Nikon 300mm F4 Lens

datmjd

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi

Im just after some info about this lens if anyone has any experience with it:

Nikon 300mm f4 D AF-S IF ED Lens (JAA334DA) - Wex Photographic

Does it work well as a portrait lens, as well as something for out and about use? or is fairly limited to bird watching and far away objects?

I have a 18-270mm Tamron which works well, but after a few recent outings im starting to notice its problems more such as its lower performance indoor.

Any comparison images of near to far would be very helpful!

Thanks!

It's a prime lens, there is no zoom, if your subject is miles away it'll be fine. Big step up form an 18-270 but your be better off with other lenses for that money.

definitely not a portrait lens :)

If you asre using it on a crop sensor camera typical portrait lenses ate 50, 85 and 100mm, on a full frame 85, 100. 135mm.

300mm is very long for a portrait lens - head shot covering say 500mm high, you will need to be 6.5m from the subject with full frame 24mm sensor and 9.5m with an APSC crop 16mm sensor - Lens focal length calculator

300mm is probably the minimum disctance for bird shots, typically 400-600mm is the norm, alternatevly add a 1.4x extender but this will drop than max aperture to f5.6 (I think) but give you 420mm equivalent.

Hope this helps.

Personally for that and your intended use the f4 is to short and to slow (for a tc). You need to do some more research as you're going to be spending a lot of money. You haven't even told us if you shoot crop or FF yet. I'm guessing a cropper. In which case I'd go used 70-200 2.8 vr1 and 1.4tc, you're trying to do a lot with a single lens.

Edit d3200 judging by your exif, these lenses will be very big and heavy and IMO not suitable for such a small camera.

Last edited:
I put a grip on my D5100 when I use it with my Tamron SP 70-300 which is 800g, very nice combo. The 70-200mmF4 is obviously alot better and a little lighter.

So a 70-300 VC is 765g, 70-200 f4 is 850g, its actually heavier. Read the ops requirements, birding with 200mm, no chance. But yes, it's a better lens.

i currently have a d3200 which will become a backup in couple of months time when i grab a 7100, still a crop sensor though.

I will definitely grab the 18-105mm lens with it, just was considering lens for the higher end of the scale. something that works quickly, and well in indoor and out.

any options?

Skip the kit lens, get body only with tamron 17-50 or Nikon 17-55 and a 70-200 2.8 with 1.4 tc.

You were looking at a £1050 300mm F4 though, the 70-200 VR1 is 900 used and a used 17-50 is 200 so pretty much on the money.

So a 70-300 VC is 765g, 70-200 f4 is 850g, its actually heavier. Read the ops requirements, birding with 200mm, no chance. But yes, it's a better lens.

Perhaps you need to read his post properly, he was asking if the 300mm is just limited to things like birding, not that he wants a lens for specifically birding, he then asked about basically for a high quality zoom the 70-200mmF4 is that. Yes i wa wrong the F4 is 2.3oz heavier.

Perhaps you need to read his post properly, he was asking if the 300mm is just limited to things like birding, not that he wants a lens for specifically birding, he then asked about basically for a high quality zoom the 70-200mmF4 is that. Yes i wa wrong the F4 is 2.3oz heavier.

:blush:

Cheers for all the replies guys! Since you've recommended the 70-200mm, I've managed to find someone selling a used vr 2 edition with a d800 for £1500. I know it sounds too good, but I'm investigating it further since its from a friend of a friend.

Would you recommend this option over the d7100? I know it's a full frame camera so that's a win straight off.

Cheers for all the replies guys! Since you've recommended the 70-200mm, I've managed to find someone selling a used vr 2 edition with a d800 for £1500. I know it sounds too good, but I'm investigating it further since its from a friend of a friend.

Would you recommend this option over the d7100? I know it's a full frame camera so that's a win straight off.

That screams scam to me - I would investigate further before considering it at all as that's far below their market value. A new D800 and 70-200mm VR2 will set you back over £3,500 so £1,500 is around half what they're worth and both are currently highly desirable.

John

D800 is a superb camera that due to its high 36mp it's DX mode at 16mp is very usable and is kinda like having two cams in one, i.e a 50mm goes from a walk-around lens to a portrait lens in a flick of a switch.

That screams scam to me - I would investigate further before considering it at all as that's far below their market value. A new D800 and 70-200mm VR2 will set you back over £3,500 so £1,500 is around half what they're worth and both are currently highly desirable.

John

Seriously, what this gent says. You'll be looking at 1.5 body and 800 lens and that's used and a huge discount.

I know this thread is a bit old now, but I just wanted to say thank you to everyone who provided their input! I grabbed a 70-200mm f2.8, as well as a 17-55mm f2.8.

So far I havent had a chance to play about with them properly but i did take some shots of the moon. I just need the 7100, and a teleconverter now!

Here is a link to a three of the moons put together:

3 Moons by WhoIsDhillon, on Flickr

Excellent choice of lenses. Congrats.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom