Nikon D5300 or Canon EOS 750D

Fu Manchu

Standard Member
Evening guys

I am looking for some advice on my 1st DLSR camera.

Recently had the opportunity to photograph the Northern lights using my Samsung Galaxy compact camera and got to thinking that I wanted an upgrade to produce better pics.

Below are a couple of pics produced by the Galaxy cam; setting were 10 sec, 2.8, ISO 800,

I am a complete novice but would like to better these images; does one of the above mentioned camera's stand out more than the other?

Attachments

• 20151106_230440.JPG
    20151106_230440.JPG
    3 MB · Views: 119
  • 20151104_225857.JPG
    20151104_225857.JPG
    713.3 KB · Views: 99

snerkler

Distinguished Member

Fu Manchu

Standard Member
Thanks for the info Snerkler, the only real draw was the touchscreen but it isnt something I see as a must; I'll get some hands on time with both next week

Thank you

snerkler

Distinguished Member
Thanks for the info Snerkler, the only real draw was the touchscreen but it isnt something I see as a must; I'll get some hands on time with both next week

Thank you
You have to think when you will use the touchscreen. I actually turn mine off on my Olympus EM5-II as I find you accidentally press something all the time. Plus for simply reviewing images I've not found a camera with a screen that is as responsive as an iphone, and an 'unresponsive' touchscreen annoys me ;) I prefer using the control pad.

Some like them though, so each to their own. I can see a use for touchscreen for quick focus change in street tog, but I don't do this type of photography.

But it is a good idea to get hands on as you may prefer the layout of canon over Nikon, or vice versa.

Member 55145

Distinguished Member
Go for the Canon. Everyone knows it's the best for astrophotography ;)

10 seconds is a long time for the northern lights.

snerkler

Distinguished Member
Go for the Canon. Everyone knows it's the best for astrophotography ;)

10 seconds is a long time for the northern lights.
I'm assuming you're kidding, but just in case you're not and I've missed something I'll ask why? :p

Member 55145

Distinguished Member
I'm assuming you're kidding, but just in case you're not and I've missed something I'll ask why? :p
Nope not kidding, everyone but you knows it, in fact you know it, you're just denying it ;)

snerkler

Distinguished Member
Nope not kidding, everyone but you knows it, in fact you know it, you're just denying it ;)
So lower dynamic range and worse noise handling make for better astrophotography do they? Well you learn something new every day ;) :p

shotokan101

Banned
...well you might ;)

ashenfie

I considered the 750D and 5300. I purchased the 5300 for having nearly 2 extra stop DR, GPS, £100 cheaper and no AA filter.

Canon does have a touch screen that makes life easy to navigate when you don't know the camera but can't think of anything else.

kevshed

which one did you buy ? I'm looking at the 5300 myself...

nero0410

Distinguished Member
@Fu Manchu

Which did you go for in the end??

tris

sinth18

Id got for the Nikon personally. Having a massive dynamic range with low noise is such a big bonus

The latest video from AVForums

Star Wars Andor, Woman King, more Star Trek 4K, Rings of Power & the latest TV, movies & 4K releases
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom