1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Nil By Mouth

Discussion in 'Movie Forum' started by Fatti, Jan 5, 2003.

1. Fatti

Fatti

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +40
    Any know if Gary Oldmans 1997 film 'Nil By Mouth' is likely to make an appearance on DVD.

2. mcmullanbrush

mcmullanbrush
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    This has been on my wanted list since its theatrical release. I have heard nothing.

3. Fatti

Fatti

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +40
    Five years plus since it was released and no sign. Fox appear to be the UK video distributors. Would contact them but their email address on their website is a no-reply option and for comments only.

4. encaser

encaser

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +112
    Have to agree that this is a great film and deserves a top notch outing on dvd. I've been looking on and off for a release too.
    It isn't exactly light entertainment, especially when viewed with a sexy lady friend, but is rewarding in its depth of character and 'insight' into too many 'happily married homes'.
    I recall seeing the Gary Oldman Omnibus special where he talked of inspiration for the story and how close to home it all was for him, both figuratively and literally. Also how it's his mum who sings the track mimed by the old gal in the bar scene - the one who was in East Enders for a while.
    All too disappointing the amount of dross that gets released when real films sit...

5. juboy

juboy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Stunning film, so believable it almost plays like a fly on the wall documentary in places.

One of the most hard-hitting (in every sense) films you're ever likely to watch... but which you really should try to.

Unfortunately I would think the market for a DVD version isn't too large.

6. James45

James45
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    i think there are certainly more obscure DVD titles that have been judged worthy of a release, so why shouldn't this get a release. It is an incredible film, but I can't watch it too often, way way too depressing.

7. juboy

juboy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I agree, and that is one major reason it probably wouldn't do too well on DVD.

Ray Winstone and Kathy Burke would guarantee it sales but those people who have already seen it might not feel the need to buy it on a format pretty much designed for repeated viewings.
    I also think that any 'making of' type extras could make for even more uncomfortable viewing than the end product itself.

The funny thing is (and I'll no doubt get shot down in flames for this) that, like a few other films, Nil By Mouth would probably come over better on VHS than DVD.