Nikon D60 with Speedlight SB-600. Any advice?

Discussion in 'Photography Forums' started by P-P-S-S, Jan 8, 2012.

1. P-P-S-S

P-P-S-S

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +108
    I am using a Nikon D60 with a Speedlight SB-600 flash. The iTTL is turned on and the camera is in Baby mode setting. In terms of settings is there any main things I need to learn? For example do I need to use the zoom mode on the flashgun when in iTTL mode? Should I use a diffuser or not? When do I tilt the flash head and how much? ....and similar type of advice?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. :)

2. Dave B

Dave B
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    The zoom mode, should zoom when you zoom the lens.

The diffuser is usually used for wide shots, not sure on the SB600 but on the 800 and 900 putting the diffuser on or flipped down sets the flash to 14mm or 17mm on the zoom.

Tilting the head is required if you want to bounce with flash onto the subject, rather than shooting head on. Sometimes shooting head on, you might get a shadow for instance and bouncing the flash onto the ceiling would move the shadow, so it can't be seen in the shot.

In iTTL mode there isn't really a lot to learn, the camera and/or flash should handle almost everything.

Dave

3. NW3

NW3

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    Buy yourself a Stofen

Sto-Fen Omni Bounce OM-600 for SB600, FL36 & DMW FL 360: Amazon.co.uk: Electronics

Also if you want to learn how to use Nikon flash buy the Joe McNally's Hot Shoe Diaries

The Hot Shoe Diaries: Big Light from Small Flashes: Creative Applications of Small Flashes (Voices That Matter): Amazon.co.uk: Joe McNally: 9780321580146: Books

Money very well spent on both I would say

Not sure if the D60 supports it (the Sb 600 does) but the Nikon CLS is great for off camera flash which opens up all sorts of possibilities.