Nikon D3100

y2afuk

Established Member
Reaction score
Looking into getting my first DLSR as going travelling around the world later in the year. Had my heart set on Canon D550 but as never had a DLSR before the Nikon D3100 looks like a wiser choice to get started into the hobby and learn the ropes. Looking for user opinions please on the D3100 or other alternatives pls :)

Looking into getting my first DLSR as going travelling around the world later in the year. Had my heart set on Canon D550 but as never had a DLSR before the Nikon D3100 looks like a wiser choice to get started into the hobby and learn the ropes. Looking for user opinions please on the D3100 or other alternatives pls :)

What put you off the 550D?

Nothing just felt it was better to start off with a entry level DLSR before progressing onto a higher end one in a few years once got my experience.

They both have an auto setting. :) Experience comes quicker than you think and you'll have a D3100 when you wanted the 550D.

I think they are both great entry-level cameras to begin with. It's just a matter of what you will feel like using. Why not try to go to a shop and feel both cameras. Then from there, you can decided which one of them has a more comfortable feel on your hands. :D

Just my .02

I agree, most important thing is how they feel to you to handle. When I bought my first camera the choice was made very quickly when I had them in my hands. To me I preferred the chunkiness of the Nikon D70 at the time whilst my mate couldnt stand it and preffered the plasticness and relative light weight of the canon.

id say try them on how they feel to handle to you. The Nikon, Canon, Pentax and even :) Sony. I do not think any of them have a bad camera out there.

Then also I would check how many setting can be set easily without having to delve into menus. It is my pet hate of entry level cameras. In my opinion you should be able to adjust the basics without having to delve into the menu system.

go and handle them in a shop and ask questions :)

I had the same dilemma back in Feb, they're both good cameras. Ended up getting the D3100 as it was £200 less than the 550D at the time.

Last edited:
I would look at the Canon 600D. Some mags say it's the best entry level on the market, and the tilt screen is a big bonus.

Took one of my best shots ever through a gap in the crowd at Goodwood FOS last year using the tilt screen...would hate to be without it now :smashin:

I would look at the Canon 600D. Some mags say it's the best entry level on the market, and the tilt screen is a big bonus.

I suspect that is £100 more than the OP's budget.

Sod budgets! :laugh: Save a bit longer.

:D

There are an awful lot of cameras at around £700, you'd have to do a lot of justifying to buy a 600D over a D3100 at £250 less. I'd prefer the cheaper body and an extra lens. :smashin:

If we are budget busting, and if I was starting from scratch I think I'd got more in the middle of those options then and for something like the A55 :) The included ability to geotag without hassle is great as well :)

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom