Nintendo in slight trouble?

A big decrease alright... But then the Yen has always threatened to get stronger. I would love to see Microsofts white paper though for the sales since they must be loosing at least $100 per console... Thing is though for Microsoft its nothing since they have plenty left in the bank.

It'll be interesting to see what Nintendo does.. They've outsourced the GameCube hardware to other production companies outside of Japan to lower the cost of the Gamecube to a possible £99 by this Xmas... We would have to wait and see though.

Microsoft hasn't even begun to lose money as far as the XBox is concerned. Just wait to see how much they sink into XBox Live. :D

On topic, I wonder if Nintendo's stock drop can also be partly attributed to the rumours that they might be leaving the hardware market.

people listen, even though nintendo have lowered their consoles projection by a couple of million units, they have something up their sleeves, trust me nintendo although unpredictable at times, they seem as though they have a big announcement to make, look they didnt even hesistate to sell their share in rare to microsoft.
go to www.igncube.com a japaneses magazine has said that ninty are set to make big plans that will make the gamecube ''boom'' in sales.
lets just see.

I've got nothing against Nintendo, and think they are a solid game company, but I think we've seen everything they've got up their sleeve. They will concentrate on the Gameboy/Gamecube, and releasing more exclusive sequels, but I really don't expect anything groundbreaking from them for the next little while.

Course, I could be wrong.

I know someone who knows someone high up at Rare and the reason behind Microsoft bagging the software company was money. Nintendo were outbid.

If that last statement was true then it just illustrates that money talks. Rare has had a good relationship with Nintendo and if it only boiled down to money then fair enough. Nintendo has given out their reasons (that Rare wasn't profitable blah blah) but I'm sure there were many other factors at work than just money.

My guess is that even though Nintendo gave Rare a free reign in terms of design, Rare wanted more... Either in terms of sales or just freedom of speech. Rare has grown massively within the last few years with few products to show for. Of course now that Microsoft owns them they will show the products they had in store for the last 3 years, just to silence the doubters.

As for Nintendo having something special ready... I can't see it personally. Most of the cards have been played but then its still in its first full year, much like the Xbox. The only thing I can see is a further price drop on the GameCube and the new Panasonic Q that was announced a fair while ago. Other than the GBA related stuff theres little to announce for the Gamecube itself since Nintendo are not fans of online gaming.

The rumours about Nintendo leaving the hardware market has always been around since the N64 days but out came the GameCube. It'll be interesting to see what happens next though because if Nintendo does become a 3rd party I'm sure Sony and Microsoft will be very anxious to snap them up... Personally I can't see it happening for another 3 years but then its crunch time...

If that happens, I think Nintendo would be wise to stay independent, and play Sony and MS off against each other, forcing them to bid for exclusive rights of games on a game-by-game basis.

Provided MS takes some of Sony's market share to balance the two companies out, it could turn into a very lucrative market for game designers.

Originally posted by ricdiggle
I know someone who knows someone high up at Rare and the reason behind Microsoft bagging the software company was money. Nintendo were outbid.
I am afraid that is complete nonsense a few months ago nintendo had the chance to buy rare out completely (and this was with no competition) they turned that offer down as they did not think it was in there best interest, so when MS came in nintendo had no problems in selling there share it certainly was nothing to do with been outbid.

I only put what I was told. The person I know is indeed close to someone at Rare and that was the story they had.

I have no interest in speading lies, or indeed, any interest in Nintendo or Rare. (OK I used to play Donkey Kong a lot on the N64)

I posted the info as a matter of interest, not to be told that I talk bolocks.

Richard

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom