• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Nikon D80 Wildlife lenses

Oggie

Distinguished Member
As title says looking for a lens that Mrs can use for shooting wildlife, any advise would be appreciated .... if possible in mid to high price range. :thumbsup:

Jammyb

Prominent Member
I believe the Nikon 200-400mm f/4G IF-ED AF-S VR II is very well thought of, a snip at under £5K
Or the Nikon AF VR 80-400mm f/4.5-5.6 Lens for more like £1100

shotokan101

Banned
I suppose someone should ask "what sort of wildlife" as it might help narrow down the focal length best suited - birds - deer - elephants.... ?

Ian_S

Distinguished Member
Nikon 80-400 or Sigma equivalent will be the perfect combination for Safari.

I would avoid the use of a converter, as the last thing you will want to be doing on the vehicle is fiddling with one. It will also increase the chances of dust on your sensor.

Make sure you get VR/OS as not all vehicles turn their engines off, so even if you are well braced, engine vibrations will still be there.

I don't use Nikon, but took a Canon 100-400 on safari, and it was excellent. Best compromise for range.

Chubster

Established Member
IS this going to be a one off....is so thought of hiring ?

Ian_S

Distinguished Member
Given that the safari is a one off, and your regular subjects won't be elephants, lions etc, what does your Mrs. plan to photograph?

The latest video from AVForums

Spielberg, Shyamalan, Aronofsky, Chazelle, Eddie Murphy and Mel Gibson - all the latest movies
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom