• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Nintendo announce fiscal year 2013 financial results - Wii U sells 3.45m units

Daft Ada

Distinguished Member
Nintendo have released their latest financial results and Wii U has missed it's revised forecast of 4m units, shifting 3.45m since launch. Software sales were 13.42m so the software tag ratio is just below 4 games per units (I think Iwata-San said they needed to sell two games per console to make up the loss on hardware costs). They turned a profit of £46.7m compared to the £240m loss last year.

Amazingly, Wii sold 3.98m units but shifted 50.61m software units - 12.72 games per system :eek:

The financial report mentioned games in the Mario Kart, Super Mario Bros, Wii Fit and Zelda franchises would be released in the next several months.

Can a mod change the title - can't spell Nintendo!

Last edited:

safcalibur

Distinguished Member
Its certainly good news although much of the profit has been attributed to the weak yen and Nintendos investments as opposed to console sales. Also, Satoru Iwata has become acting CEO of NOA and will absorb the responsibilities into his current role (brave man!).

Waiting on E3 now, this year in terms of Nintendo and the wii u hinge on this E3 for me, I'm expecting big things from Nintendo this year and I mean BIG. In the face of what MS and Sony will be showing this will have to be an amazing show from Nintendo if they want to increase interest in the wii u, I hope they pull it off.

Korum

Prominent Member
But they have only sold 390,000 Wii U's worldwide since Christmas which is awful. No wonder it's getting discounted at the moment.

Jack-Deth

Distinguished Member
They are pretty bad sales figures in fairness, much worse than the PS3 or 360 during their launch window periods. But hopefully new games and a big price cut will help along with some marketing and some aggressive support for 3rd party developers.

Also that software sales for the WiiU figure quoted in the OP's first post is wrong, I think its about 13 million units of software sold, including the Nintendoland packed in with Premium models.

Last edited:

Jack-Deth

Distinguished Member
Daft Ada said:
Eh??? It's 13.42m, which is what I've got in my post.

Miss read wii software figures. Sorry.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 8K TV dead? Philips OLED+907, Pioneer LX505 AVR plus B&W 700 S3 Reviews & Visit + AV/HiFi News
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom