Nintendo beginning to be competitive with their prices?

Discussion in 'Nintendo Forums' started by UKbondraider, Aug 3, 2006.

1. UKbondraider

UKbondraider
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Is it me or are Nintendo finally being competitive in their pricing in terms of their games?

I dont remember them reducing their GBA games as often or as quickly as what I am seeing with the DS. Great prices at £13 each for very good titles at Woolies for example. You will struggle to find decent GBA games at that price despite them being 10 years old. This has always frustrated me with Nintendo and is in my opinion the biggest reason for the failure of the gamecube.

However for alot of people I am guessing the pricing gesture has come too late.

Although I will still buy original games for my consoles (I have over 400 PS2, XBox and GC games, all original) when it comes to Nintendo especially the DS I have given up.

£60 for 2 gb card and wham 80+ DS games at my immediate disposal. Even at £13 each for a new DS game I have no interest to start collecting them again. They have been tight for too long in my eyes. I still however support the PSP and will only collect originals for my PSP.

2. gingerone

gingerone

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +406
    personally I would'nt pay more than £2-£3 for sony games on ebay but each to their own.
    I paid £24.99 for mariokart in december and I am still playing everyday, that does'nt seem expensive to me.

3. UKbondraider

UKbondraider
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    I think you are dreaming dude. £2 or £3?

I would buy every title at this price even if it was complete and utter crap just to have a complete collection.

My point is...... when was the last time you saw a Gamecube game go for £7.99 new? i.e when is Pikmin 2, Battalion Wars, Geist, Skies of Arcadia etc going to sell for £7.99 like numerous titles on the Xbox and PS2.

Even Fire Emblem on the GBA is still stupidly priced. This game should be £5 brand new by now.

Nintendo are just tight ****ers if you ask me. Even some of the Xbox 360 games are cheaper than Nintendo games. I just hope the Wii will be different with games falling in price from the £50 RRP to £17.99 within a few months.

4. Kamakazie

Kamakazie

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +28
    who says the Wii games will have a £50 rrp in the first place? i very much doubt they will. Nintendo have said they are not in the businees of pricing high to start with the slashing prices after the first few months. I rekon £35 price point for Wii games. That would be right on the money.

5. gingerone

gingerone

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +406
    I'm not dreaming at all mate, the last game I bought for my ps2 was Timesplitters 2 on ebay for £3 delivered.

The reason I'm prepared to pay for nintendo games is beacause I know the games are going to be good most ps2 games bore the pants off me.

6. shay0

shay0

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +489
    Well, Amazon and Play both have a selection of Wii games for pre-order at £49.99 each, that's probably where its come from. However, Nintendo did say the RRP wasn't going to be over £40 a few months back, but we'll have to see.

7. UKbondraider

UKbondraider
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9

OK I think you have got lost here. I was referring to PSP games my friend. i.e I will still pay £15 for original PSP games to collect them but wouldnt pay £10 for DS games.

As for PS2 the max I pay for any game these days is £5-10 brand new sealed so of course £2 or 3 quid for some titles is feasible especially for Timesplitters (which cost alot of us only 54p from Dixons brand new by the way).

Regarding the RRP of Wii games, if Xbox and PS3 have an RRP of £50 of course nintendo are going to price theirs at a similar level even if they did not cost any more to produce than current GC games. The difference you will find is that 360 and PS3 games will fall in value quickly after release whilst Wii ones will not.

In fact when I get on the next gen wagon I would be looking to pay less than £20 for any of my titles. Of course I will not have the newly released titles but given that I dont really have time to play them anyway means I can be patient.

8. Emulous

Emulous

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +151

This is purely to cover their arses. They will be cheaper.

9. steggy

steggy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +46
    :suicide: me if I'm wrong but isnt it the retailers that decide if a game goes down in price quickly? e.g. the XBox games go down quickly because they have so many left over to get rid of in there warehouse, not to mention staying competitive with the other retailers (Price match and such)

10. shay0

shay0

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +489
    Exactly, that's what the RRP is there for. The manufacturers can only advise retailers what price to charge, not force them. Well, not yet anyway, unless there some sort of franchise, I suppose.

11. Conn

Conn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +170
    No, not in practise. There is a cost price for the item that is set by the manufacturer/publisher/distributer/whoever. It would be a risky business model indeed that saw a retailer selling at anything less than cost price plus overheads as a minimum.

If the cost price stays high (which I suspect has been the case with Nintendo), the retail price also has to stay high.

This is not a new problem - I remember exactly the same issue when I had my Snes versus the price of Megadrive games. Megadrive were always quick to drop...Snes would never budge :(

12. brain_stew

brain_stew

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +32
    Both Nintendo and EA have confirmed that games will be no more than $50 in the US, which is the same price as current gen games (and $10 less than 360 games). So that translates to a £40 RRP over here, and ~£30 price on sites like Play.

13. fizzgog

fizzgog

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +112
    this was my understanding aswell.
    pete