Nikkai dish motor won't move

Discussion in 'Satellite TV, Sky TV & FreeSat' started by UX50, Jan 6, 2012.

1. UX50

UX50
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Please can someone advise some tests I can carry out to test if my motor has failed.

I recently returned from a 2 week holiday (before the windy weather !) and found my dish turned right round as far East as it can go, much further than it's supposed to. In fact, the dish itself is touching the wall of my house and the motor won't budge !

I can't get the dish to move via the satellite receiver box, and the manual East/West buttons on the motor don't do anything either. There's a faint click if I press West, but no movement. The motor LED is green with the receiver powered on, and turns red when I instruct it to move, via the reciever or manual buttons, but nothing actually happens. I've tried forcing the motor by hand at the same time as instructing it to move, but it won't budge.

I've placed the motor indoors and connected a new cable to it direct from the receiver, and even done a factory reset on the receiver, but still nothing.

Is there a simple test I can do with a volt meter to determine if the receiver is sending out the required voltage or current to drive the motor ? I've heard about people powering the motor manually using an external 12 volt source.

I've not yet removed the motor cover as it's only 18 months old and still might be under warranty. The problem is, it's from Maplins (part number A16FB made by 'Nikkai'). Maplins say they only offer 12 month warranties, but Fortec Star who apparently used the name Nikkai back then, may offer a 2 year warranty. But I'm unable to contact anyone at Fortec Star. Does anyone on this forum know if this motor has a 2 year warranty, or have a phone number for 'Nikkai' support ? If it's not under warranty, I can at least take the lid off and have a look inside (it's currently sealed with 'warranty void if removed' stickers).

Last edited: Jan 6, 2012
  2. logiciel

logiciel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,718
    I'd rely on customer protection legislation over any "warranty".

3. UX50

UX50
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I don't think Maplin are doing anything wrong here.

If it turns out that there is still warranty with Fortec Star, I'll try and get Maplins to handle the returns process. The problem is currently, trying to determine whether or not the motor is still under warranty.

4. logiciel

logiciel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,718
    Customer legislation places responsibility on the supplier, in this case Maplin, and matters more than "warranties".

5. UX50

UX50
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    But the item is over 12 months old. Maplins are just saying there's a possibility that Nikkai/Fortec Star might offer more.

I still need to carry out further tests anyhow, as I might just get it working again.

6. logiciel

logiciel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,718
    Customer legislation gives various degrees of protection for much longer than one year.

7. winston2010

winston2010

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +166
  8. pedro2000uk

pedro2000uk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,063
    The Nikkai motor sold at Maplins has one of the worst reputations only put into 2nd place by the original Navigator motor- just google the name you'll find lots of bad info about that thing.

We were after a supply of Italian Stab HH90 motors ... I ordered what was advertised as a STAB HH90 [that's what the picture is of on the Nikkai box- a STAB HH90???] off Maplins website - the HH90 was one of THE best satellite motors & Maplins used to sell them with the Forstec Star badge on them [about the only decent sat product they've sold*... & got one of those things supplied instead - in a box still with the hh90 picture on the box??

I tested it it anyway before shipping it back, I can't believe they can advertise a motor with pictures on ads & the boxes of one the best motors & supply one of the worst in the box- it couldn't even manage USALS unless it could only work with Fortec Star receivers[joke].

That should have been the best thing you could have done ...to have returned it straight away....

The STAB motors have a strong spring between the main drive & stub [after the gearbox & motor]- when it gets strong winds, the spring takes most of the wind & also saves the dish & brackets from a % of further damage ... that mechanism also keeps the satellite positioning very accurately in the middle & even if the stab motor gets worn or damaged after years of use or storm damage - they can still usually drive to each satellite & position in the middle. The Darkmotor has a mechanism that does similar but also has an electronic self tightening mechanism.

I doubt if there is anything clever inside the Nikkai motor...

As for the recent winds -

We have had one of the longest periods of repeated strong winds for decades & not just the 105mph peak speeds we've just had & that excludes funneling that can amplify wind speeds & power in isolated locations... there have been deaths in the UK & property damage & damage to power lines this week.

Most 'quality' dishes [Triax / Gibertini] are rated up to 60mph good functionality & between 60-100mph survival & only the likes of Channel Master & Prodelin resin dishes & the commercial dishes [not cheap] are rated to 125 mph survival but still usually use the 60mph good functionality measure .... that is that strong satellites are unaffected up to 60mph winds & between 60-100mph you can get pushed off a satellite for a few seconds but they will bounce back & not sustain damage.

A good install should do the same - that is keep the dish & motor rigid up to 60mph & then allow give on the pole between 60-100mph & above - taking some load off the dish & motor & allow more 'give' in really exposed areas plus I've beefed up quite a few poor dishes [ISS/ Fortec Star etc..].

Last edited: Jan 7, 2012
  9. jim345

jim345

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +79
    How can the supplier reasonably be held responsible for storm damage? Home insurance might cough up, but the replacement cost will likely be below the excess. In any case, it could take weeks to sort out and you'd still need to buy a replacement.
    £50 will get you a new one, delivered next day.
    Motorised Satellite Equipment | CPC | Results
    Add a Sat meter to take the cost over £45 and get free postage!
    Don't forget to set the limits. I have the Icecrypt and couldn't get the cover off (bolts too tight) to set the hardware limiters, but it may be worth the effort in your case.
    Maybe also worth thinking about a cranked mast to keep the dish clear of the wall.

10. logiciel

logiciel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,718
    Has the storm damaged the motor?:confused:

11. pedro2000uk

pedro2000uk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,063
    We deal with Farnel / CPC for 'some' electronics but not for sat gear - they stock a lot of the same stuff as Maplits do.. [well- I don't know about the Icecrypt motor- I've seen them advertised - never tested one, they look like a badged Moteck & we dropped them a bit back but Motecks should have improved with all the competition from Darkmotors etc..

12. pedro2000uk

pedro2000uk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,063
    I think most people would be surprised one of those lasted that long:D.

Testing gear & knowing what gear to use & what 'not' is a big [BIG] part of this game - that & dealing with the manufacturers/ suppliers you do use that you get consistent, decent gear.. & a few 100 other things.

I would like 2 year guarantees legislation implemented or even the German 5 year guarantees... to try to reverse this insane, unchecked trend to design 'stuff' so you'll buy it & spend as much in research to make it last 12 months & 1 day..

Last edited: Jan 7, 2012
  13. logiciel

logiciel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,718
    Fair enough on that point about its reputation, but we DO have customer protection legislation that's not limited to a specific time, and if the problem is NOT due to damage, then the supplier has that responsibility.