Nikon D80 449.99

ben2579

Established Member
Reaction score
have been deliberating on entry level DSLR for months now:- and now i see the D80 move down in price it has confused me further. i was leaning towards Sony as i preferred the feel and the D80 was quite a lot more but now its moved into range.

and if you are bored of new camera threads then click away now.

but if you have any thoughts on the D80 vs the 450d and the A300 then please let me know.

(also there is a 40 pounds off voucher with a new Amex cash back card)

D80 + 18-55mm VR Lens kit

Best image quality of the bunch at that price point will be the Canon 450D, which is very close to the D90, having just read the latest review on dpreview. A450 also has the performace edge over the D80/D60, at 3.5fps. The D80 feels great though :thumbsup:

In terms of RAW image production, the D80 is about the same as the D60 (basically the same old 10MP sensor) which means better high ISO than the A200, but a generation behind the A450/D90.

Work out your total budget before you decide though. Don't blow all your cash on the body if you want extra lenses too.

Great camera the D80 but I do feel it's looks a bit long in the tooth now although the top LCD is a bonus I feel for programming a camera which the D80 has. In your position if you fancy a Nikon it might be worth keeping an eye out on the classifieds for a good used D200 these go for around £400.

thanks for the advice guys - will give it more thought.

The 450d looks the best on paper but did not really like the feel. The D80 felt good but most now feel that it has been surpassed which leaves the sony A300 or the second hand route. Will check classifieds and continue to watch prices.

40D isnt too much more than a 450d.

Hey! Less of the upselling! :rotfl::rotfl: That's another £175! Good point though -if the OP is looking for a nice feeling camera - gotta be a 40D/D200 :thumbsup:

Ben, the A200/A300 basically have the same Sony 10.2MP sensor as the Nikon D40x, D60, D80 and D200. At low ISO, the results are pretty much identical, but at high ISO, the Nikons produce less chroma noise.

So, if you're concerned about the D80 being surpassed in terms of technology - you should have the same concerns or worse about the A300.

Btw, Dazza is right about the D200. Lots of used ones around for £475-£499. One of the reasons I like the D80 though is it still has the quality feel of the D200.

I like the quality feel of the D80 and i think i did have concerns about the A300 . I have got to decide i think between the good value but limitations of the A200 or spend that bit more. unfortunately its that little bit more that gets me into trouble.

i will watch the classifieds for a bit longer but feel that 40d and D200 are just out of my price range new.

thanks

Ben

Has anyone followed the link for jessops 40 pound off voucher - applying for amex credit card. Are there any restrictions on the use of the voucher is what i was wondering.

Just leaning toward D80 - the voucher would just make it a bit more attractive

One final question is the Nikon D80 kit at 450 that much better than (190 pounds better) than the Sony A200 - thats my final decision to ponder before making my order on wednesday next week.

thanks for all the helpful advice to reach this point.

Just bought a D80 in the same deal as you're looking at - only had it a week but it seems an awesome bit of kit and very pleased with it. Looked at all the others and the Nikon had the best feel. The photo software with it leaves something to be desired however, apparently not a patch on Canon's.

What else were you considering? I know that the canon 450 d is better spec'd on paper and the newer model for a similar price but did just not like the feel. I think the sony represents great value but worry that i will grow out of it quickly and have read about problems at higher ISOs.

Can you use other software - was thinking of eventually getting aperture 2.

Didn't like the looks of the Sony, and tried Canon 450 & Olympus 520 and didn't like the feel of either - too small and I've got small hands.

I think the nikon software for processing RAW files costs money (£100) and only a 30 day free trial is included with the camera. Someone I know uses photoshop for processing Nikon RAW files without problems.

i purchased the nikon d80 with 18-55 vr lens from jessops 2 weeks ago for 449.99 and got a tamron 70-300 lens for 99.99 as well

sop happy with the camera great feel and very pleased with it, did look at the canon, and sony also pondered over the panasonic slr,

but glad i went for the d80

great camera

thx

Mint D200 with 8K on the clock over in the classifieds btw (£450)

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom