Nightscape over Lincoln and Lightpainting

allymac123

Prominent Member
Reaction score
It's been a while since I've made a trip purely for photography so last night seemed like a good time with the perfect weather. Hiked up a hill oppisite the cathedral as the sun was going down and then wondered around there in the pitch black to get a few photo's. It was pretty scary to be honest...but enjoyable!

4 Vertically taken shots | 52mm | 15s | F/7.1 | ISO 100

42mm | 3.2s | F/8 | ISO 100

I used my 430ex to underlight this tree thing to give it an ethereal quality. I'd be intrested as to whether you like it or not etc.

28mm | 30s | F/8 | ISO 100

31mm | 30s | F/8 | ISO 100

To be honest, I had no idea how much I'd use and come to love my flash when I bought it. I seemed to have used it in so many situations now (although very few/if any have been on the hot shoe pointed straight at subject!). Well worth the investment and not even comparable to the on camera flash.

Just noiced the compression has caused some horrible effects with the dark colours in the picture's. These aren't present in the uncompressed images or the one's on flickr (hotlinked).

The first one is my fave. Could easily be a postcard :)

The flash on 3 and 4 makes the tree look like it's been super-imposed afterwards.

I like your style, but I kind of agree with Bursar - I don't get the tree. You've lit it very harshly - it's burning out at the fringes, and that's in stark contrast to lovely soft lighting behind. It also gets in the way of the lovely view!

You're definately right about wireless flash though, totally redefines flash lighting. But how can you survive with only 1? I'm up to 5 now... :p

#1 is brill. Excellent shot(s). The others - I'm a bit confused if the tree is the subject or the cityscape behind it. It's like you've got two subjects but cant decide which one you want.

1st shot is very nice, also like the 2nd when viewed through flickr as it hasn't got the black colours on the trees like it has on the compressed version

Seems to be a general agreement that the last two don't really work. I do to tend to agree with you about the fighting for attention thing. Maybe if I'd managed to exclude the orange lights and just had the tree with the sky colours it would have worked better.

The panorama's my favourite too though so glad we're all in agreement!

Looks like from they are from south common, canwick rd area. Note the floodlights over sincil bank. Good piccie's mate.

Yeah taken from the edge of the farmer's field next to the path that runs along the top of the common on Canwick Hill. I saw that it was a relatively nice view from there when I was walking there during the day so always wanted to go back there at dusk and grap a panorama.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom