Nintendo DS for 2 year old?

IanW

Hi peeps,

I am wondering what to get my 2 year old daughter for Xmas; I was thinking of a Nintendo DS. I know that she will not really get what is going on, but all the baby video games that I have tried her with all seem really slow and she loses interest. The games that she has shown interest in is stuff running on the PC - she loves the cbeebies website (well done beeb :smashin:).

She LOVES technology (wonder where she gets that from? :rolleyes:) and I just thought that this might work well. What is the minimum age that anyone has given a DS to (without being silly! :lesson:) and how well did it go?

Cheers,

Ian.

Bone Doctor

Standard Member
I wouldn't risk it - my two year old dropped his sisters from 1 foot onto carpeted floor and the hinge cracked. I bought a new case and then following forums etc realised that there was a very high risk of breaking the cable for the screen Nintendo quoted £45!

sonygeek84

Standard Member
My sister has a DS and shes 15, I've seen my cousins who are 11 and 13 play on it and they were fine. But I think the younger they are the tougher case you need unless you want to replace it quite often?

MrSossidge

Distinguished Member
My kids are 5 and 6 but they've been playing on the mrs DS since they were 4 and 5 but the 4 year old (as was) didn't really have a clue, he just wanted to play because the other one was playing.

Codehead

Distinguished Member
The Leapster or V-Smile would be a much better bet. My kids love them, they have DSs too, but still play the 'easier' games on the V-Smile. The Leapster handheld has a touch screen and loads of cheap games in Toys r us.
IIRC, there is a handheld versions of the V-Smile too if you don't want to have the kids hogging the telly.

Last edited:

captainff

As an alternative why not a 2nd hand GBA SP?

Gamestation have them for about £15 to £20 and the folding design will allow your 2 year old to think they have a special DS. Worked for me with a 4 year old.

;)

theo cupier

Re: Nintendo DS for 2 year old?
Sounds like a fair swap. Unfortunatley I don't have any spare 2 year olds to hand, but you're welcome to my 3 year old...

Anyway, my 3 year old does occasionally play on her older brother's DS. He has Micro Machines & Super Mario Bros.

It's quite hard work letting her play it because she tends to just press buttons rather than actually playing the games so often ends up getting stuck at something, or needing someone's help to get her out of the menu system she's randomly got into. (One time I had to reset all the main menu settings of the DS when she somehow came out of a game and reconfigured the entire DS into Japanese).

There may be games that are easier to use for the very young than those her brother favours (he's all of 7, by the way) but they won't be an order of magnitude easier I suspect. She'll probably be better with other game websites like cbeebies, or maybe with a LeapPad system.

G a f f e r

IanW

The Leapster or V-Smile would be a much better bet. My kids love them, they have DSs too, but still play the 'easier' games on the V-Smile. The Leapster handheld has a touch screen and loads of cheap games in Toys r us.
IIRC, there is a handheld versions of the V-Smile too if you don't want to have the kids hogging the telly.

I did wonder about v-smile, we had the v-smile baby, but she did not like it, it reacted way too slowly. Maybe the older v-smile might be better.

Ian.

sdb123

Distinguished Member
I honestly think that a DS should only be considered for a child around 6 years +. :)

IanW

Cheers peeps,

After everyones feedback, we are going to go for the new V.Smile Cyber Pocket. Should be much more rugged than the DS and hopefully for her, just as much fun. :clap:

Ian.

fatfingers73

Cheers peeps,

After everyones feedback, we are going to go for the new V.Smile Cyber Pocket. Should be much more rugged than the DS and hopefully for her, just as much fun. :clap:

Ian.

I've just bought my son a leapster 2 for his 3rd birthday. He loves it, especially the ratatouille game. ToysRus are doing 3 games for the price of 2 at the moment.

I wont let him touch my DS as he's too heavy handed with the pen. He has his own PSP though.

lookcoverwrite

Standard Member
I think you shoudn't because she is very small when she is 4 then I think it is ideal.:thumbsup:

tokwitney

My 4yr old daughter plays her mums all the time,its a bit of a pain as she cant really read yet,but she soon gets the hang of Cooking Mama 2,I did it Mum,crayola etc.
I would say3 1/2 to 4 is the ideal age really.

lookcoverwrite

Standard Member
Thats your opionon, but I reccommed no, because 2 years old can't read yet. 4 years old is ideal as I am saying again!

RBZ5416

Distinguished Member
After everyones feedback, we are going to go for the new V.Smile Cyber Pocket.
If you haven't already done the deed, I'd be inclined to go for the original Pocket. That fold out screen looks way too susceptible when it inevitably takes a tumble & I'd worry about the stylus & touch screen at that age.

Whichever you go for, it's worth signing up to their club as they sometimes have some good offers on games & accessories.

CounterWhine

Does anyone have any recommendations for DS games for young gamers? My son's getting one for Christmas (he's 5). He's pretty handy with the kind of 2D games you find on the internet but hasn't really been tested in 3D environments yet. The DS is bundled with Mario Kart and I was thinking of getting him Lego Batman because he likes "helping" me with Lego Star Wars on the 360 and likes Batman too.

Any recommendations appreciated.

captainff

Lego Star Wars is a good choice!!

Sonic Rush is popular in this household, along with New Super Mario Bros.

Miyazaki

Distinguished Member
Hi peeps,

I am wondering what to get my 2 year old daughter for Xmas; I was thinking of a Nintendo DS. I know that she will not really get what is going on, but all the baby video games that I have tried her with all seem really slow and she loses interest. The games that she has shown interest in is stuff running on the PC - she loves the cbeebies website (well done beeb :smashin:).

She LOVES technology (wonder where she gets that from? :rolleyes:) and I just thought that this might work well. What is the minimum age that anyone has given a DS to (without being silly! :lesson:) and how well did it go?

Cheers,

Ian.

I think it is an awful idea to give something like that to a 2 year old.

Sets a terrible precident IMO.

scott R

My 2 year old kept stealing the other kis DS's so i gave him my old GBA SP with Sonic he sits all day just watching the intros. Oddly hes a dab hand at Samba Di Aigo on the Wii.

I wouldnt buy a 2 year old a DS unless its an excuse for yourself

I just got my 7 year old a 360 it was for him honest :D

randan

Standard Member
I would echo the feeling of the others who have replied here - 2 y.o. is really too young to get any benefit from a DS as they screen is small and most if not all games are for 3y+ and even then a lot of them should really be 6y+ IMHO.

I have a 7 year old and she is very careful with the DS and has never broken it but as previously mentioned the hinges are a weak point.

Kind regards

The latest video from AVForums

Star Wars Andor, Woman King, more Star Trek 4K, Rings of Power & the latest TV, movies & 4K releases
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Latest News

What's new on Netflix (UK) for October 2022
  • By Ian Collen
  • Published
Starzplay streaming service rebrands as Lionsgate+
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
JVC adds Filmmaker Mode to latest D-ILA projector firmware
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Bowers & Wilkins launches Px8 headphone