• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

nikon d50 or fijifilm s9500

B

blackpool1980

hi im looking to buy a new camera.
the fuji has a fixed lens or should i go with the nikon d50.

deep_thought

Novice Member
I started looking at the s9500 and don't think I would have been disappointed, but ultimately thought I'd get more out of the D50, on the grounds of more options for creative control and better picture quality. Still gives the 'idiot' settings for use while you learn to be more creative.

The S9500 would have been a big step up from my compact but I felt I'd be wanting more in a few months.

So ask me in a few months if I regret it! However if you're considering a D50 that's probably what you should go for - unless you're really paranoid about dust or need to shoot movie clips.

Also, make sure you have time to read the manual in detail, and spend time learning to use all the controls, which are brilliantly laid out - once you know where they are.

senu

Distinguished Member
As point and shoot you may not be able to tell PQ difference from either camera.
Also you may ( initially) find the Nikons controls a bit fiddlly to start with.

Its main advantage is perhaps an upward path when you want to upgrade. If you buy an additional Nikon lens, flash or other assesory, you can use it on a latter model.
This may not nessesarily be true for the Fuji.

I have a fuji 602z which I had used for 30 months and felt very au fait with. I now have ( in addition ) a Canon 350D and almost never use the fuji any more.
In reality, there are some great shots from the fuji and rather naff ones from the Canon ( taken when first bought) but that was down to me .. not the camera.
My latter efforts with the Canon have been very rewarding

I had a Canon film EOS whose lens and flash have come in handy with the DSLR
If you think you will have a sustained interest The Nikon seems a better bet (in the long run) otherwise the Fuji will serve you well while you make your mind up one way or the other.
Suffice to say the Nikon is probably able to enhace your creativity further when you master its controls.
Good Luck:hiya:

bibamus

So, how are you going to choose between the Nikon and Canon now?
Allan ( getthenikongetthenikongetthenikon) :devil:

senu

Distinguished Member
bibamus said:
So, how are you going to choose between the Nikon and Canon now?
Allan ( getthenikongetthenikongetthenikon) :devil:

Shhh..... Its the Fuji and Nikon...:rolleyes:

Of course The Canon is now in the Running.

Must say despite owning the Canon I recently held th D50 and liked its build quality.
The Canon is much better featured and it is actually a lot more robust than initial impressions give. It can take a few knocks contrary to its initial feel would suggest.
However clearly Both Cameras are a big step up from P&S ;)

Jazz Monkey Jr

Distinguished Member
I have just come from a point and dhoot, fuji 6900 and gone to the 350D, the difference in sharpness is staggering, even when they are both resized to 800 pixels.

Fuji 6900:

bellaold2xb.jpg

Canon 350D 50mm:

bella2xs.jpg

SeanT

Distinguished Member
The 3.3 megapixel 6900 you have compared (rather unfairly) to a 350D doesn't even begin to compare with the 9 megapixel prosumer 9500 though really does it.....
I have the 9500 and it is a good fun "serious" camera with lots of bells and whistles but that a child could use - on the flipside to the upgradability, with a half decent 28-300mm lens as standard and the 9 mp files / raw files to work with in photoshop you will save yourself a fortune on buying lenses!

Jazz Monkey Jr

Distinguished Member
I was just showing what a leap it is going from a standard digital camera to a new decent one was, and wasn't comparing directly to a 9500.

P.S. The 6900 is 3.1mp :smashin:

B

blackpool1980

thanks guys for your help.just bought a nikon d50 from sava .com for £380. I went for the nikon because of the upgrade.lens are cheap to buy off e-bay.:clap:

senu

Distinguished Member
... Congratulations :smashin: : I see ( in your future) many hrs of fun photgraphing anything in sight!!:rotfl:

Magslad

Great choice. Now get your vote on the "which camera do you own" poll - I'm the only D50 owner to have put my vote in and I'm feeling very outnumbered by all the 350D owners!

B

blackpool1980

got the camera .nikon d50.but would like to upgrade the lens to a 70 -300.
which is the best to go ,a nikon or sigma.they are about £120 in jessops.:confused:

The latest video from AVForums

Guardians of the Galaxy Xmas Special, Strange World, Bones and All, and Cabinet of Dr Caligari in 4K
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom