Nintendo 64 Coax to Composite Video & Stereo Audio?

ChrisOfTheOT

Standard Member
Reaction score
We've got a Nintendo 64. I want to try and use the inputs on the front on the TV to connect it because they're easier to get to. (Video/Audio L+R)

I've searched the CPC catalogue for hours but can't find a suitable cable that splits the phono-coax output of the N64 into three. Two is easy but not three! I thought about going to SCART first and then using a SCART to 3 x phonos but I can't find a SCART to single phono either!

Can anyone help?

Thanks,

Chris

What exactly are you looking for? It sounds like you what an N64 Composite Video/Audio L/R phono cable. Is that correct? If your TV has front S-Video socket, then you would be much better off using an N64 S-Video/Audio L/R phono cable. Regardless, I can provide you with either so just let me know ;).

That's the kiddie exactly, groundy. An N64 Composite Video/Audio L/R phono cable (there is no front S-Video socket on our TV).

So, how much then? (And how long is the cable?)

Cheers,

Chris

Chris, cable is Official Nintendo boxed with Scart Adaptor Plug included. Cable length is 2m and price is £9.99 + £2 Recorded Delivery.

Alternatively, and here's a little hint, you can just walk in to any Game, HMV, Virgin etc., and pick up a Nintendo Gamecube compatible Composite Video Cable as it is exactly the same as the N64 one. 3rd party cables should also be available for as little as £4.99.

Probably just done myself out of a sale with that statement but if not, then PM me and we can finalise the details.

:)

I bought one a lot cheaper than £4.99 o_O If you pop down to GameStation or GAME I'm sure they have a second hand bin of sorts and they are always full of old N64 composite cables and the like. When you buy the N64 you are given the bog standard composite cable anyway...

Not that I want to put Groundy out of business lol

While you really should be in bed NeoBlade, thanks for the pointer anyway! I had no idea that cables would be so easy to come by or that the Game Cube offerings would fit - at least, AV wise.

Our N64 was second hand (actually, it was in payment of a debt!) so we've never had the full package.

Thanks to both of you, we shall be up and running shortly... and then I'll have to battle my dear wife for hours at Bust-a-Move.

Such are the damands of married life!

Chris

lol Bust-a-Move.. What a top game ^_^ I love it to bits but I prefer the 2nd game than the 4th... As for being in bed... This is me you're talking about ^_^ 3-4am is an early night for me. Another top multi-player game is Tetris or Bomberman... Many a swear word will pass when I lock horns with my mates on those games ^_^

Thanks gents, I've ordered a cable & memory card from The Video Game Co. (I've never heard of them but I'm not spending a fortune so I thought I'd risk it.)

(I may even have a look at Bomberman too - never heard of that before either!)

Chris

Ah.. Bomberman is superb ^_^ The concept is simple - You have to blow up your opponent with bombs. Very addictive in multiplayer since you can be rather evil in the game ^_^ Its worthy of at least a few goes with a few people and soon enough you'll be hooked. There are quite a few good multiplayer games out there but less so on the next gen consoles sadly.

Originally posted by NeoBlade
Ah.. Bomberman is superb ^_^ The concept is simple - You have to blow up your opponent with bombs. Very addictive in multiplayer since you can be rather evil in the game ^_^ Its worthy of at least a few goes with a few people and soon enough you'll be hooked. There are quite a few good multiplayer games out there but less so on the next gen consoles sadly.

We're going to Games Exchange on Thursday - if they've got one, we'll have it! (I'll let you know...)

Chris

We went to Games Exchange last Thursday - no Bomberman but got Goldeneye. Exellent looking game! I've only given it a quick go on mission one but have no idea how to 'bungie jump off the platform'! (No rope and not even sure where the platform is!)

I said I'd let groundy know how I got on with the Video Game Company... Well, I've got the composite cable and a memory card from them. It took just under the week and cost £17 inc. p+p. Good enough.

The memory card - or 'controller pack' in N64 speak - only works on one handset & the 'repair' function doesn't help. (It says the card is full but reports 'empty' on every single page.)

It works in the other handset so that should be enough, although it always reports 'no data saved' in Bust-a-Move 3. I must be doing something wrong here! (Incidentally, if anyone knows a way to save in the middle of a game - Bust-a-Move & Goldeneye - then I'd be most grateful to find out how.)

The composite video lead is (I think) a 3 meter flavour and works well. It came in no packaging at all inside the Jiffy bag - not even a polly bag! - but I suppose a cable doesn't really need it. The picture is sharper than the aweful RF output we used before, particularly noticable on the Bust-a-Move main menu, with all the deep yellows & oranges.

So - thanks for your help, and when I can save data properly, I'll be a happy chappie!

Cheers,

Chris

Bummer.. No Bomberman... How can you live without playing this title with a few mates is beyond me mate >_< <g> Fret not though since Bomberman is best in multiplayer only really since it has a weak one player. You can also try out Mario Tennis, Mario Golf, Exitebike 64, Resident Evil 2 (if you haven't played the game before or have a PSX), Mario 64, Smash Bros and then Zelda: Ocarina of Time if you feel adventurous ^_^ If theres one bad thing about old N64 games is that the price hasn't dropped by a massive margin... I don't know why places like GAME and GameStation won't just sell all N64 titles for a tenner to clear its stock, rather than selling 2nd hand N64 games for £27 a pop.

Anyway at least you have a top FPS in G/Eye. I loved that game to bits when it was out. As for the bungie jump just go along the dam until you find some stairs to go up on the left (near the end of the level of course). There should be a nice gap for you to simply walk off ^_^

As for the mem card... Are you using an official mem pak? 3rd party mem paks on the N64 are the worst in history probably... Very unreliable. You can get many official 2nd hand mem paks on the cheap and its well worth it.

As for saving.. I'm not too sure with Bust-A-Move since I haven't got it on the N64 (Just the PSX) but you should be able to save your high scores in the main menu. I don't believe you can save in the middle of a round in Bust-A-Move, only the high scores and unlocked stuff. As for G/Eye it saves automatically on the cart itself if I recall correctly.. But you can't do any "quick" saves, only once you have completed the mission.

Glad to hear that you're having fun on the old N64. I would be playing it still if I didn't have so many Gamecube stuff to play through right now...

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom