Nightmare On Elm Street (2010)

raigraphixs

Distinguished Member
Good news, but what will they do, Freddy; The Beginning, a 10yr old Freddy?, hope not. Reading this article, alot of remakes once again planned.

Platinum Dunes partners Michael Bay, Brad Fuller and Andrew Form have been set by New Line to re-launch Freddy Krueger, the iconic psycho who haunts the subconscious dreams of teenagers and kills them in their sleep.

The trio will create a new franchise based on "A Nightmare on Elm Street," the 1984 Wes Craven film.

Originally played by Robert Englund, Krueger haunted nine films and two TV series, and was New Line's most lucrative franchise until "The Lord of the Rings."

The deal comes as Bay, Fuller and Form ready for an April start for "Friday the 13th," a New Line re-launch of another iconic baddie, Jason Voorhees. Marcus Nispel will direct a script by Damian Shannon and Mark Swift ("Freddy Vs. Jason").

Both franchises will be given a complete overhaul, something that Platinum Dunes provided in the Nispel-directed "The Texas Chainsaw Massacre." New Line won't hire a writer on "Nightmare" until the writer's strike ends.

Platinum Dunes is busy. At Rogue Pictures, the producers are prepping an untitled David Goyer-directed exorcism thriller which has "Cloverfield" star Odette Yustman set to star, and a "Near Dark" remake :thumbsdow that will be directed by Samuel Bayer. Bay, Fuller and Form are also developing a Universal remake of Alfred Hitchcock's "The Birds," with Martin Campbell directing Naomi Watts.

smashie

Novice Member
?me slaps head!!! Imho it is just this sort of thiing that is driving real film lovers away from cinemas in droves, what i want to see personally is a real drive towards creating some great cinema from original ips' anyone remember freddy vs jason? what a crock!!

Good news, but what will they do, Freddy; The Beginning, a 10yr old Freddy?, hope not. Reading this article, alot of remakes once again planned.
I don't think they ever covered the story where the parents get together, and kill freddy, which is mentioned in part 1.

crimsoneagle

Yawns .....

Why why why . . . .
cash cash cash . . . .
Im sorry as long as ther fans that are prepared to pay admission for these kind of remixes they will keep coming. . . .
Its just sad that a great many other films never get made . . . .
The original nightmare was great!!
it was originalish at the time. . .
I wont be wasting any of my life on these kind of films

darklight

Yawns .....

Why why why . . . .
cash cash cash . . . .
Im sorry as long as ther fans that are prepared to pay admission for these kind of remixes they will keep coming. . . .
So true!:suicide:

raigraphixs

Distinguished Member
I quite liked the 2 modern Texas Chainsaw movies, so though love the original freddy films, yeah all of em, i would love at the chance to bring the character back, its been about 13 yrs since the last nightmare film, not sure if Robert E will be doning the hat and glove though. Not sure if another actor for freddy, and nancy would be as fun.

DVD-Man

Agree with the TCM remakes, pretty damn decent if you ask me, guess we can only wait and see.

Liam

eL-ZilCHo!

Novice Member
hmmm I do like the Nightmare films.... all of them. They do get a bit ridiculous nearer the end though.

I hope they cut out the comedy, in fact, if they are going to bother doing them. They could start again and make them pretty brutal/ harrowing. He was a child molester/ murderer, a subject not normally known for it's comedy.

I'd like to see them tackle the back story. Have a film before Freddy becomes supernatural. Just concentrate on his crimes whilst alive, and his metamorphosis (sp?) into the character everyone knows. Could be quite interesting if handled corrrectly.

Undoubtedly they'll just have a bobbins plot focussing on load of 2D 'uber-pretty' teens being carved up with gallons of CGI blood sloshing around the place..... Ever the cynic eh?

Why are they bothering with Near Dark again? It has one of the most ridiculous plot devices I've ever seen! I won't mention it for those that haven't seen it. But, please.....

Friday the 13th with a script by the people who wrote Freddy Vs Jason? Oh dear... my original cynical musings on the Nightmare remake/start/imaging (whatever) are probably closer to the truth than I thought...

Remakes eh? Don't you just love 'em!! :rolleyes: Lets hope they are more Texas Chainsaw Massacre :smashin: than The Wicker Man :thumbsdow

raigraphixs

Distinguished Member
They did cover the befor he died thing in one of the freddies nightmares spinoffs but a proper prequal type film would certently be welcome as long as englund takes the lead role.

As for a full remake/retelling of the story i personaly think its a terribal idea.

full orig story remakes are geared for a new audience who have not seen originals, yep all those young yobs that roam our streets. :D

jay mc

Novice Member
full orig story remakes are geared for a new audience who have not seen originals, yep all those young yobs that roam our streets. :D
Like they need any more encouragement to carry more then one blade, be nice instead of poor remakes these studios could come up with some new ideas.

Or failing that give us a new box set of the hole film franchise plus the freddies nightmares spin offs with killer extras and keep freedy alive that way.

brian s

Distinguished Member
The first one was incredible, the second a pile of pooh. Of the others I've seen I'd say ok. No further films or remakes please.:boring:

Cheers
Bri

BAN5HEE

Well if it's going to be as good as Rob Zombies Halloween I wouldn't mind seeing Freddy again.

Lead roles for Freddy.. my choices....

Robin Williams.. has a comic humour, but also good at dark parts like 24 hours, and has the right grin.

Michael Keaton.. similar

Andrew Divoff.. The Wishmaster

the_pauley

Banned
Yawns .....

Why why why . . . .
cash cash cash . . . .
Ditto!

brian s

Distinguished Member
Lead roles for Freddy.. my choices....

Robin Williams.. has a comic humour, but also good at dark parts like 24 hours, and has the right grin.

Michael Keaton.. similar

Andrew Divoff.. The Wishmaster
I don't know anything about Divoff but Williams or Keaton as Freddy? You must be joking! They'd tear you apart for that suggestion.:devil:

All the best
Bri

raigraphixs

Distinguished Member
Unless the studios have a change of heart from fan pressure, its no Elm Street for Englund, but its early news so could change, at least give him a big cameo.

Platinum Dunes and New Line rocked the horror world last week when the production entities announced they were working together to overhaul the "Nightmare on Elm Street" brand . A number of industry sources recently phoned in to shed some light on the early discussions going on behind-the-scenes regarding "Nightmare"...and none of them include Englund starring as Krueger.

The franchise facelift includes discovering a new actor to polish up the finger knives and play the iconographic dream role Englund has practically made his second skin since '84.

Disheartening news for the fans, maybe, but rumor has it Michael Bay's Platinum Dunes is taking "Nightmare" back to square one...as in fresh start, hitting the reset button, making it their own (think "Texas Chainsaw Massacre" '03 and Friday the 13th '09). Because of this decision, they'd like to find another actor to carry the new Krueger into future films.

Marc

i'd like to see a reimagining of the story with Freddy not being supernatural at all.. perhaps he gets caught and set on fire as per the original backstory, but only left for dead, and he survives and the scarred version we all know love returns 20 years later to exact revenge on the next generation of children..

also if we see a remake of f13, will it still be Jason's mother who does the killing?

also just feel i need to mention that i like most of the remakes so far.. texas chainsaw massacre 8/10, "the beginning" 6/10, hills have eyes 7/10, hills have eyes 2, 8/10 (purely for ott gore factor), halloween 7/10 (great apart from the laurie strode casting and the end of the movie)

i'd like to see a reimagining of the story with Freddy not being supernatural at all.. perhaps he gets caught and set on fire as per the original backstory, but only left for dead, and he survives and the scarred version we all know love returns 20 years later to exact revenge on the next generation of children..

also if we see a remake of f13, will it still be Jason's mother who does the killing?

also just feel i need to mention that i like most of the remakes so far.. texas chainsaw massacre 8/10, "the beginning" 6/10, hills have eyes 7/10, hills have eyes 2, 8/10 (purely for ott gore factor), halloween 7/10 (great apart from the laurie strode casting and the end of the movie)
The first movie he could be human with no powers, but the sequel would have to be a Dream Killer.

Marc

The first movie he could be human with no powers, but the sequel would have to be a Dream Killer.
i don't know, i think i'd prefer if they only have the one new movie, and when he inevitably gets offed at the end, allude to him becoming the dream master at that point so they haven't insulted the original series.. i mean it would be nice to know why it happened, i don't think many serial killers come back as dream masters :D

but i suppose they could go down the batman begins route of starting fresh with no ties to the previous series

nwgarratt

This is a bad idea. The Freddy films are among my favourite films and Robert is the only Freddy. I want to see a Freddy v Jason 2 rather than this however, it doesn't seem to be happening atm.

brian s

Distinguished Member
Posted on Friday 12 December 2008
New Nightmare on Elm Street starts shooting in spring

Platinum Dunes have confirmed that the reboot of the Nightmare on Elm Street franchise will begin filming in spring 2009 in the Chicago suburbs.

The new film will follow the lead of Platinum Dunes' reimagining of the Friday the 13th saga, taking a more serious approach to the material.

"It's not Freddy cracking jokes," producer Brad Fuller told shocktilyoudrop.com. "We want to make a horrifying movie. The concept is so scary: don't fall asleep or you'll die. This guy gets you when you're most vulnerable, in your sleep."

Although the movie will structurally resemble Wes Craven's original 1984 film, Fuller notes that "in terms of kills and dreams we'll borrow from the entire series."

A new actor will be cast as Freddy Krueger, but the producers said that they hoped original star Robert Englund would be back "for a part in the film."