Nikon 1

bluevortex

Prominent Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

Just looking for some opinions on the new Nikon 1? The reason I ask, I bought a D90 at the end of 2009 but since my wee boy came along shortly after I just haven't had the time to devote to learning how to properly utilise this camera, when I do get round to using its on preset mode mainly because It's so long between uses. My wife finds it a heavy lump (so doesn't really bother) and I am certainly missing some great moments out on weekends as i rarely take it.

So, I'm thinking something smaller, more portable and user friendly might serve me better this time in my life. I was considering a simple compact for everyday use but just noticed the Nikon 1 system that looks really impressive and the 1080p video etc would be great now I have a young family to capture them moments

Would I be crazy to ditch the D90 system? I know it's by far a superior system but to be honest if I got decent photos from the Nikon 1 - I'd be happy. Im not looking to become a professional photographer, just want good quality family shots to look back on, that would be great. I seem to be the target market for this reading the advertising blurb.

Blue

I am in a similar position to you, (see me earlier post) although I love my D90 I too am looking for something more pocket-able, in my case for carrying with me on a motorcycle. Having just started looking I am in no position to advise, but I am looking at the Panasonic GF2 or DMC-GF3 as they are keenly priced, there again I would like to know if the Nikon 1 can use my other Nikon lenses, that would make it a far more attractive option.

I will follow your thread with interest.

Well as a present user of a Nikon D300s that I use most weekends for football and promo work.........I to recently purchased a more compact system to walk about with - and no big bag of gear to carry. I am keeping the D300s But!!

I opted for the Olympus E-PL1 and 14-42 kit lens. I purchased at Amazon and am really happy with the results, especially the indoor shots of our new 1st grandson. The Oly E-pl1 is a cracking little unit and because it has a four thirds sensor, similar to the DSLR but just a tad smaller, but as small as a conventional compact, the shots are really good, crisp and pin sharp. You also have HD video.

The other thing I like is the option of using the FULL manual control like a DSLR if you want to.

This link gives a list of reviews on youtube if needed to give an idea of the camera and the setting, the look and I will put link in for price too.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Olympus--PL...3?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1323294761&sr=1-3

Prices do fluctuate but the camera is a brilliant buy I say and there are a few colour combinations (I got the Silver and Champagne Combo - Looks cool) and well worth the money.

Add to that a proper BIG battery and you have loads of shots and video. I purchased a 2nd non Olympus battery and that does me. :laugh:

Hope this helps a little in your choice or options.

icemanonline

Last edited:
— As an Amazon Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases —
Thanks for your advice, I will have a look at the Oly as well, but I do like the look of the GF2 two lens kit.

Went into Jessops today to have a look at the Olympus and the Nikon. I've been a bit put off tbh, no viewfinder could be a issue for me on both accounts. The sense i get with the Nikon 1 feels very much style over substance.

I've been used to SLR but these cameras feel more compact than SLR, not that I'm adverse to that, just worried I might regret selling the D90. The problem when buying any camera, you read the reviews, technical specs etc but until you get your hands on and play around with it for a few days it's hard to know how good it really is? At least with an SLR you have confidence it's got capability to produce great looking pics. I don't have same confidence with these models. I'm guessing they must have a good pic quality for £500-£900 price tag but it's a hefty price tag with uncertainty.

Starting to think a compact might be the better option and keep my D90. Not sure.

Blue

Went into Jessops today to have a look at the Olympus and the Nikon. I've been a bit put off tbh, no viewfinder could be a issue for me on both accounts. The sense i get with the Nikon 1 feels very much style over substance.

I've been used to SLR but these cameras feel more compact than SLR, not that I'm adverse to that, just worried I might regret selling the D90. The problem when buying any camera, you read the reviews, technical specs etc but until you get your hands on and play around with it for a few days it's hard to know how good it really is? At least with an SLR you have confidence it's got capability to produce great looking pics. I don't have same confidence with these models. I'm guessing they must have a good pic quality for £500-£900 price tag but it's a hefty price tag with uncertainty.

Starting to think a compact might be the better option and keep my D90. Not sure.

Blue

I use the Nikon D300s and I tell you know, if you get a comapct I bet you regret it mate. I have the Oly and the Nik D300s and a happy bunny. The Oly is fine without the "no viewfinder!" and you will get used to it. The quality of shots are mint.

Honest man...............check this guy out starting with this review Part1 n goes right upto Part 5 plus a review on the HD Video :D

I hope it helps.........

icemanonline

Last edited:
Iceman - have you used the newer ELP2 or 3? I must admit this Olympus range does get cracking reviews online.

Iceman - have you used the newer ELP2 or 3? I must admit this Olympus range does get cracking reviews online.

Had a look at the others but I chose the E-PL1 because it has the inbuilt flash too........Can really recommend it 100% - And although I have a Nikon DSLR I would not pay the money they ask for the new Nikon 1, I think they are over priced. IMHO

icemanonline

Last edited:
I thought Nikon did a version of the 1 with viewfinder??

That video made is actually quite impressive. Worked well I think.

Last edited by a moderator:
The V1 has an EVF the J1 does not.

I'm seriously considering the Olympus range after iceman's comments and some research this w/e. Lots of positive comments over on DP review about the EPL3 and EP3 - I'm guessing both would be more than adequate for my needs. However, the problem now... deciding between the two. How much you would value an adjustable screen (EPL3) vs fixed (EP3), built in-flash - is it essential, design/ergonomics or touch screen fast focussing of the EP3. The lack of built in flash on the EPL3 could be an issue...

Will continue reading a bit more and hopefully get back to Jessops' to handle them both this week.

Blue

I thought Nikon did a version of the 1 with viewfinder??

That video made is actually quite impressive. Worked well I think.

The more expensive V1 has a very good viewfinder, according to reviews.

A double kit lens now for the V1 is around £765 at the very cheapest for a UK model. J1 around £575.

So your extra £200 gets you,

More RAM, so more buffer space=more shots at high frame rates
A very good EVF
Dust vibration removal system for the sensor
Much higher resolution LCD screen compared to J1
A mechanical as well as an electronic shutter (J1 just has electronic)
Accessory shoe/port for seperate flash and other 'stuff' (J1 does have its own built in pop up flash)

All in all the V1 is expensive new tech but the extra £200 (relative to the J1) is certainly justified, the quality EVF, if bought as an add on would probably be around £200 alone.

I am not keen on the prospect of being an early adopter (if I get one) because within 18 months different bodies will be out, but I really like the concept here.

Nikon are doing something for a niche market, just like Pentax has with the Q Camera. The market is going to grow (I think) and sensor technology is getting much better. The Nikon is now successfully competing on the IQ front with cameras using larger - but older - sensors. The Q system camera is another surprising bit of kit. Its compact size sensor seems to be giving the best compact size sensor IQ currently available (again my disclaimer - it's from what I have read from those who use it).

Pete:thumbsup:

Last edited:
Yeah - maybe - it's the initial £400 that seems stupid to me ;)

Well.... it's an expensive hobby if you're a gadget boy like me:p Plus.... I think when the non kit lenses are produced heads will be turned even more. A great little system... but a bit too darn expensive at the mo'.... unless it's Xmas of course:D

Well.... it's an expensive hobby if you're a gadget boy like me:p Plus.... I think when the non kit lenses are produced heads will be turned even more. A great little system... but a bit too darn expensive at the mo'.... unless it's Xmas of course:D

Pah! - just think what it could have been with a full APS-C sensor :lesson:

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom