1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Nintendo cutting Cube prices by 50%?

Discussion in 'General Video Gaming Chat' started by Squiffy, Oct 3, 2003.

1. Squiffy

Squiffy
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,791
    According to theregister Nintendo is cutting GC prices across UK and Europe by up to 50%.

A pro-active move, or out of desperation to clear their inventory of unsold stock before they restart production?

2. Taz

Taz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    hmm... £80 in the UK and over the water...
    99 Euro = 69.29 UK Sterling
    Exchange rate: 0.69989

Just not right eh!

3. RL123

RL123

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    US price is without sales tax though. UK price is with VAT. So it only works out about £6 more expensive for us.

4. museumsteve

museumsteve

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,007
    official price drop from next Friday..£79.99 :) good move by Nintendo

5. Taz

Taz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Steve, as a man in the know, how much was the SNES & N64 when they were in their prime? More than £80 I bet!

6. Miyazaki

Miyazaki

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +849
    Suits me. I'll probably buy one if they are RRP of £80. Probably translates to £80 plus a free game or two in gamestation / game. To be quite frank, i don't really care if Nintendo go out of the console business, as it's their games i'm interested in, not their p!ss poor hardware. I mean what the heck does the gamecube look like? Some sort of neo-camp handbag with it's handle and lovely purple colour :) ;)

7. betamac

betamac

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    In the U.S sales have increased by 4 X since the price drop so great move by Nintendo they are surely at a price now that Microsoft dare not match with the current losses on XBOX, and Nintendo have still not taken losses on the hardware

As for gamecube looks, i have the platinum gamecube and i tell u what it looks a hell of alot sweeter than the other 2 consoles

there seems to be alot of talk about desperation, i ask you this what is a bigger sign of desperation? A Console having a price drop to a price where people cannot afford NOT to buy but at the same time still dont sell the hardware at a loss? OR sell the console at a HUGE loss in order to get people to buy it? :confused: XBOX :confused:

hmmmm thats a tough one :)

I dont wanna get into any war this is just a simple question

8. Miyazaki

Miyazaki

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +849
    i agree. I don't think microsoft could afford to make the xbox much cheaper. Also i believe they are commited to matching their prices or tying their prices to PS2, rather than Gamecube. Also, the Xbox player is more akin to the PS2 player, rather than the Gamecube player, on average.

That is they tend to be older, more into "adult" gaming such as fps games, and online games which gamecube doesn't provide, but ps2 increasingly does.

Any price drops certainly affect me as i'm more likely to buy any given console at a cheap enough price :D

Gamecube certainly seems to be the most cost effective for Nintendo. Maybe they were thinking about the stiffer market position they faced after the flop that was the N64, so re-thought the whole price vs features thing, which microsoft obviously favoured in the latter, and Nintendo in the former.

At the end of the day, it doesn't matter what price the console sells for, as people buy consoles for games, and with Nintendos slim line-up, however good, doesn't bode as attractive to the average gamer who likes a broad range of games, rather than the one or two per genre that Nintendo provides. As reviews of games are highly subjective, one man's Metroid is another man's Halo.

9. betamac

betamac

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I agree with most of what you said but i will say at £79 people will buy it just for 1 game not for the "Bigger Picture" EG a game like mario kart which many people will want to play, Resident Evil 4 getting alot of people excited, Rogue Sqraudron 3, Metal gear Solid etc if theres 1 big game that catches there eye at £79 they just wont walk away

that being said i still dont think the gamecube has a slim lineup yes some multi format games have not come to gamecube but a very small amount of those are even worthy of play, and theres some very big games on the way

10. Miyazaki

Miyazaki

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +849
    I'll probably buy one if it comes bundled with Rogue Squad 3 at £80. Although i tend to agree with people that say Nintendo is trying to get rid of their remaining Gamecubes and probably won't start producing them again. Just seems more logical to me. Nintendo's strength will always be in their first-party software, not in their hardware. It makes more sense for them to sell their software on PS2 and Xbox, and concentrate their hardware thoughts on the hand-held market, which seems to be far more profitable for them. Looking on amazon.co.uk recently i noticed the Xbox had a higher sales rating that either the gamecube (zelda bundle) or the ps2 (this was before the ps2 became feautred item and xbox was at around 16 and ps2 somewhere in the 20s or 30s). Seems their online gaming is taking off. Best of luck to Nintendo for the future. But for the home console market, it makes far more sense to concentrate on producing quality games, rather than lacklustre consoles.

11. betamac

betamac

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    So your basically saying they should stop producing consoles even though they are making profit from it? i dont know about you but if i was Nintendo i would carry on doing whatever makes me money and if consoles turn a profit i would continue to make them, dont forget sales are still higher worldwide for the cube over XBOX,

If you would think anyone would pull out it would be MS as i gaurentee if the XBOX was made by ANY other company in the world it would be dead and no longer made by now, no-one apart from MS would be willing to lose nearly 2 BILLION POUND on a console, its going to take them YEARS And YEARS and YEARS to make that back in there games division and turn a profit on XBOX/XBOX2/XBOX3 if they ever do.

P.S Are you THE Games Guru from Gamezville? :laugh:

12. Miyazaki

Miyazaki

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +849
    Thats true. Can you see Bill Gates conceding defeat though? No chance. They have a turnover more than most African countries, so whats 2 billion to Bill? (And where did you get this figure???). He probably sees xbox as a taxloss :D I also can't see how Nintendo can make a profit selling a console for £80 with a bundled game. That's just crazy to suggest they could.

I don't believe Xbox is competing directly with Gamecube anyway. Like i said PS2 and Xbox have a more common target audience than gamecube. Besides the Xbox and Gamecube are so weak sales wise compared to the PS2, i doubt if they are concerned with each other. I mean what gamer who liked pokemon would be interested in halo, or vice versa? Gamecube's strategy seems to be to get people to buy a second console in addition to an xbox or ps2. And MS strategy seems to be to take a market share away from PS2.

Its silly to suggest gamecube is competing still. Go into any high street shop and see the tiny row at the back of the shop that belongs to gamecube. In comparison to 3 or 4 rows for xbox and the rest of the shop for PS2 / PC

Even if people are buying gamecubes, retailers don't seem to be interested. Fact.

I'm not quite as good-looking as the games guru from gamezville ;) . He reminds me of the warthog from the lion king.

13. betamac

betamac

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    OK we can agree to disagree i think

All i will say is Yahoo reported 2 weeks ago worldwide sales is half a million ahead of XBOX so it is still competing and secondly loads of retailers in Europe and U.S have welcomed the price cut of the gamecube and expect great sales over the holiday season

and lastly the gamecube is NOT bundled with a game at £79 (Correct Me If I Am Wrong) and its rumoured it costs around £60 to produce gamecube.

nice to have a decent discussion for once even if we have different views, although i am a big Nintendo fan i have a PS2 as well which i think is a great console and as you say dominates all in sales/market share

After a little search on google i found this

http://moglen.law.columbia.edu/CPC/archive/games/772001.asp?0si=-.html

"MICROSOFT EXPECTS TO lose $750 million in the current fiscal year ending June 30 (Thats 2002 BTW) and another $1.1 billion in the next fiscal year (June 2003)"

14. museumsteve

museumsteve

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,007
    at the same time, there must be some kind of irony that Nintendo are about to announce their first loss since 1962 :eek:

"As it struggles to score points against larger rivals Sony Corp. and Microsoft Corp., Nintendo Co. on Friday warned of its first loss since the Japanese video game maker went public in 1962.

The maker of the popular Game Boy hand-held player estimated a $27-million loss in the first six months of its fiscal year, contrasted with the $100-million profit projected in May.

For the year ending March 31, Nintendo forecast net income of about $542 million, down nearly 8 percent from an earlier estimate of $588 million.

Nintendo executives blamed a stronger yen for the showing but did not cut the company's annual sales forecast of $5 billion.

''The company keeps large cash deposits in the U.S.,'' said George Harrison, Nintendo's executive vice president for marketing in North America. Harrison said the strong yen eroded the face value of those holdings."

15. Squiffy

Squiffy
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,791
    And you have to wonder how they make a loss.

Gameboy is undoubtedly profitable. Games production is profitable... So what does that leave to make a loss on? Gamecube.

OK, they might sell it for more than the cost of manufacture, but what is the actual profit per Gamecube after tax, distribution, retail margin, marketing, amortisation of R&D, etc.? Given the fact they are to make a loss, it seems that they are not actually making money on the GC.

16. Miyazaki

Miyazaki

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +849
    Gamecube doesn't suffer from piracy though, well at least not to the severe extent of PS2 and especially Xbox.

But if the "rumoured" production cost of gamecube is £60, it's beyond doubt that they will be making a loss, after you said, distribution etc.

They certainly don't have a multi-trillion dollar market like Microsoft, or a multi-billion dollar market like Sony, so it's inevitable that Nintendo will find it harder and harder to compete, as both other companys could easily afford to lose billions, which evidently Sony are far from doing, but Xbox seems to be.

17. betamac

betamac

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Funnily enough Sony also reported a loss not that long ago, it seems games sales in general are at a all time low, which obviously means everyone suffers,

No one was ever going to catch Sony anyone who knew anything knew that they was too stong and had a head start, if Nintendo can stay ahead of MS in the run up to the next console launch in 2005 then they will see that as a minor success, and next time around its a fair fight between the 3 companies, all i will say is i hope Nintendo keep to the Games Machine only console and not go into the Super "do it all" console i have a decent DVD player, i have Sky + the last thing i want is a all in one machine. I buy a games console to play games not record TV and copy DVDs.

18. Squiffy

Squiffy
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,791
    I believe that the console part of Sony was profitable, but the consumer goods bit made a big loss....

19. Azrikam

Azrikam

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    As I recall, Nintendo were claiming to be making money on the Gamecube when it launched, as opposed to the standard which is to sell at a loss and make the money back on the games. But that was when the Gamecube was at a much higher price. Even if they can produce them for £60, there's no way they are still making a profit selling them at £80. (I'm sure the stores get them for <£60, not including advertising and all the other middlemen)

But as has been said, Sony and Microsoft are the ones competing head-to-head. Nintendo is basically competing in their own console market. That's why you see so many people with a Gamecube and one of the other 2 consoles, and far less people with both a PS2 and an Xbox. (at least from my experience)

20. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    If Game etc pay £60 per unit nintendo will still make a profit as GC is a very cheap system to manufacture if done so at high enough volume! They are under more pressure to sell the amount they budgeted on RATHER THAN ACTUALLY MAKE A PROFIT PER UNIT AS ECONOMIES OF SCALE COME INTO FORCE!

21. betamac

betamac

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    If that is the case then XBOX is failing more than misrably if its competing with PS2 and gamecube is a success for selling more and competing against its self,

hmm i dont believe that for 1 second all 3 consoles are competing against each other simple as that, if what your saying is right then Nintendo and Sony were never competing before MS came along? which is total nonsense

Playstation 2 has lots of platformers like mario and zelda even more than Nintendo in fact, and Nintendo have lots of mature games like PS2 lots being exclusives, and now you have Microsoft saying its wants to start releasing lots of younger platformers like Conker etc so they are all aiming at the same market, just doing things the other way around, Nintendo are trying to build a mature market on there console and MS trying to build a younger market on there console so how can you say there not competing?

P.S i know many people with JUST a gamecube and nothing else so it can easily stand on its own with no PS2 or XBOX next to it

22. Miyazaki

Miyazaki

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +849
    Can't we all just get along???
    :)

23. Azrikam

Azrikam

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm sensing a trend...

1. Someone posts something about the Gamecube
    2. Betamac attacks the XBox
    3. Goto 1

:D

Seriously, I realize that all 3 systems are competing for the same disposable income, but the way the systems are marketed seems to put them in 2 separate groups.

Nintendo, despite having a wide range of games, is positioned either by themselves or by the media as a pure games machine, targetted more towards younger gamers. (sheesh, I'm gonna get an earful for that statement, but it's true) Yes, they have mature games, but the system as a whole is marketed much like previous Nintendo machines... as a family games machine.

Sony and Microsoft, on the other hand, are interested in being the focus of a home entertainment system. (at least in the long-term) So, they've brought in online gaming, playing CDs, and DVDs. Now both are talking of turning their games machines into PVRs. (and I'm sure both have even more stuff in the pipe that we don't know about yet) It seems to be 2 completely different strategies.

If all 3 companies put out new consoles in a couple years (or whenever), I fully expect Sony and MS to push even farther towards the all-in-one entertainment device. I also expect Nintendo to pitch to the other market... that of pure gamers. There are a lot of people who will be turned off by an expensive piece of kit that does things that they'll never use. And Nintendo will be there to sell them a Cube2. (or whatever it's called)

As the gaming market gets bigger, and the other 2 systems move towards home entertainment devices and away from gaming machines, I think Nintendo (or some other games-only alternative) can do very well. Better, in fact, than the Gamecube.

What was this threat about again??? ;)

24. betamac

betamac

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    OK hands up and shoot me a hate the XBOX i hate everything about it because and its only because of of the way Microsoft think they can buy there way into any market and dominate, there way of business is the worst i have ever seen, throw money at it and slag off the competition it makes me sick, and for that reason and that reason only i hope the XBOX fails a misrable death and seeing it sell poorly and lose billions of dollars makes me extremely happy, its for that reason i would never have an XBOX even if someone GAVE one to me.

I have nothing against sony and like the PS2 i think Nintendo are the most dignified of both companies and have always said games is where its at never going down to the lower levels to criticise competition

OK so now its out i feel better now

P.S can i just make a point about the Nintendo quataly loss, its actually Nintendos FIRST loss in 41 Years !!!! jesus how many companies can say that? thats insane and its only a quataly loss they are still expected to make 60 Billion Yen for the year end.

25. Miyazaki

Miyazaki

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +849
    I remember back in the day of Dreamcast i remember hearing that Sony were paying, persuading developers not to develop for Dreamcast. Like Infogrames and EA. I feel much the same way about PS2 as betamac feels about Xbox, or VHS ;)

26. betamac

betamac

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Dont shoot me down again had enough for one day just reporting some news which i like to see

Since Gamecubes U.S Price job the latest published sales figures show

GameCube :64,405
    PS2 :53,834
    Xbox :26,290

Obviously it dont mean anything unless they can substain a decent figure but we will see

1 little niggle about Sony is they actually count replacement consoles as sales which is abit cheeky especially as the laser is known to die out quickly

27. Stereo Steve

Stereo Steve

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    I don't think that fanboy posts are constructive at all. Betamac, you have some valid points but you fail to give them any credibility as your posts just come across as Xbox bashing.

I have an Xbox and think it's ace. I like driving games and FPS's so it's perfect for me. You talk of MS buying their way into the market well my missus loves Tomb Raider and I've had to go and buy a PS2 purely because Sony used financial muscle to prevent an Xbox version. It doesn't make me happy but I don't blame them and I'm prepared to buy the console to get the game I want.

In my view, there's no point trying to predict what big companies will do with their products although it would suprise me little to see GC dropped completely. I have nothing whatever against GC or Nintendo but they are not exactly making confident noises about it are they? In the end, it's a cheap console and has some great games so just pick up a bargain and stop worrying about wether it'll be around in 2 years time.

For the record, I reckon MS are in for the long haul and probably have some kind of vision of a broadband media centre / PVR/ STB type thing that plays games in the future. I for one wouldn't bet against them making a go of it.

28. betamac

betamac

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I dont just mean buying exclusive rights, thats not what i am saying ATALL thats fine even nintendo paid Capcomn to make resident evil exluclusive to gamecube

you have got me all mixed up i am saying them thinking they can just throw money at a problem and succeed i am saying verbally bashing a competitor is not on, maybe you have not seen some of the statements from microsoft bashing some of the most respected companies/people in the industry

and there talk has obviously got you fooled as you think the XBOX is successful which shows that all there talk money is making you believe that,

Success = Profit and sales

whether they are in it for the long run or not is irrelevant right now they are a failer as they are having none of the above

As for been a fanboy hmm i like Sony i like Nintendo i hate microsft i think that just makes me human we all like and dislike things and its a free world i can say what i want about XBOX everything i have said has had truth behind it, if i was bashing i would be making comments with no truth behind them, i am not bashing

also you say dont worry about whether Nintendo hardware still been around in 2 years or not well personly i think everyone in the gaming world should worry Nintendo said themselves "the day we stop making games consoles is the day we leave the industry" that was said after people wondered if they would make a gamecube 2 or not, Nintendo have lead the way in gaming for years and whatever anyone says without Nintendo gaming would not be the same,

simple things we take for granted like the D Pad and rumble features in controllers, Nintendo lead others followed,

other simple things like Mario, how many times has Mario been imitated since we first saw Mario 64 on the N64? how many games now use the Lock On Enermy feature like we first saw in Zelda ?

With all the top companies we have who was the first with a wireless game controller? Nintendo again

Its amazing what they have done and if they were to leave gaming inovation would not be the same again

29. Stereo Steve

Stereo Steve

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    I was saying don't worry if the GC isn't around, not Nintendo. Of course, it would be bad for all of us if Nintendo were to fold but they may well decide to refocus on a different area like handhelds etc.

As for MS losing on the Xbox, they knew they were going to. It's part of the plan and a plans success cannot be judged until it nears the end. I wonder if Sony has made a profit on Super Audio CD yet. I don't know but I guess it costs them a packet. But, in the end, they feel it will be a dominant force and they will rake it in exponentially then.

30. betamac

betamac

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yes and i totally agree Microsoft always planned to lose money (whether they planned on losing as much we dont know but i suspect not afterall the XBOX had 3 price cuts in the first 3 months) but that aside i understand what you are saying BUT surely yoy can only judge the success of a console on where it is NOW not in 5 years time?

If we look at all 3 consoles now PS2 Leads the way by a unasailable lead, Nintendo follows in 2nd, and Microsoft follows behind, now where they will be in 5 years times is anyones guess

We all know microsofts plan but will it succeed? who knows,

If we lose Nintendo from the hardware business we lose true gaming consoles, we dont all want all in one entertainment machines, i myself want a pure gaming console, designed and best for games.

I may sound like a fanboy, but i am just a Nintendo fan, i have had every console since they started and want them to carry on been sucessful, Nintendo have a following much bigger than Playstation or XBOX will ever have (most people who buy Playstation and XBOX are casual games) the reason they have a following is for what they have done in the industry and the fact they have always done right by there fans, i just hope this never comes to an end, as i may never enjoy console gaming again.

anyway i have filled up enough pages on this thread i will walk slowly away :)