• Welcome to AVForums running Xenforo 2.2. The upgrade from 2.1 was successful and finished in just 90 minutes, well before 8am. The most notable changes in 2.2 are listed in this post.

Nikon 8400 / Nikon 5400 / Nikon D50

Ekko Star

Distinguished Member
Looking around for a decent camera at the moment. Have always liked the 5400 for it's wide angle lens but since it's discontinued it's hard to get ahold of.

Have seen the 8400 for some decent prices so am tempted by that. Is it a lot better than the 5400 ?

Or should I just plump up a little more money and go for a DSLR ? Not sure what the benefits would be here. The D50 seems to be going in some nice bundles as well.

What are your thoughts ?

stevegreen

I think I would decide on Prosumer vs DSLR in the first instance.

There are some outstanding deals to be had at the moment for the entry level DSLRs like the Nikon D50 and the Canon 350d.

Ekko Star

Distinguished Member
Well I've just picked up the 8400 for an absolutely stonking price today.

Yes the D50 is going for some excellent prices but not sure I need to go DSLR ? I'm not one to really swap and change lenses all the time.

What are the real world benefits of going DLSR over a prosumer ?

Ekko Star

Distinguished Member
I know everyone harks on about DSLR being the pro's choice and you can swap out lenses etc etc

But the quality of some of these prosumer cameras is simply excellent and if I'm honest far beyond my needs.

Anyway the 8400 is taking me some stunning pictures already. Fantastic :thumbsup:

bibamus

The benefit of a DSLR is ultimately, a better image. Yes, you may have to swap lenses all the time and risk getting dust all over the insides, but the range of DSLR lenses are way above what a prosumer camera could offer, though, at a price.
You can settle on a good zoom lens and never have to bother changing it again if thats what you want, or you can get one for every occasion.
If you are happy with what a good prosumer type can offer, then I would stay there, but if you always wondered if your shots could be sharper, more natural looking and with more choice of settings, then you may want to consider a DSLR.
They have a lot of downsides too. They are generally bigger and heavier and you need a big bag to carry everything about, so you risk looking a bit geeky. Everything you want to stick on the body is expensive ( you can spend thousands on a lens and £500 or more on a flash etc). But, once you have bought these, as long as you stay with that brand, you can upgrade bodies relatively cheaply.
They also generally use better components in a DSLR, hence the higher prices, but the biggest advantage is having a choice of lens that will produce exactly the results you want to acheive.
Of course, many high end non DSLR cameras are brilliant at what they do and produce fantastic pictures, but by their very nature, can be a bit of a compromise when it comes to the choice of options you require.
Of course, I could be completely wrong..... :oops:

allan

Bristol Pete

Novice Member
Good advice Allan, I think that ultimately, its about knowing what you want your camera to do and what you can do with it, if that makes sense......

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Q Acoustics Q3030i, Humax Aura, Roku Streambar & WandaVision Reviews and more...
Top Bottom