Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6 G IF-ED VR Lens

Hi all.
Thinking of getting one of the subject lens.
Could anyone explain what the 'G' means?
I understand the rest, just the G!

TIA Andy

Thanks Mike, nice one.

Bit odd mind, as my 18-55 kit lens and 55-200 VR doesn't have an aperture ring, and there's no G in those!!!

Thanks again for the help.

jomike

Bit odd mind, as my 18-55 kit lens and 55-200 VR doesn't have an aperture ring, and there's no G in those!!!

My 18-55 kit lens says G on it (in the gold lettering), don't have the 55-200VR but I suspect it will say G on the lens as well. They don't always quote the full code in the literature as it becomes an alphabet soup. :eek:

I would love to get the 70-300VR for the VR, but finances say stick with my Sigma 70-300 APO and use a tripod :rolleyes:

Mike

Ooh, just noticed my kit 18-55 DOES have the gold G :oops:
as does the 55-200 VR!!!

DERRRR

:suicide:

Cheers for the advice all, and cheers Fozzy for the examples (nice username btw...!!!)

CyBeRkId2002

am quite amazed by those shots... had been considering a longer lens and was looking at the 2.8 options (cheaper 80-200 nikon and 70-200 sigma not the 70-200vr) but will now have to give this lens some serious consideration.

Thanks for the sample shots.

Yandros

also, does anyone have any shots taken with this lens in low light situations. Am interested to see how the VR compares with a wider aperture.

Doing the math, a cropped 300mm lens needs ideally about 1/500th to ensure no camera shake. VR gains you about 3-4 stops, so that pulls it back to 1/60th. If your subject is stationary/slow moving (eg bird on branch), VR is going to be amazingly useful. However, if your subject is fast moving (eg sports, or bird in flight), you're going to need 1/500th or more anyway, so the VR is far less useful than say f2.8

philaitman

Novice Member
What Yandros Said :D

If you want to freeze fast moving action in low light then you need a faster wider aperture this isn't what VR is there to replace. If you just want low light/long focal length hand holding ability then VR does this very well.
If you have a steady hand you can get keepers and 300mm and 1/30th if the subject is still.

The latest video from AVForums

LG G1 OLED Evo TV and SVS SB-1000 Pro subwoofer reviews, Samsung OLED rumours and more...
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom