Nikon d3100 help

peanutdemon69

Novice Member
Hello guys and girls was at a photo shoot tonight at the camera club I got to.And had everything set up set my camera to 1/25th on f8 tried f11 in the studio but whenever I took the picture on a white backdrop the model was burned out.checked all my camera setting and the studio lights and they looked fine.Is there anything I am missing or need to set-up.luckly there was other camera there I could use but want to use mine next time if I can get to work.

Johnmcl7

Distinguished Member
Did you mean 1/25th for the shutter speed? That seems low for studio shooting, what iso were you using?

John

Johnmcl7

Distinguished Member
I don't have much studio shooting experience myself, just using normal flashes but I'd have thought 1/125th would be absolutely fine so I'm a bit puzzled as to what was going wrong. Are there any pictures you can upload to show the problem? If not, can you paste a copy of the exif data?

Just a thought, did you have auto-iso enabled? I'm not sure how the system works on the D3100 but I have managed to totally mess up photos on the D700 with the flash because I left auto-iso on accidentally and the camera was using that to effectively override the exposure from the manual shutter/aperture settings I was using.

John

eddiewood

Distinguished Member
I am not sure john if auto exposer was on but by sounds of it I think it must be on automatic.will have a look into this today.
So just to confirm, your camera was not on M mode? (Manual).

eddiewood

Distinguished Member
after consulting my nikon d3100 for dummies book think i have worked out. i had my metering on matrix but i think if i put it on spot i should get a better pic and will not burn out i hope
If your camera is on manual, YOU set the exposure. I'm not convinced that you had it on manual. :D

eddiewood

Distinguished Member
Oh hang on....you were using the camera to meter the scene???

Johnmcl7

Distinguished Member
If your camera is on manual, YOU set the exposure. I'm not convinced that you had it on manual. :D
That's why I wondered if it was the auto-iso that was causing the issue because if the shutter/aperture is locked I think the camera can still vary the iso to get the exposure it thinks is correct. It would be very useful to see at least the exif from one of these shots.

John

eddiewood

Distinguished Member
I was wondering if the camera was being used to meter the scene, which would not of course know anything about the studio flash.

*simonblue hinted at it above in fact.

Johnmcl7

Distinguished Member
I agree as that makes sense given as you say the camera wouldn't know about the flash so would set the exposure far too slow but if the shutter and aperture were correctly locked (which we don't know for sure admittedly) the iso is the only other setting I can think of that the camera could change to get what it would think is the correct exposure.

John

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Reported HDMI 2.1 bugs, Audiolab Amp & LG LED Projector reviews + Best of the Month
Top Bottom