NIkon 8800 or D70

Discussion in 'Photography Forums' started by ksteed, Jan 12, 2005.

1. ksteed

ksteed
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I was going to purchase the Nikon D70, but I simply do not want to be carrying a case of lenses with me all the time. I looked at the spec on the Nikon 8800 and was impressed. As we are talking a fair amount of money here, has anyone out there got a 8800 that they could advise me if they are happy with,or not, as the case may be. :rolleyes:

Many thanks

Kevan

2. witters

witters

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +293
    Why not look at the D70 with something like a 28-300 zoom lens? There are a sackful of reasons why the D70 is a better camera. Better results are just one of them. Also, the 8800 gets fairly average reviews.

You can check out both at www.dpreview.com

3. Koing

Koing
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The 8800 is for people who don't want the hassle of carring around a lot of lesnes. A 28-300mml lense of 'avg' quality will cost quite a bit. The F number will be poor so no shotting without the flash.

The D70 is a fully fledged DSLR with the SPEED, CONVIENENCE AND ROBUSTNESS. It is basically INSTANT from when you turn it on to shoot. 3fps shooting for 40 frames. Quick camera and enough manual settings for everyone.

The currnet crop of 8MP cameras aren't that great due to the closeness and of pixels on the CCD. Makes for noisey images then the last gen 5MP cameras.

Koing

4. Roy Mallard

Roy Mallard

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The Nikon 8800 (like it's forefathers the 5700, 5800 etc) has possibly the worst user interface I have ever encountered in my life.

You might save bulk and weight, but you'll need your handbook with you at all times.
    Optically, like all 8 meg BRIDGE cams, it ain't brilliant (CCD size is really a bit small).

Buy the D70, or if you want the convenience factor, a KONICA MINOLTA A2 or A200.

Really, the Nikon 8800 is a brute to use.

5. Boink!

Boink!

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +36
    I agree, go with the D70. The CP8800 fills a niche, but in the long run you'll wish you had the flexibility of the DSLR, especially as you can get a new D70 & (decent) lens kit off ebay for around £650. If I had the money, I'd get the D70 in a *ahem* flash.

Jon

6. Centurion

Centurion

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I agree the D70 is the only choice if your serious about photography