Nintendo and wifi/internet channels

C

Calvertfan

I'm a big Nintendo fan as opposed to MS or Sony, but two (sort of linked) experiences in the last couple of days are extremely frustrating.

Got a Wii - love it - had to wait a couple of days for wireless router, get it on line and what? I can shop for old games but no other services are running at the moment. Not long for weather, but if news channel isn't ready until end of January (surely it should be an easy channel to setup) then what does that say about future internet channels? My initial excitement about numerous cool internet services through the TV is seriously starting to wane. And when will I be able to play my Wii against other gamers on the net?

But even more serious than that, I tried the DS Lite on the router tonight and it will not connect. From spending a couple of hours searching numerous forums, it seems like it may not be compatible, even though the Wii is, with my Linksys router. AAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRGGGGHHHH!!!!!!!!!!
Seeing as no local DS download stations actually work, I had consoled myself with thoughts of wifi gaming at home (works fine on the office router), and dreamt of the day when DS demo downloads might be available via the Wii (what do you think, by about 2010?)

Sorry for the rant, I'm sure I'll feel better in the morning. Sorry if you haven't been able to get a Wii, not trying to rub it in.

At least Zelda is great.

Te Bheag

I feel your pain (as my American colleague would say).

Get yourself a Buffalo wifi access point, or a Nintendo USB wifi dongle, they work with the DS and the Wii. I think a lot of people will have problems with wifi when their Wii arrives.

Glad to hear you got a Wii, I'm still searching, but supply looks to be picking up now.

I too hope that Nintendo get their act together on on-line play and services as they now have with the DS games. However, I'm less concerned with News and Weather as I use t'interweb for all that.

SuperSeven

What wireless security protocol is your router using?

The DS Lite does not support WPA, only WEP.

(The Wii supports both)

davidm

Also the DS cannot cope with a hidden SSID.

Tetlee

Distinguished Member
Which Linksys router do you have? I have an old Linksys WAG54G and although it now works fine with the DS, I remember it was a real pig to get working the first time for some reason. The Wii worked straigh off strangely so perhaps Nintendo improved things there.

shoehorn

I've got a Linsys WRT54G and both DS and Wii connected straight away.
But as aonther poster said, my SSID is not hidden and my security is WEP.
Hope you get things sorted.

The latest video from AVForums

Star Wars Andor, Woman King, more Star Trek 4K, Rings of Power & the latest TV, movies & 4K releases
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom