• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Nikon AF-S 70-300mm VR

Valleyman

Established Member
Am awfully tempted to go for one of these, but info is very scarce on the ground at the moment

It looks like they're only just making it into shops, so was wondering if one of you guys could hook me up with any reviews, or even better if any of you have recently got this lens yourself.

PaulBoy

Established Member
Am awfully tempted to go for one of these, but info is very scarce on the ground at the moment

It looks like they're only just making it into shops, so was wondering if one of you guys could hook me up with any reviews, or even better if any of you have recently got this lens yourself.

Quite a few threads over at Nikonians (.org) in the Nikkor Lenses Forum - Wouldn't say the reviews were all 100% positive but seems Nikon have done a good job with this lens (shame they never seem to get the distribution side right) Finding one is a challenge to say the least but if you're after one I MIGHT be able to help (?)
Paul ;)

lmccauley

Prominent Member
Quite a few threads over at Nikonians (.org) in the Nikkor Lenses Forum - Wouldn't say the reviews were all 100% positive but seems Nikon have done a good job with this lens (shame they never seem to get the distribution side right) Finding one is a challenge to say the least but if you're after one I MIGHT be able to help (?)
Paul ;)
Don't tell me you've already bought one and got bored of it already? :eek: ;)

I see onestop-digital have it in stock for £380.

Cheers,
Liam

Puli

Established Member
CamerasforU have them in stock for £331....:smashin:

And mine is due any day. :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

Can post a non tech view when I get the Lens....

Paul

PaulBoy

Established Member
Don't tell me you've already bought one and got bored of it already? :eek: ;)

I see onestop-digital have it in stock for £380.

Cheers,
Liam

Cheeky basket! No I haven't but OneStop only got given a few & are sold out already & these other dealers who are saying they have stock will only be getting a few at a time :suicide: - I happen to know someone who was getting 2 this week & I told him I'd let him know of someone looking for one to save him the trouble of listing it on 3Bay ... Paul :hiya:

Puli

Established Member
these other dealers who are saying they have stock will only be getting a few at a time :suicide: :

Thats what I heard, but since CamerasforU were the cheapest, I place the order a week ago expecting it "sometime" next year. However they have email me say that its been "dispacted", but I still haven't got it yet:(

Watch this space

Paul

PaulBoy

Established Member
Thats what I heard, but since CamerasforU were the cheapest, I place the order a week ago expecting it "sometime" next year. However they have email me say that its been "dispacted", but I still haven't got it yet:(

Watch this space

Paul

Well hopefully you'll get one of the early ones - just bear in mind Nikon's track record with lenses - some people have waited several months for lenses like the 18-200mm ... Paul ;)
PS - My contact had two coming from the States (to Scotland) but was not able to guarantee I get mine b4 Xmas (which isn't a problem 4 me)

PaulBoy

Established Member
Anyone looking for an extensive review of this lens - see HERE - lots of good image detail etc
Paul :smashin:
PS - Ken Rockwell's review now up too - see HERE

Puli

Established Member
Just Got hold of my one today!:D

Haven't had the chance to try it out yet due to me me on nights for a couple of days, but I will try and post a view soon.

Watch this space!!!;)

Paul

PaulBoy

Established Member
check

kenrockwell.com

i read a review on there about this lens sometime ago

... or use the link to that review i posted above (#9) :devil:

inkinoo

Distinguished Member
i was interested in this myself, i'm guessing you have this len's so could you possibly post some pic's from it on here ? :smashin:

303035368_f6c3866fe1_b.jpg

PaulBoy

Established Member
This lens is a waste of time. Glass is not that great and f number is no better than the 18-200.

A waste of time for you maybe but if someone doesn't have a 18-200mm and wants a telephoto zoom to go with their 18-55mm kit lens there is now a choice of THREE Nikon 70-300mm lenses!
This one is f4.5/5.6 which as you say is one stop higher than the 18-200mm but first of all it has VRII so you gain four stops (& yes I know the 18-200mm is a VRII lens)
Also you would not be using a 70-300mm zoom in the same way you might use a 18-200mm which is designed to be used as a "one lens" solution
I had a 18-200mm & most of all missed the 200-300mm end - I got it as a "one lens" solution but was not happy with the compromises that entailed & sold it prefering to return to a set of three lenses (ydangle midrange and telephoto zoom)
There has been plenty of praise from other users about the quality of the new 70-300mm both for the glass (which is ED) and build (which includes SWM & IF)
When I get mine I will be the first to post a "avoid like the plague" type post if it turns out to be an inferior product but I expect it will suit many who wish to add to their existing lens(es) & don't feel it should be dismissed as a waste of time ...
Paul :smashin:

beachy

Established Member
paul i look forward to your review and pic's from this len's, i bought the sigma 70-300mm APO a few weeks ago,and about a week after getting it found out about the nikon vr :(, so i will be interested to see how they compare,(if i remember right you used to own the sigma 70-300)if there's a great deal of difference i may sell mine and go for the nikon, as like yourself i want to go for the 3 len's solution, sigma 10-20mm + 17-70mm and 70-300mm :smashin:

PaulBoy

Established Member
paul i look forward to your review and pic's from this len's, i bought the sigma 70-300mm APO a few weeks ago,and about a week after getting it found out about the nikon vr :(, so i will be interested to see how they compare,(if i remember right you used to own the sigma 70-300)if there's a great deal of difference i may sell mine and go for the nikon, as like yourself i want to go for the 3 len's solution, sigma 10-20mm + 17-70mm and 70-300mm :smashin:
beachy - not quite i actually had a Tamron AF 70-300mm f/4-5.6 Di LD Macro and before that the Nikon AF Nikkor 70-300mm f/4-5.6 G - from what I've read the Sigma you have is the best of the bunch but of course has no VR which is one of the main attractions of the new VR 70-300mm
I'll certainly post some sort of review & some pics when i get it which should be in next few days - fwiw i have the Nikon 12-24 & 24-120 lenses as my other two of three (if u follow me?) ... Paul :smashin:

Radiohead

Prominent Member
This lens is a waste of time. Glass is not that great and f number is no better than the 18-200.

In your opinion.

The 18-200 is no great shakes optically but that misses the point entirely. It's the range and convenience that makes it such a winner, with VR icing on a well-equipped cake.

The same goes for the 70-300 VR.

Puli

Established Member
Ok. Had a bit of a play around with my new lens today.

If anyone wants to see the originals I can email them out so just PM me. (I don’t have any web space!);)

Ok, 1st picture is just showing how big the Lens is compare to the 18mm to 70mm Lens. I personally don’t find it that large. Holding it and taking shots is quite comfortable. Also as a side point the lens filter size is 67mm, the same as my 18-70mm, so only one set of filters.

The rest of the pictures are all as out of the camera. It seems to have a very nice shallow depth of field (as shown by the swans feet). Also some my shots at the 300mm end seem soft, but I find the reach great.:smashin:

VR. It’s very quiet but it does eat your battery. I got about 130 shots off with 30% battery. All my shots were hand held, the flower was taken at 1/50 and while not a good shot it shows what the VR can do. The others were at fast shutter speeds. My fav is the swan’s head, with a bit of adjusting it’s a great shot, and at 270mm. (Well I think so!):clap:

I have read most of the other reviews on the web were most people really like the lens. I am not a expert by any means, this is hardly a review and I do still need play around with it, but I am more than happy with paying the extra for the VR. The lens to me seems great but maybe soft at the far end around the 200 to 300mm.

Hope this helps :thumbsup:

Paul

Attachments

• Lens with Camera resized.jpg
    Lens with Camera resized.jpg
    67.6 KB · Views: 169
  • View at 300mm resized.jpg
    View at 300mm resized.jpg
    118.9 KB · Views: 150
  • Swan at 270mm Resized.jpg
    Swan at 270mm Resized.jpg
    111.3 KB · Views: 117
  • Flower at 300mm resized.jpg
    Flower at 300mm resized.jpg
    114 KB · Views: 102
  • legs at 300mm resized.jpg
    legs at 300mm resized.jpg
    108 KB · Views: 219

inkinoo

Distinguished Member
In your opinion.

The 18-200 is no great shakes optically but that misses the point entirely. It's the range and convenience that makes it such a winner, with VR icing on a well-equipped cake.

The same goes for the 70-300 VR.

Of course it is in my opinion; what a pointless thing to say. If you need the 300mm and cheap then go for the 70-300. Otherwise, buy the 18-200 as it is about the only lens you will need.

Radiohead

Prominent Member
Of course it is in my opinion; what a pointless thing to say. If you need the 300mm and cheap then go for the 70-300. Otherwise, buy the 18-200 as it is about the only lens you will need.

Statements like "that lens is a waste of time" suggest a statment of fact and not opinion.

And as for the 18-200mm being the only lens you'll ever need, I don't think so.

PaulBoy

Established Member
If you need the 300mm and cheap then go for the 70-300.
Well if you wanted "cheap" the 70-300mm isn't the one I'd go for as its over £300 and I have already mentioned three in this thread that are around £100

Otherwise, buy the 18-200 as it is about the only lens you will need.
As I tried to say earlier if this is the ONLY lens you intend using its great at what it does but for me (& I know Radiohead had one so he speaks from experience too) there are too many compromises to justify keeping it

JMO of course ... Paul :smashin:

inkinoo

Distinguished Member
Statements like "that lens is a waste of time" suggest a statment of fact and not opinion.

No they don't. Have you responded to people who said the lens was good with "in your opinion". This is a forum. It is all about people's opinion. Unfortunately you are suffering from the quite British disease of it being acceptable to praise something but somehow it is unacceptable to criticise it.

And as for the 18-200mm being the only lens you'll ever need, I don't think so.

If you could only buy one lens, and if we are talking about 70-300VR then clearly money is an issue, then please tell me what you would get other than the 18-200?

My collection of lenses ranges from a 50mm f1.4 to a 500mm f4. For vestality, I have yet to find a better lens than the 18-200.

The latest video from AVForums

Spielberg, Shyamalan, Aronofsky, Chazelle, Eddie Murphy and Mel Gibson - all the latest movies
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom