Nikamichi bargain, advice please

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by martian1, Aug 3, 2002.

1. martian1

martian1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +678
    I was going to buy either a Marantz or Pioneer player but after visiting my local hifi dealer i may now go for a Nikamichi player.
    It looked great had gold plated terminals, component out etc and according to the guy in store could flatten either of the players i was going for. It was also in a lovely silver colour which would match my Marantz amp [sort of] the guy said they had imported them in from japan [reg3] so no scarts!. This does not bother me as my present player is region 1 import so i use Svideo already.
    The price is £350 mybe a little more, anyone got a player of this make it seems high end kit and was sold for over £600.
    The main reason i want it is can [i was told] give a stunning picture and deals with blacks on rear pro sets very well, my present player struggles in this area giving a greyish digital smearing effect at times...... Help anyone!!!!

2. russraff

russraff

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +78
    I had the Nakamichi player and took it back in preference to the Sony 7700. Basically the drive mechanism was very noisy, and the player itself was kind of cheaply made. The 10s version was better, but in reality, the Nakamichi players are re-badged Akai models. I believe that Nakamichi did improve some aspects of the player, but the performance wasn't nearly as good as the 7700.

Russell

3. martian1

martian1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +678
    Thanks for the info... looks like i am back with Pioneer & Marantz.
    What is your opinion of machines made by these? are you a big Sony fan, i am possibly going to get a Marantz dv410 ose for £250.

4. russraff

russraff

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +78
    The 4100ose form Richer sounds? Funny you should say that, as my friend at work is asking me the same question...
    Just a couple of questions of my own: What DVD player do you have, and what TV? Is CD quality an important factor, or picture quality?

No, I am not a big Sony fan. I just think that the 7700 is a fantastic player that was well ahead of its time, and still looks good today.

Anyway:
    As far as I know, the 4100 ose is a "Marantzed up" version of a Philips player (DVD750). I haven't demoed the Marantz product, but I did have, for a time, the Yamaha S510 which looks to be based on the same Philips deck (tenuous, I know, but it is the best I can do). If this is the case, the video quality was not good enough for my rear pro. set; these was a lot of video noise, magnified by the size of the TV. Moreover, the ergonomics were sluggish and awkward. Whether Marantz have upgraded the video side as well as the audio, I don't know.

If I were spending the money, and picture quality was important, then I would get the Toshiba 510, especially if you have component video inputs on your TV. If CD quality is a factor, I would put the extra into a Pioneer 646, and put up with the slightly less capable video aspect. This is what I have told my friend when we were demoing the kit.

Russell

5. martian1

martian1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +678
    I have a Hitachi 43" rear pro, its got a progressive scan feature although its not true progressive it still does a good job. Someone i know has a Tosh which looks pretty bad with R1 discs [ very liney], My set does not have this problem. I can get a grainey grey looking effect on moving black objects etc [ a person wearing a black coat for instance]. It sounds horrific but you only get this very occasionally. I would love a player that can improve this, blacks are generally very good but movement in them not so... I would rather go for a player with a stonking picture and v. good dd dts capabillity rather than excellent cd sound [ although it would be nice]. Any other ideas...

Oops! No component and i have a Pioneer R1 player [4 to 5yrs old]

6. mjn

mjn
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11,479
    Erm......the sales person does not even know his regions!!

Japan is Region2 (NTSC), not 3. 3 is asia EXCLUDING JAPAN