1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Nikon D70 Remote

Discussion in 'Photography Forums' started by lurcher, Jun 5, 2005.

1. lurcher

lurcher

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +202
    Hi,
    Just getting to grips with the handling of the D70 ( booked a 2 day training course in camera use/landscape for week after next).
    Got the optional remote and can only get the camera to fire when the remote is pointed from the front of the camera at the sensor window.
    Not very flexible really - any suggestions >

TIA

2. witters

witters

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +260
    Can't help with the remote but can you tell me more about the course please? :D

3. lurcher

lurcher

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +202
  4. lurcher

lurcher

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +202
    Seemed to have sorted it - in the menu , csm section found remote
    and set time to max 15mins and it fires each time from rear of camera.

5. fraggle

fraggle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +29
    The problem is there is no IR sensor to detect the remote on the rear of the camera. Pretty daft oversight.

There are a couple of products you can buy, one is a little IR receiver connected to a transmitter by a short cable, you velcro the TX pointing to the front of the camera and velcro the RX to the tripod "looking" backwards and it relays the signal from the remote. I think the other is a wired remote connected to an IR TX you velcro so it points to the front of the camera but that ones obviously limited by the cable.

The IR setting you have adjusted (I think) tell the camera how long to remain in "remote trigger mode" with nothing happening before it goes back to normal mode.

6. lurcher

lurcher

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +202
    I think you are right , it was set on the shortest setting and its now on the max before it resets. I"ll see how it goes.

7. lurcher

lurcher

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +202
    Well I have been useing the remote with the D70 this week and as I have mainly taken landscape shots I have triggered the camera by pointing the remote at the sensor window from the side of the camera - no problems.

Today I thought I would try some shots of birds in our garden and set the camera up on tripod and tried to take shots via the remote approx 5 feet away - no luck.
    It will only operate if I stand with the camera and use it as described above.

Richard have you further details of that little tx/rc gadget that you referred to earlier or has anyone else come up with a solution ?

TIA

8. ancientgeek

ancientgeek

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    How about a piece of perspex rod or sheet, cut at 45 degrees in front of the sensor (periscope style total internal reflection) with the top end just roughened generally and sticking just above the top of the camera. Should work from anywhere.

I think that's what I'll be trying when I get a remote.

Or mybe we'll be forced to upgrade to a D2x because of this intractable problem!

9. dejongj

dejongj
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,508
    I've got the remote as well. It is a very big oversight that it can only be triggered from the front....
    However it should work from a much greater distance than 5 feet. I've used mine in our back garden, camera sturdy on tripod on the terras, family on the climbing frame about 80ft away and it worked perfectly...Conditions were sunny and it was only the second time I used it...Maybe your battery is getting empty...

10. lurcher

lurcher

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +202
    New battery so shouldnt be a problem.
    Just for info the Phillips Universal TV remote SBC RU 151 Cat no 534/3133 £4.99 from Argos works as well as if not better than the Nikon one. (Program sanyo code 11323 in it )

I managed to get it working from the rear up to 12ft away (indoors). Not achievable outdoors though.

11. dejongj

dejongj
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,508
    I knew about the universal remote trick, maybe useful for some, though I'd like to small form factor of the Nikon one...its always in my bag....