• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Nintendo posts latest annual results FY2013/14

Daft Ada

Distinguished Member
So the latest results have been posted and as expected it wasn't good news for Wii U. 2.72m units shifted last FY, takes it up to 6.17m in total. They expect to sell 3.6m in FY2014/15, which sounds really low to me - MK 8 would surely help sell that many on its own!?

3DS didn't do too badly, selling 12m for a total of 43m.

They also mentioned revealing the new 'quality of life' platform sometime this FY.

Tazbot

Distinguished Member
Not good news looking at it from a financial point of view. 3DS is still doing exceptionally well imo especially when you factor in other 'handheld' devices out there (phones, ipads etc). Wii U plus 3DS is a great combo for survival so overall, not bad results.

I agree that 3.6 million does sound low but Mario Kart 8 and Smash Brothers should really help Wii U reach that, and perhaps go well beyond. Remember what Mario Kart 7 did for 3DS and Mario Kart did for Wii? both sold exceptionally well so fingers crossed Mario Kart 8 does the same for Wii U.

Last edited:

Daft Ada

Distinguished Member
A 3.6m hardware / 20m software forecast for the full year is worryingly low. To me that says they don't have any other big titles beyond MK 8 or Smash Bros. So basically no Zelda at Xmas or anything else that'll shift consoles in the whole year.

addyb

Distinguished Member
I think they just have to ride out the Wii U as long as they can now. They should concentrate on a new handheld type device that can connect to your tv. That's just my idea.

BJQ1972

Nintendo's net loss was 134 Million Quid.

For comparison, Sony's net loss this year was 770 Million. Not as widely reported in the gaming press though.

sjw

Nintendo's net loss was 134 Million Quid.

For comparison, Sony's net loss this year was 770 Million. Not as widely reported in the gaming press though.
Probably because the PS4 sold more in months than the Wii U still has in its history. And is selling less than ever and easily on course to be Nintendo's lowest selling console ever? And despite the launch of MK8 still only expect 3m or so consoles this financial year? Even Nintendo haven't really tried to put a positive spin on it so to try is rather futile.

BJQ1972

There is no way to put a positive spin on it. Epic said the other week that a third of the amount of triple A games were in development this console gen, and those games would cost three times the amount to make. The games industry as a whole is heading towards a crash. All it needs is a couple of big budget flops, and it will end up like the movie industry in the 60s.

Gazaman

I still think the main issue has been marketing. To be brutally honest, other than us nerds/enthusiasts who visit forums etc,nobody knows anything about the Wii u. I asked some of the guys at work and they didn't know what it was,what it did and what the difference was between it and the Wii.
How the hell can they expect to sell it without putting it out there for people to see.
I think it has what it takes to survive but unless they actually give it the exposure it deserves then I fear the worst.

paul1979

Distinguished Member
They said they were going to
Focus on games to integrat more with the tab. This for me is a bad idea as the tab bumps up the price. I think they should do a pack with the ds and make the ds the tablet part if required. Then they move units and shift more software for the ds as a stand alone. They could also also kill
The tablet and lover the price sub £150. This then becomes an I purchase buy for special games.

I think in 2y the wii u will be gone and may be a new hand held in. At that point Nintendo should have one one more roll of the dice with esentialy just a high powered console when people are boated with ps4/xb1 and want something to slice up gaming life. Snes 2?

Tazbot

Distinguished Member
They said they were going to
Focus on games to integrat more with the tab. This for me is a bad idea as the tab bumps up the price. I think they should do a pack with the ds and make the ds the tablet part if required. Then they move units and shift more software for the ds as a stand alone. They could also also kill
The tablet and lover the price sub £150. This then becomes an I purchase buy for special games.

I think in 2y the wii u will be gone and may be a new hand held in. At that point Nintendo should have one one more roll of the dice with esentialy just a high powered console when people are boated with ps4/xb1 and want something to slice up gaming life. Snes 2?

I don't think the pad is the problem with the Wii U - I think it's the name and bad marketing that's caused its demise. Killing the tablet won't, imo, help sales, even if it meant lowering the price significantly. Many say that people still don't know what Wii U is so omitting the tablet won't make any difference imo plus it's an integral part of the console (unless they can make it work with out). Replacing the pad with a 2DS is perhaps possible but how will it play off screen Wii U games? - different technology surely and it all costs money to develop - losing money is something Nintendo are being bashed for right now. Nintendo are in fact bringing a vast library of (Gameboy Advance) games to Wii U and who's to say they won't bring DS games etc to it as well.

In 2 years Wii U will still probably be here as it won't have reached its 5th year of life (Nintendo consoles seem to roost for 5 years). Nintendo need to ride it out 'till Xmas 2017, then Wii U will have done its 5 year life and maybe then, we will learn of a replacement.

I think its replacement will be some kind of very powerful tablet that will work with or without a TV and its games will be more digital rather than physical.

What ever happens, I hope to be able to enjoy what ever software comes to Wii U for the remainder of its life.

Last edited:

Daft Ada

Distinguished Member
Link to the Nintendo briefing

- Iwata says 3DS is at 43m units so it's time to start captitalising on this install base
- Pokemon helped shift a lot of consoles in Q3/4 last year
- Tomodachi Life launching internationally in June
- 3rd Party titles like Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate and Yokai Watch 2 inbound
- Looking to regain momentum on Wii U with MK 8 and Smash Bros
- System update in June that'll cut start up time by 20 seconds
- First smartphone app launched will be MKTV. Can show replays and rankings.
- IP looking at massively expanding IP licensing in new areas (tv/film/toys)
- New NFC figurines called NFP (NFC Featured Platform) launching later this year
- Figurines can be used to interact with games, even hold save files
- In development since last year
- More details, including first NFP game, at E3
- Wii U now profitable
- More games shown off at E3
- Quality of Life platform expected in next financial year
- Established a Business Development department to handle new ideas, smartphone strategy, NFP
- Ideas in place for next hardware
- Not looking to replace Wii U yet as this would lead to mistrust by consumers, and lead to Sega situation with Saturn
- Developers moving into new Kyoto building in June
- Will allow all teams to share expertise
- Strategy for emerging markets does not include localising high cost games
- China situation being monitored
- 3.6m Wii U forecast is not their best estimate, chose their lowest estimate

Daft Ada

Distinguished Member
Nintendo also updated their million-seller list:

New Super Mario Bros U - 4.1m
Nintendoland - 2.6m
Super Mario 3D World - 2.17m
New Super Luigi U - 1.76m
Wii Party U - 1.35m
Zelda Wind Waker HD - 1.22m

A real shame Pikmin 3 isn't on that list :(

paul1979

Distinguished Member
@ taz I agree a large, may be largest part is the name. Snes 2 or
Wii 2 would have been what I wanted. Anyhow "wii" got wii u!

I still think lower of price would help and a direct sub for console could be the 2ds xl or something!

Fact is I live wii u. I have become so board with ps4 it's unreal. It's now just a netflix player. Even new game I have not bothered with and I can't see mr again until tlou is out as I want to replay this. My wii u I am now on most days and both loving and hating mario u! I live the design like the snes days and hate some of the difficulties. I really want sunshine mario and luigi mansion on it though!

everett_psycho

Distinguished Member
The trouble with the Wii u branding is there's no obvious differentiation to the Wii for the masses, pair that with the sheer volume of Wii's that rarely got played and even if they could tell the difference they don't want to get it as it will not get used. I still think it should have been the super Wii or something completely different.

Looks like they have some different plans to sort their troubles though, you never know the NFC figures could make money, skylanders obviously worked. Is it just me that thinks that Nintendo could learn something from Sony at the moment, the 3ds and Wii u seem so separate, Sony have tied the vita and ps4 together really well, this could probably be resolved with software updates. That is as they are bringing ds games why not being 3ds games too, I think it would push me to buy one if I could play the game at home and on the move and may help shift some Wii u units.

On the plus side the Wii u is profitable so it's not like they are losing quite so much money now

The latest video from AVForums

Guardians of the Galaxy Xmas Special, Strange World, Bones and All, and Cabinet of Dr Caligari in 4K
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom