Nightmare Desktop troubles...

ChrisLledrod

Standard Member
Reaction score
Where do i start.....

Last week, my pc (Windows 7 Home Premium) gave me the blue screen. It didn't want to start. System restore didn't work. Repair either. I reinstalled windows. Worked fine for a day.

Next day, back to boot troubles. restarted it few times and played around with bios settings and it started up again. Fine for a day or so.

I had enough when it stopped working again. Bought a second hand tower on ebay. Pretty much the same pc, but with different hardware, which doesn't make sense but everything was compatible with both motherboards.

I swapped my old CPU ( quad core ) replacing the dual core. Put in my ram (4gb) replacing the 2gb. Swapped the PSU, replacing 180W with 300W. Leaving the HDD, as previous OS problems are best left behind. My previous tower had worse integrated GPU than the replacement tower, and faster USB etc.

Switched it on and it's worked a dream. All day. It's recognized everything correctly, so i thought all was good. I then put in my old HDD alongside the other HDD, connected it to SATA port 3, so that i could transfer old files. That was recognized and all seemed good. I made sure that in BIOS windows would boot from the newer C drive, not the old HDD. It worked.

After 5 hours of tinkering, correcting WIFI card problems etc, it randomly gave me bluescreen again. Different tower, same problem. Must be an old HDD problem, but what do i know. See attached image of blue screen.

So i've tried repair again. It stalled half way through. Switched off. And now when i turn the tower on the monitor doesn't even get a signal, light on tower, nothing on screen. What a headache.

Do you guys reckon it's a problem with my old harddrive? A virus maybe? Considering the OS isn't even running off that HDD, it confuses me how the system can freak out when it's essentially connected as storage only. Please help me if you have any idea.

Cheers in advance.

Chris

Attachments

• 20160116_201735.jpg
    20160116_201735.jpg
    5.3 MB · Views: 31
If it's refusing to boot then that's unlikely to be the hard drive. It should be running the BIOS before even accessing the operating system. I would suspect one of the other components you've transferred over. The memory would be the top of my list with those symptoms.

Does the PC blue screen when in Safe Mode? If not then there is a fair chance it is being caused by drivers. I would get onto the website for all devices installed and download the latest drivers and get them updated - supplied drivers on a CD are often out of date and could have issues.
I would then run memory tests and other system diagnostics to see if any hardware issues are reported.

A few suggestions on the tools to use here: http://lifehacker.com/5551188/best-computer-diagnostic-tools
I've used Hirens Boot CD many times as it contains a lot of useful diagnostics tools, as does UBCD4Win

Mark.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom