1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Nikon Glass on Canon Bodies

Discussion in 'Photography Forums' started by martynk, Aug 4, 2005.

1. martynk

martynk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've put off the decision on a DSLR because I really prefer Nikon, but the D50/D70 can't meter with the older AI/AIS lenses and manual focus is just about impossible - with my (getting) older eyes anyway. Also heard that the entry level Canons can meter with these lenses, although it will obviously require a adapter for the mount. Interesting idea. Anyone tried this? Drawbacks? Is MF feasible, or I should just wait and see if the D200, or whatever, actually becomes a reality.

2. RobertP

RobertP
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I regularly experiment with my 20D - taking macro shots with spacer rings and mounting the camera to a telescope - both of which require manual focusing.

I don't find manual focus a problem and my eyes are older than most here :rolleyes: .

There are 3rd party replacement ground glass screens available with the split focus centre section as found on most film SLR's if you want more accurate manual focusing.

I have a T2 adaptor and am thinking about a M42 so I can have a play with some of the cheap (but good?) manual lenses you often see on ebay.

3. mr jones

mr jones
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +22
    do they fit? the canon ones only fit the 1D and the 1Ds apparently

my eyes are goosed so i cant actually manually focus very well

[​IMG]
    this was manually focused but it was pure guess work with my eyes, one of those split screens would be ace if they would fit my camera

4. RobertP

RobertP
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I read a Yahoo group for the 20D. Some people there have bought from this guy.... he sells via ebay and has some info in another yahoo group.

Link to info

There is a link in it to a pdf file with install instructions. The little AF squares are on a separate panel to the ground glass so they are still there and working.

5. ancientgeek

ancientgeek

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    If you've got Nikon lenses you want to use, why not get a Nikon body?

If you don't trust your eyes, the focus indicator in the viewfinder will still light up when focussing manually to fine tune your focus. Just not as fast as autofocus, but should be as accurate.

As regards manual exposure; just take a picture and look at the histogram to make adjustments. Again, apart from speed, I don't find it a significant drawback not to have metering with a manual lens.