• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Nikon 18-105mm auto focus question

DaveM

I've recently purchased a D90 and kit lens. When using the lens there is no movement of the main barrel only some internal focus. Should the lens move in/out on auto or is it normal to first adjust manually. I have a tamron 70-300mm and that moves the full barrel to find the focus point..

Sorry for the way I've put it but I'm unsure how to describe in technical terms.

DaveM

Hi,

Whats the difference between the two lenses, my cheap tamron moves automatically extends the barrel to find the focus point, my newer and more expensive 18-105mm nikon requires me to manually adjust then fine tunes the focus internally. Thought it would be other way around.

There is also a visible shadow on the left side of the lens ( quarter moon) when pressing the auto focus button down, sure its coming from the small pre-light for a second or two.
Any thoughts

The latest video from AVForums

Guardians of the Galaxy Xmas Special, Strange World, Bones and All, and Cabinet of Dr Caligari in 4K
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom