1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Nightmare problem!

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by General Skanky, Apr 28, 2002.

1. General Skanky

General Skanky

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +44
    The motorised volume on my Yamaha A2 has stopped working! I actually have to move and turn the volume up and down by hand.:( Hell on Earth.:rolleyes:

What to do? I suppose I could sort out a new motor. But could I use this as an opportunity to go for a new amp? That would be brave as she'd kill me.

Plenty of AX1's about for £900 or so. The shiny new AZ1 at £2000! Ooooooh. Or, a good Rotel combo for £1500.

But I'd say I'll stick in the Yamaha camp as I like my 'Wall Of Sound' with the front effects speakers. I'm not too bothered about having loads of speakers behind me. I'd go for the rear centre to get DD EX etc, but not the two sets of rears as per Denon. My AV rig is for AV. I do HiFi in another room. PL II seems a good thing, bu I'm fairly happy with my surround sound in plain old PL.

So unless someone can flog me a Yamaha for £10, what would you do?:)

2. Dubbing Mixer

Dubbing Mixer
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Fix it, dear General, fix it. You'll have to anyway if you want to flog it.

Meanwhile, if you're happy with Yammy, then it depends on whether you must have the 'latest and greatest' or whether (like me) you're more interested in what it sounds like. If the latter, then the 'run out' AX1's look good if you don't have anything at the moment, but if you can wait, the shiny new AZ1 will be down to the same price in a year or less.

Thnaks for all the entertaining and helpful posts

Rob

3. Reiner

Reiner

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    Ask the dealer what it costs to fix or if he would take it as a trade-in (with fault, but he can repair cheaper for himself than for you) when you purchase a new amp at his shop.

4. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    Can't you get your wife to switch the volume up and down for you. Most women seem to be on a permanent diet so the excercise should do them good
    ;) ;)

5. General Skanky

General Skanky

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +44
    :D

Fixing it is the easy part to be honest. I'm just very lazy.
    I think the motor either has a mild dry joint that plays up once the amp warms up a touch, or as seems more likely, it seems to stick. I've wiggled it a lot to free up the mechanism. That has cured it for now. I have all the soldering kit and contact cleaner etc etc, but what a struggle it is to get it out, pop the lid, get in there and do it.:rolleyes:

But the 'Emercency Remote Control' seems a good option. She just gets fed up when she has to do it more than 20 times a night.:D