• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Nintendo announces WiiSpeak Channel

Tetlee

Distinguished Member
Just seen this over at Joystiq http://www.joystiq.com/2008/10/02/nintendo-announces-wii-speak-channel/

As one of the last two announcements for their fall media summit, Nintendo has announced the Wii Speak Channel for use with the Wii microphone (pictured, from E3 2008). According to Cammy Dunaway, up to four people can chat together, and the microphones will come with a coupon to download the channel.

Of course, this leads to a plethora of other questions, such as: release date, price (if not buying with the microphone), can a USB mic be substituted, what else can we do with the channel besides speak? We're not holding our breath waiting for answers anytime soon.

Always thought a chat channel would be a good solution to add the possibility of voice comms to the Wii's voice chat lacking online games, wonder if it will work that way, guess we'll have to wait until we find out more.

Would be nice if the channel becomes compatible with other headsets also, then those of that don't want the whole room to get involved with our online ramblings can finally get our wish:)

Amph

Distinguished Member
Just seen this over at Joystiq http://www.joystiq.com/2008/10/02/nintendo-announces-wii-speak-channel/

Always thought a chat channel would be a good solution to add the possibility of voice comms to the Wii's voice chat lacking online games, wonder if it will work that way, guess we'll have to wait until we find out more.

Would be nice if the channel becomes compatible with other headsets also, then those of that don't want the whole room to get involved with our online ramblings can finally get our wish:)

I'm just glad Nintendo are up there at the forefront, breaking barriers, setting the standard.... :rolleyes:

Glad finally they releasing some kind of comms though. Hope it can be used on Mario Kart.

winka45

Damn, just came to post this (link removed as its no longer on front page)
Beaten twice:D
Edit;- $29.99 in US Nov16th, two days before my birthday incedentily

Last edited:

PocketOperator

Isn't the mic going to be available with Animal Crossing Wii later in the year? I'm sure I recently read somewhere that this was the case. I'm not that fussed about it not being a standard hands-free/wired headset and instead being a little box you stick on your telly as I'm guessing you won't have to shout your head off in order for it to pick up your voice anyway. It's not really going to be much different than using a normal mic headset as I doubt anyone uses their Wii at the same time as the rest of the family watching the TV etc in the same room so I don't understand why it would make any difference.

But then again I do live on my own lol.

Tetlee

Distinguished Member
I'm not that fussed about it not being a standard hands-free/wired headset and instead being a little box you stick on your telly as I'm guessing you won't have to shout your head off in order for it to pick up your voice anyway. It's not really going to be much different than using a normal mic headset as I doubt anyone uses their Wii at the same time as the rest of the family watching the TV etc in the same room so I don't understand why it would make any difference.

As most of my Xbox Live buddies will vouch for, my missus is often in the lounge rattling away on the phone while I'm playing games, they pick her up enough as it is when the lobby is quite, dread to think what it'll be like with this solution:rolleyes::D

Not only that but if you've ever tried having voices though the tv speakers on Xbox Live then you'll know it sounds awful once the games are in action. I guess for relaxed games such as Animal Crossing it'll be fine, will be interested to see how it handles more action orientated games such as The Conduit for example(time will tell).

Oh, and you're right about the Animal Crossing/WiiSpeak bundle, although if I'm not wrong the bundle version will be optional and at a higher price to account for the WiiSpeak microphone(think I rememer reading it would add an extra $20.00 to the US bundle price so an effective discount of $10.00 buying seperate).

I'm still hoping there will be an optional headset option further down the line, would be far more suited to my needs.

PocketOperator

Thanks for that Tetlee, I didn't think about the sound-quality issues through normal TV speakers. You're probably right in that case then. I think the voice chat will be great for games like the upcoming COD 5 (which will be Wii Zapper compatible woohoo!).

Also, I've heard your missus has a right gob on her an all! lol just joking mate!

kopchoir

Banned
Also, I've heard your missus has a right gob on her an all! lol just joking mate!

:rotfl::rotfl:
Ah good old late night sessions withe tetlee and mrs tetlee as bob hoskins used to say its good to talk:rolleyes::D:thumbsup:

The latest video from AVForums

Fidelity in Motion's David Mackenzie talks about his work on disc encoding & the future of Blu-ray
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom