1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Nikon D50 vs Minolta 5D

Discussion in 'Photography Forums' started by Dad's Army, Oct 30, 2005.

1. Dad's Army

Dad's Army

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm still pondering over which DSLR to buy, my list has come to the Nikon D50 and Minolta 5D.Reviews on both these cameras seem to come out the same,both are priced around the same,they are roughly the same size,the Minolta has the anti shake system and a slightly bigger kit lens, does anyone have any views or experience as to which is the better camera ? Your views would be much appreciated.I used to have a film based SLR but no longer have any lens etc. so previous equipment is not an issue.I currently have a Nikon Coolpix4200 but miss the SLR style operation and handling.Both the D50 and 5D felt similar to hold, the Nikon seemed a bit chunkier....Many thanks in advance...
    Dave.

2. Ikki

Ikki

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +97
    I think that you have identified the main differences, also in the Nikons favour is the larger choice / availability of lenses. I believe that they have the same CCD sensor.

I went for the Minolta 5D in the end because of the A/S and the larger LCD on the back, I also appreciate the longer kit lens. So far, I am very pleased with my choice and despite saying that there is a greater choice of lenses in Nikon fit, I am finding no problem in locating what I want for the 5D.