Nikon D200

Discussion in 'Photography Forums' started by martynk, Nov 1, 2005.

1. martynk

martynk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well, I'll have to wait until I have an opportunity to try one, but the specs and preliminary reviews suggest that my search for a DSLR is over. The D200 seems to have everything I want, including a magnesium alloy body, reasonable viewfinder and support for the older, manual, Nikkor lenses.

2. Iain Shields

Iain Shields

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    It does look pretty good dosn't it, but so it should at £1300 body only.

You might try waiting untill Canon release the 20D replacment (apparently around Febuary, no doubt we'll hear about it soon) then go shopping for your D200 as Nikon would no doubt drop the price a good bit then. It's possible these two could be trading at around the £1000 mark when the fight really gets going :devil:

Regards,
    Iain.

3. sorbiegunner

sorbiegunner
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    The problem with this strategy is that new cameras seldom come out on the 'rumour' date so you could wait til Feb. then you have to wait on til the actual announcement in (for arguments sake) Apr. and the actual launch in May, but newness keeps the Canons price up til about July meaning that Nikon don't have to do much to price match til a couple of months later (it's September 2006 now) when the price war kicks off but by this time there's rumour of a new D300 in the pipeline so you decide to hold of for a bit to see what it's like, but the problem with this strategy is that new cameras seldom come out on the 'rumour' date ....... ad infinitum

4. Iain Shields

Iain Shields

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Very true mate, it can very easily go that way.

The problem is knowing when you've waited enough. Put it this way, the chances of you getting a D200 close to release time are pretty slim (even if you do pre-order), and the chances of Canon letting Nikon have the market to themselves with a new product for long are pretty slim aswell.

I'd say we'll hear news of the 20D replacement before the D200 hits the streets (or not long after), and if it's a quick release as Canon seem to do, it might be worth holding off to get a good price. That's just my take on it though, some people just cant wait and if that's what you want... go for it :)

Regards,
    Iain.

5. martynk

martynk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    This is all worth thinking about, and there's no real rush - I've waited quite a while and another few months won't make any difference. Funnily enough, availability isn't much of a problem in South Africa - we usually see stock in the stores shortly after it start shipping - it's the prices that hurt! That's one of the reasons I'm very tempted by the D200. I've got legacy glass from my Nikon film SLRs which would do very well for the time being, and wouldn't have to invest in new lenses.

6. Radiohead

Radiohead

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +444
  7. Iain Shields

Iain Shields

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    I did mate, you were quick on the ball with that one.

I was just waiting for the Nikon folks to jump onto it before I did, just in case a Canon man mentioning that it seemed a bit expensive started a flame war!! :rolleyes:

...and before I start one here, I'll say that I mean it in relation to the $1699 US price. Their currency converter seems to be stuck in the 1990's (along with every other company's I might add) :lesson:

Regards,
    Iain.