Nikon D80 kit lenses

Discussion in 'Photography Forums' started by craig777, Jan 21, 2008.

1. craig777

craig777

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +36
    Just a quick question for the Nikon experts out there.

I'm looking to venture into the wonderful world of DSLR's very soon and the D80 is taking my eye at present.

I notice the D80 is available with either a 18-70mm or a 18-135mm lense. Which is the best buy? Or would buying the D80 body be a better idea, then buy a different lense seperately?

2. PoisonJam

PoisonJam

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +153
    The depends entirely on your budget and the kind of shooting you'll be doing :)

A popular choice is a D80 with an Nikkor 18-200mm VR as a general walkabout lens as it covers a very good range. It's not cheap though but it does offer good quality for the range it covers. If you can afford it it's a great option for most situations and could save you carrying around a combo of lenses.

The 18-135mm is a lot cheaper but the built quality isn't as good and there's no VR - something a lot of people swear by.

Provide us with specifics and we'll be able to assist more.

3. dazza74

dazza74

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,394
    The 18-70mm DX is supposed to be the better of the two lenses it also leaves you with a good option to purchase the 70-300mm VR lens.

EDIT :

There's every chance Nikon may announce in a couple of weeks time a D80 replacement so prices could fall on the D80 if your willing to wait a little.

4. Yandros

Yandros

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +528
    Actually I can suggest 4 Nikon consumer grade lens options for you...

18-70mm This is a metal lens mount, and a good build quality. Very good optical quality. £155 (very good price!) on its own or £160 as part of kit

18-135mm This has a plastic lens mount, and slightly cheaper build quality. Optical performance very good. I seem to recall at least one person on here didn't rate this much, but most of the comparisons I've seen say it's indistiguishable from the 18-70. £170 on its own or £142 with kit.

18-55VR New kid on the block. Again optically very good, but with the added bonus of vibration reduction. Only a plastic lens mount I assume though. This will probably be a kit lens option soon, but for now is separate for £180.

18-200VR Yet again, very good optically, but a very wide zoom range, and vibration reduction. You pay for it though...£450 best price.

To help inform your choice of first lens, the longer Nikon lenses to partner with the shorter zooms would be the 55-200VR (£180) or the 70-300VR (£300).

The 18-200VR is a very good all in one solution if you don't think you'll buy a longer lens later, but 200mm is a bit short for sports and wildlife. If you really don't think you'll need even as much as 200mm, the 18-135 may be the only lens you'll ever need. If you fancy some wildlife shooting, get either the 18-70+70-300VR or 18-55VR+70-300VR. If you've no interest in the VR at the wide end, I'd say the 18-70+70-300VR is a great lens set. I've found VR a lifesafer though, so personally I'd forgive the cheaper build, and get the 18-55VR+70-300VR

5. DPB1

DPB1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Craig

I'm in the same boat as you at the moment - Was gonna wait until May at the earliest though (Saving up at the moment).

Hopefully prices should plummet after Nikon have announced D80 replacement.

:thumbsup:

6. theo cupier

theo cupier

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +113
    I recently bought a D80 with the 18-135 kit lens and a 70-300 lens.

I find that the 18-135 is rarely off my D80 body. I'd have no hesitation in recommending this as a first lens whilst you get used to the camera and start noticing what you WANT to do but CAN'T due to the lens and make purchase decisions from there.

Don't forget that there is a 2nd hand market for Nikon lenses, even the kit ones, so if you wanted to upgrade to the 18-200, or move to a 2-lens system then you can sell the kit lens to contribute to upgrade costs.

7. mansell

mansell

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +39
    I have the D80 with the 18-135mm , I very happy with this as a kit len's, it is sharp and perform's well under good lighting conditions. My advice to you is to keep the cost down for now until you know what other lenses you may need in the future.

So I recommend you either buy the D80 wth the 18-70, 18-135 or even the 18-55VR, I would leave the 18-200vr for now as it's not cheap and there are better options than this in the future, like the 70-300vr!

8. beachy

beachy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +62

Dazza please could you let us know where are you getting this info from ??

9. PoisonJam

PoisonJam

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +153
    I think this is good advice. It'd be different if you had some experience with DSLRs (or even SLRs) and knew what you were looking for in a lens to commit big money to it but the 18-135mm covers a very useful range and as such is a good learning point and an inexpensive one, too.

However, I wouldn't say so bluntly that there are "better" options than the 18-200mm as it entirely depends on the user's needs. For a user who doesn't want to change lenses and would prefer a single walkabout lens with a great range the VR the 18-200mm could be all they ever need. I hope to one day own the 18-200mm with my nifty fifty and a 10-20mm Sigma and doubt I'll ever want for another lens.

10. dazza74

dazza74

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,394
    I'm speculating but there's a big show in American (PMA) at the end of this month where they traditionally announce new cameras I gather. The D80 is nearly 18 month's into it's life and given it's Nikon's 90th Anniversary year I'd be surprised if they didn't bring out a D90, I feel it will be a scaled down D300 personally.

11. Yandros

Yandros

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +528
    The rumours I heard were of a D40x replacement very soon (as apparently it has ceased production), and a D80 replacement in the Autumn.

I've been keeping an eye on the forums, and there's nothing concrete about either though. The only one that's practically a dead cert is the D3x at some point this year- a high MP version of the D3, to compete with the Canon flagship

12. DPB1

DPB1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Is it better to buy the body separate or try and get a deal with either the 18-70mm or 18-135mm.

Which is the better lens to bide you over for general picture taking until you can afford something like the 18-200mm VR ??

13. PoisonJam

PoisonJam

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +153
    I'd say get one with the lens. Most of the "body only" prices I see are only a few quid cheaper than "inc lens" and you could probably get more than the difference back selling on the lens if you decided not to use it.

The 18-70mm has a better build and generally better optics but the 18-135mm covers a very useful range and is a great starter lens for that rteason. I think with the 18-70mm you're more likely to add to it (e.g. a 70-300mm to compliment it) while with the 18-135 you're more likely to sell it and replace it (e.g. with an 18-200mm) when you feel you want to upgrade.

14. Fozzybear

Fozzybear

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +295
    The 18-70 is a really good lens, the image quality and build are excellent. It's the only lens I need with me for most of my shooting (well, until I got the Sigma 10-20...) and I can't really find much to say against it. The 18-135 certainly has a larger zoom, but you do pay for that slightly in image quality terms and the build is not so good. If you don't change lenses (less likely with that lens) then it doesn't matter quite so much, but the plastic mount of my 18-55 got very worn when I used it on my old D50. The 18-70 is really very sharp for a zoom - it exceeded the resolving capability of the D50 and I got a tiny touch of moire patterning on some of my shots with it. The 300mm f/4 prime is the only other lens I have that did that.

If you need the range and the ultimate image quality is not quite so important then you'll probably be very happy with the 18-135. Do be prepared for possible thoughts of upgrading in the future though.

15. dazza74

dazza74

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,394
    I'd probably buy the Body for around £450-£500, you can easily pickup an 18-70mm DX lens on Ebay for between £80-100.

16. craig777

craig777

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +36
    Just like to thank everyone for their replies... plenty of information for me to chew on!

I've purchased a used 18-70mm Nikon D80 kit lens from a fellow AVForums member, so I'm now just looking for the best deal on a D80 body. As mentioned above, I might just wait a few weeks incase of a price drop, but I am itching to get myself a body, so I don't know if I'll be able to hold on! lol

I'm a bit tempted by Hong Kong based onestop-digital, their price is currently £455, but I can get the body here for £489, so I don't really think it's worth it for the sake of £35.

Once again, thanks for all the replies. If there's anything else I should know, then just keep the posts coming!

17. PoisonJam

PoisonJam

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +153
    Just out of interest, how much did the lens cost you?

I'm sure you'll love it. There's nothing like getting your hands on the kit to learn what you really need. If you ever find yourself thinking "man, I wish this could go wider" consider a Sigma 10-20mm. If you ever find yourself thinking "I wish I could get closer" try the Nikon 70-300mm. Or if you decide "I wish I had a single lens solution that had more zoom but would cover a large range" then consider the 18-200mm :thumbsup:

18. craig777

craig777

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +36
    £90, so a decent saving over a new one.

I have a feeling the Nikon 55-200mm VR lens could be my next lens purchase, although the 70-300mm VR you mention is tempting, but that won't be for a while, need to concentrate on finding a body first! lol

19. Texy

Texy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    Altho £10 more than your quoted £489, did you know that you can 'collect at store' from Jessops? Thats quite a favourable price compared to online stores, and local pickup may be cheaper than postal charges, assuming oyu have a Jessops locally!!

Texy

20. dazza74

dazza74

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,394
    Quite a few people upgrading to a D300 so there's a few D80's on Ebay for between £350-400

21. craig777

craig777

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +36
    My £489 price was from Jessops website using a voucher code.

I'm tempted to get the body from Amazon for £499, then if the price drops within 30 days after receiving it, they will refund the difference.

dazza, I've looked on ebay, but I'm not entirely comfortable at buying expensive items from there - too many rogues around!

22. PoisonJam

PoisonJam

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +153
    The 55-200mm VR is good for the £135 you can get it for but I think you'll only be upgrading to the 70-300mm in the future. The 55-200mm won't match the build or or optical quality of your 18-70mm.

I suggest you use the 18-70mm now to get used to your camera and save up for the 70-300mm. Of course, the 55-200mm VR sells for around £100 on ebay still so you wouldn't be losing out on too much.

I think you're right to avoid ebay if you have the money to buy new.