Nikon D5300 or Canon EOS 750D

Fu Manchu

Standard Member
Reaction score
Evening guys

I am looking for some advice on my 1st DLSR camera.

Recently had the opportunity to photograph the Northern lights using my Samsung Galaxy compact camera and got to thinking that I wanted an upgrade to produce better pics.

Below are a couple of pics produced by the Galaxy cam; setting were 10 sec, 2.8, ISO 800,

I am a complete novice but would like to better these images; does one of the above mentioned camera's stand out more than the other?

Attachments

• 20151106_230440.JPG
    20151106_230440.JPG
    3 MB · Views: 123
  • 20151104_225857.JPG
    20151104_225857.JPG
    713.3 KB · Views: 101
Thanks for the info Snerkler, the only real draw was the touchscreen but it isnt something I see as a must; I'll get some hands on time with both next week

Thank you

Thanks for the info Snerkler, the only real draw was the touchscreen but it isnt something I see as a must; I'll get some hands on time with both next week

Thank you
You have to think when you will use the touchscreen. I actually turn mine off on my Olympus EM5-II as I find you accidentally press something all the time. Plus for simply reviewing images I've not found a camera with a screen that is as responsive as an iphone, and an 'unresponsive' touchscreen annoys me ;) I prefer using the control pad.

Some like them though, so each to their own. I can see a use for touchscreen for quick focus change in street tog, but I don't do this type of photography.

But it is a good idea to get hands on as you may prefer the layout of canon over Nikon, or vice versa.

Go for the Canon. Everyone knows it's the best for astrophotography ;)

10 seconds is a long time for the northern lights.

Go for the Canon. Everyone knows it's the best for astrophotography ;)

10 seconds is a long time for the northern lights.
I'm assuming you're kidding, but just in case you're not and I've missed something I'll ask why? :p

I'm assuming you're kidding, but just in case you're not and I've missed something I'll ask why? :p
Nope not kidding, everyone but you knows it, in fact you know it, you're just denying it ;)

Nope not kidding, everyone but you knows it, in fact you know it, you're just denying it ;)
So lower dynamic range and worse noise handling make for better astrophotography do they? Well you learn something new every day ;) :p

...well you might ;)

So lower dynamic range and worse noise handling make for better astrophotography do they? Well you learn something new every day ;) :p
*yawn*

I considered the 750D and 5300. I purchased the 5300 for having nearly 2 extra stop DR, GPS, £100 cheaper and no AA filter.

Canon does have a touch screen that makes life easy to navigate when you don't know the camera but can't think of anything else.

which one did you buy ? I'm looking at the 5300 myself...

@Fu Manchu

Which did you go for in the end??

tris

Id got for the Nikon personally. Having a massive dynamic range with low noise is such a big bonus

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom