1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Nintaus , Skyworth or Tosh510e

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by apexsec, Apr 11, 2002.

1. apexsec

apexsec

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Can anybody tell me the advantage of buying the Nintaus N9901 or the Skyworth DVD over something like the Toshiba sd 510e with progressive scan or even the Tosh 210e (soon to be superseeded by the 220e) as regards picture quality ,features and the like .
    Cheers for any help.

2. apexsec

apexsec

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The reason i`m asking the question of which dvd player in this forum is cos i`m connecting it to a Panny AE100.
    Sorry for the confusion.

3. z5461313

z5461313

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +177
    Hi

Can you tell me if this does PAL progressive?

Thanks

4. chic

chic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +871
    I have no experience of the other 2 but myself & timh have a multiregion tosh 510 connected to our panasonic ptae and the results are stunning there is a thread in the dvd players section.

It cant do pal progressive, but pal interlaced still looks good but ntsc progressive is amazing and as most of my films are r1 I am happy

5. Jonny1973

Jonny1973

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The Nintaus and Skyworth players have VGA out but the Tosh doesn't.

The Panny PT-AE100 is at it's best fed from a VGA source using WIDE480 progressive mode and these two players do that.

I haven't one of these players myself (yet) but Kramer posted some pics taken from his.

6. Kramer

Kramer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Sorry I haven't got around to replying sooner;)

I have the Nintaus, & must report excellent results. The AE-100 sees the VGA signal as Wide 480 - it's favourite food:D

This, however, is only on NTSC region 1 DVDs. It has a Pal to NTSC converter, & with this it will see Pal material also as Wide 480. However, in my limited experience this causes major problems with the frame rate & renders the picture jerky & hence unwatchable.

The NTSC (Wide 480) picture is excellent, I would say 70-80% as good as HTPC. Ths Pal picture, seen as SVGA is also very good, far better than the progressive component in, but not as good as NTSC, & well below HTPC.

There are also some issues with this player. The slight downshift of the right hand side, & "mpeg glitches". However, it is hoped that these can be resolved with a firmware upgrade, on which Nintaus are currently working. They never posed a severe problem for me, but it would be preferable to be rid of them.

I honestly have not been using the player at all since seeing the picture available from HTPC - there is that much of an improvement I will never go back. I am now concentrating on the source PC, & believe me that is time consuming :confused:

Nintaus is an excellent player at a very good price, & suits well the AE-100 especially with NTSC material.

If I were you I'd hold off until the bugs are fixed. If by a firmware upgrade I'll post again.

This is all subjective, & some will be more than happy with component progressive, but for me, there is no going back.

I've seen the light, & the light is good :D :D :D