Nikita

Shoka

Prominent Member
Reaction score
Just need a bit of help regarding the above film.

firstly is this La femme nikita?

Its just come out on R2 so dont know wether to go for that or would the R1 release be a better option.

Anyone got any ideas/views?

Anyone seen it? I'm purley buying it on impulse and through recomendations from mates.

opinions please.

There's a new R1 special edition in the works from MGM should be out in June. I'm waiting for that myself.:smashin:

The UK version will be in the bargain bins in no time, and comes with the original 2.0 surround audio, but if you want a 5.1 remix and extras you're better off buying elsewhere. The upcoming R1 SE specs look nice

It's on Film Four this weekend & Film Four is free this weekend :smoke: (if you have sky or cable)

Got NTL digi, last time film four was free we didnt get it :(

The original "Nikita" (known in the US as "La Femme Nikita") was a french film made by Luc Besson in (er...) 1990, I think.

Besson subsequently went on to make "Leon" :smashin: and "The Fifth Element" :thumbsdow and "Joan Of Arc" :boring:

"Nikita" is actually rather good, especially if you like Anne Parillaud. Splendid supporting appearance from Jeanne Moreau.

A couple of years later (1993?) they made a Hollywood version (in English) called "The Assassin" with Bridget Fonda. This shadows the original very closely, shot-for-shot sometimes, but nonetheless somehow isn't anything like as good. Sterling support from Gabriel Byrne and Anne Bancroft, though.

A few years later again (1997?) they started a TV series inspired by the plot of the films which is generally referred to as "La Femme Nikita".

I first saw Assasin (and subsequently purchased the DVD). After much searching I managed to get hold of the R1 MGM but I've not had chance to watch it yet.

I liked assasin, but the TV series was utter pants

I'll be waiting for the R1, like Kev, as I try and boycott PAL MGM DVDs as much as possible.

CAUTION: Spoilers follow.

The problem with the Bridget Fonda version, I think, is that she just isn't nearly unpleasant enough at the beginning of the story. In the original French version Nikita herself is clearly a profoundly unpleasant person. You don't feel particularly bad about it when she is sentence to death. During the training process they work hard to turn her from a crude, undisciplined, violent criminal into a refined, sophisticated woman. The beautiful irony is that the process actually succeeds too well: by the end of the film taste of refinement and gentleness thatshe has had is enough that she no longer has the stomach for violence, and the actions of "the cleaner" reduce her to tears.

The american version (unsurprisingly for Hollywood) loses track of this subtext entirely and tries to make it into a simple thriller. Not nearly as effective.

Guess I'm going to have to watch mt R1 disc then sooner rather than later. I'll try to rewatch the assasin before hand

I liked the series but can't actually explain why?
Weird, isn't it?

Hi,

just to clarify a couple of inaccuracies:

1) The film's original French title was "La Femme Nikita". In the US, and on some prints used for TV and DVD outlets, you do get just the on-screen title of "Nikita" though. It was made in 1990, and "Leon" (or "The Professional") is a kind of quasi-sequel. If you watch "La Femme Nikita", then "Leon", it makes a truly superb double-bill. Watch out for all the subtle links between the two films, that director Luc Besson has put in, for those willing to really study both films closely! :D

2) The US remake was called "The Assassin", but in the UK was retitled as "Point Of No Return". Either way, it's shockingly awful!

Pooch

The US title was Point of no Return and the UK title was The Assassin but wotever the title the only redeeming feature was Bridget in her undies, i much prefer La Femme Nikita and can't wait to buy the new region 1 special edition out in a few months :)

I love the series!
It may have something to do with the star of the show....;)

I noticed its back on $ky one 11pm ish I think Tueday it was.

Or perhaps it never left

The American version Assassin is on this week on Five this Sunday the 20th at 21:00.

Nikita's good ... but the translation on the subtitles is dire ... I posted about this a while ago.

Ive got the standard R1 release so when I get roiund to watching it I'll keep that in mind.

I just started watching my recording from the Film 4 free weekend last night. So far it looks like the usual good Luc Besson stuff, but what's with the sub-titles? We lose about a quarter of the screen at the botton!

Is the presentation on the various DVDs better?

--
Steve

I think you'll find the whole 2.35 image rather than being displayed centrally in frame has been pushed to the top of the frame: leaving effectively two black bars worth of padding at the botom to put the subtitles into.

If thats the way it was shown its preferable to having the subtitles burnt into the image in my opinion.

Keith,

That didn't occur to me, but it did look as though something was missing at the bottom in some shots. It definitely looked weird.

I noticed that Film 4 do show some films in their proper ratio e.g. The Straight Story. They have some good films, but I don't have the time to watch them generally. I just taped Nikita and Battle Royale on the free weekend.

There was a story in the Radio Times saying that Film 4 are dropping the Extreme and World (?) channels to replace them with one channel that just repeats a few mainstream films all week. That would devalue the package for me.

--
Steve
www.bagofspoons.net

Watched this last night. I thought it was reasonable but not as good as everyone made out. The acting was strong but I found the plot a little hard to believe. I'm glad I borrowed rather than bought it.

Leon on the other hand is probably my favourite film ever.

For those who do love it you can get the SE from DVD Soon for about £11.

Hi,

The subtitles for "Nikita" are dire, regardless of whether you watch the old VHs version, the C4/Film Four version, or the DVD release. Most subtitles are actually dub-titles: that is, taken from the US English dubbed translation, which means that all the subs are really bad!

Shame a definitive version isn't released!

Pooch

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom