with that (including me) thats all personal oppinion but lets not start anouther war

Wifi is good as its a free way of playing online which is the best way :) (Thats of course for the people who have wireless networks already setup like me)

Backwards compatability is not something i was desperate for but i am sure its a worthwhile inclusion for alot of people

5. CAS FAN

CAS FAN
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8,372
    It wasn't a let down for me personally. It had stacks of great games on it and it offered something different from the other two. The X-Box & PS2 were essentially the same thing with the same types of games on each console (i'm not comparing technological specs here or the fact that X-Box live is a better & more successful system than PS2 online, just the type of games on the consoles).

The GC offered the likes of SMKDD, SMB, Tales of Symphonia, Harvest Moon, Animal Crossing, Zelda, F-Zero & RE4 as well as the likes of Donkey Kongo, Wario Ware inc & Mario Party 6. Proper Online would have been nice but that's the only downside for me. I loved the design of the console (very similar to the DC) with the small size, flip top lid & 4 joypad ports.

6. AML

AML

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +228
    What exactly will Revoluton be backwards compatible with? Im assuming its the game cube, but it might mean another system like the DS. After all the DS uses wi-fi right?

As for hi def, they would be stupid not to since everyone else is, so im sure they will.

My concern is over what medium/format they will choose! Blu Ray or HD DVD or stick with mini DVDs?
    They need to give gamers everything they want like MS and Sony have done.
    A pure games system just isnt enough these days!
    they need to think about video playback and other such features.

Why didnt the Game Cube sell so well?
    Simple, coz when people go out to buy a system they all think the same thing. "which system is the best value?" and with that in mind they buy a machine that has the most to offer.
    (ie DVD playback, onlne gaming and so on.) The Xbox for example does it all and for a decent price.
    They need to stop thinking that just because they are "Nintendo" that every one will buy their console.

They need more flash, more big titles like Resi 4!, video playback like Blu Ray or HD DVD, online play with more online games and so forth .

Lets be honest here, would you be more likely or less likely to buy a Revolution if it had HD-DVD playability for example?
    I know I would get one, maybe even just for that!
    I know nintendo fans will be screaming "thats not what ninty is all about" and maybe you are right, but they need to change because the market has. And if they dont get with the program, this machine will be their last.
    Haveing "exclusive nintendo titles" wont save them. It didnt save Sega's Dreamcast!

7. Rob20

Rob20

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +779
    The GC lacks FPS, and in the last year or so 3rd party support. Lack of driving games and PES.

8. Miyazaki

Miyazaki

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +850
    Exactly rob20.

I have a gamecube, and found it so frustrating that it went "online" in stealth mode, no games are playable online, can you imagine if mario kart was online? EVERYONE would own a gc.

They never advertised or marketed it, and as such 3rd party developers have shied away from it. If you were to buy one console the last one would be a gc as the other 2 have far more games and are both online.

Dont get me wrong i love my gc, it just winds me up how nintendo commit suicide, and now they have the ds against the psp. There is no competition. Its like a sumo fight between an ant and a hippo :mad:

Get your act together nintendo before you go under!

9. betamac

betamac

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    With that statement you seem to be trying to speak for everyone, it should read "if I were"

As many people do not share your oppinion, for example if I were to buy one console it could only be the gamecube as its got loads of games you cant play on the other 2 consoles, and those 2 dont have games that interest me.

Oppinions are great and what forums are about but dont try and speak for other people as everyone can speak for themself

10. betamac

betamac

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    If that is correct then Sony has a HUGE advantage over XBOX2 already as XBOX 2 uses normal DVD when the PS3 will be Blu Ray,

I Suspect Nintendo will go with a new type of disk like the gamecube but not HD DVD or Blu Ray, but it could also read standard DVD if they wanted it to no doubt

11. CAS FAN

CAS FAN
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8,372
    I agree that Nintendo should have got online sorted. Infact that have the perfect online games! MKDD, SMB, FZERO etc would all be awesome online! The console is superb but if one console should have proper online funcionality it should have been the GC!

I agree mate - Sega & Nintendo are king in my book when it comes to making games but they simply lack the marketing knowhow that Sony & M$ have. If the big N doesn't sort it out then it can't compete! MKDD would be one of the best ever online games you'll ever play yet Ninty didn't see this! :(

12. RL123

RL123

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    lol I love the over-reactions of this forum sometimes :rotfl:

Nintendo are the only console makers actually making profit...and that's a fact! Microsoft have lost how much? About £3bn iirc and Sony are only just making a profit although that's subsidising all the losses elsewhere at Sony

So, yeah, my point is erm...Nintendo are doomed like everyone is saying :suicide: They're making massive profit, supporting 3 consoles with development under way for another 2...would they be doing that if they - even remotely - thought that they were in trouble or would go bankrupt in the future? Keep in mind that you're just laymen and Nintendo is run by multi-billionaire businessmen...who I think know what they're doing slightly more than you do ;)

13. Rob20

Rob20

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +779
    While online gaming may not have been that important for this gen, (due to so few people having a BB connection), BB speeds are constatntly increasing and so are the number of people have it. A 1MByte connection costs just £18pm these days. Easily enough for internet use and online gaming. Personally I can't understand why people use dial up when BB isn't that much more expensive. As more people get BB for their pcs for the internet, more people will then have a connection quick enough for gamine and so will benefit XBox2, PS3 and Reolution. Most people have a pc these days, and most will use theirs for online shopping or sites such as these, email etc. It's not as though many people will be paying for an internet connection just for console gaming online. In which case £18pm would be expensive on top of a yearly fee from Microsoft/Nintendo/Sony.

14. AML

AML

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +228
    Just because we dont own a games company you think that we dont know anything about games?
    Look at AV Forums games section. Its "XBox this" and "PS2 That"
    hardly anyone talks about the GC.
    Nintendo are in danger of becoming a niche market.
    They need to think bigger.
    Sony and MS may not be making a lot of proffit but they are taking the market between them.
    Look at MS. The Xbox hasnt been out that long and already in most markets has over taken nintendo, a company in this business for 50 years? you cant negate that!
    Theres more to the games market than whether they are making proffit or not.
    MS have it twice as hard as anyone else and they still did really well with the Xbox.
    Different age groups and marketing is what its all about these days.
    Kids dont care about whcih console is "cheaper" or "more original", they care about what machine is the most popular and has the most/best games.
    Thats why the PS2 has sold more than any other console.
    And why the XBox is hot on its heals and why the Game Cube is dead!

15. Tejstar

Tejstar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,152
    What happened to the sequel to Perfect Dark? :confused:

16. oxygenuk

oxygenuk
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13

dunno but i can tell u its coming to xbox2

17. Miyazaki

Miyazaki

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +850
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/3754223.stm

Nintendo are in a very precarious position. Don't forget both Microsoft and Sony have their fingers in many pies and can afford to lose money in the short term in the console war. Nintendo are the smallest out of all 3 companies and only have Pokemon outside of consoles and games, with the gamecube underperforming by even modest standards.

18. Miyazaki

Miyazaki

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +850
    I read a statistic somewhere that said 4 million homes in the uk now have broadband. You only have to go on xbox live to see just how many people are on there. Look at the rankings, on games such as pgr2 it goes into 100,000. Hardly something to be sniffed at.

One of the main reasons xbox has started to perform so well these last 12 months is the monopoly it has on console online games. the ps2 online is woeful, yet the xbox has implemented it so well, and xbox live can be at times an absolute joy.