• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Nikon announce D300 and full-frame D3

Radiohead

Prominent Member
It's here, after perhaps the longest period of speculation ever Nikon has today lifted the covers on their first full-frame digital SLR, the new 12.1 megapixel D3. The D3 is all about speed and sensitivity, twelve megapixels on a big CMOS chip means large photosites (8.45 µm pitch to be precise) and that adds up to base sensitivity of ISO 200 to 6400 with an additional two stop boost over that (up to ISO 25600). The other side of the speed story (apart from blistering AF and shutter lag) is that the D3 can shoot at nine frames per second with AF tracking or eleven frames per second without. Other headline features are a newly branded EXPEED image processor, a new 51-point AF sensor, color AF tracking, dual CF compartments (with UDMA support), an amazing 3.0" 922,000 pixel LCD monitor with Live View (including contrast detect auto-focus), HDMI video output and even a virtual horizon function which can tell you when you're holding the camera perfectly level. There's too much to fit here so we crammed as much as we can into a preview. The D3 will be available in November, at around US$5000.

http://www.dpreview.com/news/0708/07082312nikond3.asp

n addition to the FX format (Full-frame) D3 Nikon has also announced the new DX format D300 which also features a 12 megapixel CMOS sensor, 14-bit A/D conversion, EXPEED image processor, sensitivity up to ISO 6400 (with boost), the new CAM3500DX AF sensor (51 point), HDMI video output, UDMA CF support and last but not least the super-impressive 3.0" 922,000 pixel LCD monitor with Live View. No ordinary Live View either as this one supports Auto Focus in two ways; using the current 'normal' mirror-drop / mirror-raise but also contrast detect in the same way as a compact camera (although slower). The D300 will be available in November, at around US$1800.

http://www.dpreview.com/news/0708/07082313nikond300.asp

D3 prices:

• US: $ 4999
• UK: £ 3399
• EU: € 5180

D300 prices:

• US: $ 1799
• UK: £ 1299
• EU: € 1980

D300
d300front001cg9.jpg

d300rear001go6.jpg

D3
d3front001vy4.jpg

d3rear001cd9.jpg

Five new NIKKOR lenses are also launched today. They include a ground-breaking extreme wide-angle zoom lens, the AF-S 14-24mm f/2.8G ED and a slim line standard zoom, the AF-S 24-70mm f/2.8G ED. Nikon has also launched three all-new super telephoto lenses with VR (Vibration Reduction), the AF-S 400mm f/2.8G ED VR, AF-S 500mm f/4G ED VR and AF-S 600mm f/4G ED VR.

http://press.nikonusa.com/2007/08/pr...nses_enter.php

Prices:

AF-S, 14 - 24 mm, F2.8G ED lens - $1799
AF-S, 24 - 70 mm, F2.8G ED lens - $1699
AF-S, 400 mm F2.8G ED VR lens - $8799
AF-S, 500 mm F4.0G ED VR lens - $7899
AF-S, 600 mm F4.0G ED VR lens - $9499

HMHB

Distinguished Member
Very interesting, this could see some price reductions in the not too distant future...... he says with fingers crossed :thumbsup:

Steve N

Distinguished Member
The news all Nikon users have been waiting for.

I was hoping that Nikon would bring out an AW to compete with Canons 10-22mm so was interested to see the 14-24mm BUT - can that price be right :eek:
The price of the 12-24mm was what pushed me into getting the Sigma 10-20mm.

Yandros

Prominent Member
Woohoo! Rumours were spot on for once :clap:

Nothing like competition to keep the market moving.

Some of those D300 specs are pretty jaw dropping...

922,000 pixel screen :eek: vs the Canon 40D 230,000!!!
Nikon finally wake up and put anti-dust on the sensor
100% frame coverage in the viewfinder
Live view with contrast AF

must....resist!!!...must..keep...credit card...in wallet!!!!

It'll be interesting to see if the high ISO has improved with the move to a CMOS sensor - that and the anti-dust could make me part with some cash in a year or two

allymac123

Prominent Member
Those both look pretty impressive!!

I also find it quite interesting that Nikon have released a set of longer prime's so where before that realm was pretty much Canon's there's now no reason not to use Nikon. I imagine Canon are pretty shaken up by these announcments. Hopefully we'll see a proper DLSR war.

Yandros

Prominent Member
Those both look pretty impressive!!

I also find it quite interesting that Nikon have released a set of longer prime's so where before that realm was pretty much Canon's there's now no reason not to use Nikon. I imagine Canon are pretty shaken up by these announcments. Hopefully we'll see a proper DLSR war.

Yeah, though I feel for the D40(x) owners who were hoping for AF-S updates of the shorter primes.

As someone else pointed out over on dpreview, it's wierd though that Canon and Nikon are almost acting as one manufacturer - they're carefully meshing their product lines to never directly compete.

Next candidate for an upgrade has surely got to be the 5D price point to trump the D300 :)

Liquid101

Distinguished Member
Better start counting my 57p's

Thanks for the update Guy - I was looking all over the net the other night for information.

gibbsy

That's put the skids on me, was looking to buy either a D200 or Fuji S5. Think I'll wait a while now. Thanks for the info.

swall101

Prominent Member
How long do you think it will be before we see a drop in price of the D200?

Yandros

Prominent Member
How long do you think it will be before we see a drop in price of the D200?

It depends. I've heard it mentioned that Nikon will keep both the D200 and D300 in the range. There's currently about £500 difference between the D200 and D300, so unless the Canon 40D completely stuffs the D200 sales, you may not see much discount at all.

dealmaker

Standard Member
So if I get this right the fact that it is full frame means it more closely resembles 135.

If I were to buy any DX lenses NOW and then purchase the D3 at a later date - using the DX lenses will automatically reduce the resolution at which the D3 captures images?

So really one wants to avoid DX lenses unless you plan to stick with D200/D2X - as I assume Nikon are going to produce higher resolution version in future using the FX technology?

This has really put a spanner in the works - looks like I iwll have to wait until the new cameras are available - pointless buying anything in the interim!

Yandros

Prominent Member
So if I get this right the fact that it is full frame means it more closely resembles 135.

If I were to buy any DX lenses NOW and then purchase the D3 at a later date - using the DX lenses will automatically reduce the resolution at which the D3 captures images?

So really one wants to avoid DX lenses unless you plan to stick with D200/D2X - as I assume Nikon are going to produce higher resolution version in future using the FX technology?

This has really put a spanner in the works - looks like I iwll have to wait until the new cameras are available - pointless buying anything in the interim!

It looks like Nikon are going down the twin track route - DX format for everything up to the D300, and FX for the D3 and the (guessing the name) D3x. The last piece of the puzzle is this full frame (FX) 20MP+ replacement for the now highly redundant D2Xs.

To be honest, seeing the way the D300 has raised the bar, I don't see many amateurs needing the D3 series. Most wildlife shooters are going to stick with DX for a start, as it saves a FORTUNE on tele lenses.

The latest video from AVForums

Spielberg, Shyamalan, Aronofsky, Chazelle, Eddie Murphy and Mel Gibson - all the latest movies
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom