• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Nikon d40

trust us

Been offered a new one from a shop without the lens is the price 150.00 thinking about geting a better lens for it what's the next price up.or should i just get the sony 200model ?

Jeffa256

I would snap up the D40 because the camera has a good life span and can do what the Sony cannot. There are a neverending of choices of lenses on the Nikon and even if they are not made by Nikon they are pretty handy. A half decent 500MM Telephoto lense will go well with that or perhaps a half decent wide Angle.
If you are patient and buy a simple lense for now while you experiment you will build you lense group up to perhaps include one or more of the Nikon VR range which give both a good focal range and depth of field but also that Vibration Reduction mechanism. Plus if you were to upgrade to a newer model you would not lose out because your lenses will be your camera. A bit lke a computer in a way. You don't throw away your Graphics card and Processor etc just because you upgrade your Motherboard do you.

dazza74

Distinguished Member
That's a very good price I would get that for that money and have a look at buying a lens like the 18-105 VR can be found for around £175.

leaky5

I would snap up the D40 because the camera has a good life span and can do what the Sony cannot. There are a neverending of choices of lenses on the Nikon and even if they are not made by Nikon they are pretty handy. A half decent 500MM Telephoto lense will go well with that or perhaps a half decent wide Angle.

I think you need to qualify the first statement a bit, what can it do that the Sony can not ? They are both good entry level cameras and that is a good price.

As for lenses a Nikon 500mm is nearly £5000. You would be better off with one like Dazza74 mentions and maybe a 70-300 for longer reach.

dazza74

Distinguished Member
Completely agree mate nowt wrong with Sony, got a lot going for it the a200 as your getting a 10 megapixel camera as opposed to a 6 megapixel with the Nikon D40 and in built lens stabilisation. Still think that is a very good deal for the D40 just offering a balanced viewpoint.

Ballgirl

As an entry level camera the Nikon D40 is great. As mentioned all Nikon lens made over the last 20 years will work. Ok, some might be manual focus only but that in it self can help bring your photography leaps and bounds.

The camera has very useful help info built into the camera and the size is nice and compact.

The sony has image stabilisation on the body but both Nikon and Canon believe its more effective built into the lens.

It is only due to upgrading to a D90 I've decided to get rid of my D40 now.

Ned Senior

every one has been saying for the past coupla/three months "make sure you get the autofocus lens" whichever length is mentioned then now here is ballgirl telling us that THIS is not a real issue.. That means a lot to me to hear as I was under the newby impression that my D60 would not function at all aith a non HSM lens

Yippee I'm off out shopping next week ( took some shots yesterday but the subject was far too distant (( A ship)))

Thanks Ballgirl :)

Ballgirl

A lot of time in low light situations auto focus doesn't work anyway.

Fireworks was a key example.

If you are doing something like motorsport yeah sure you need autofocus but landscapes, macro and portraits you should be ok with manual. If the D60 is like the D40, you have a focus assist light in the bottom left to help you. :)

Ned Senior

A lot of time in low light situations auto focus doesn't work anyway.

Fireworks was a key example.

If you are doing something like motorsport yeah sure you need autofocus but landscapes, macro and portraits you should be ok with manual. If the D60 is like the D40, you have a focus assist light in the bottom left to help you. :)

Mostly seascapes from my kitchen window or over the park on the seawall... also landscapes nearby here and up at the lakes with maybe the odd portrait if I can get anyone to stop hiding their faces :D (murder trying to shoot the family last weekend!!!!)
The fireworks thing was a great example thanks I much prefer night scenes
Can I suggest a trip to paris disney for the bonfire special if you like that sort of shot... lasers pumping music and fireworks on the lake TRULY AWE INSPIRING!!!

:)

Last edited:

The latest video from AVForums

Fidelity in Motion's David Mackenzie talks about his work on disc encoding & the future of Blu-ray
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom