Nightly switch off for Sky box

Humph

Standard Member
Reaction score
In view of the large amount of electricity used by the Sky box in Standby (as opposed to the Humax) is there any compelling reason why the Sky box should not be switched off from the mains each night?

Software updates, Anytime updates..............

Obviously one would leave it on for planned recordings. And how often do upgrades occur? Surely no more than two or three times a year.

Obviously one would leave it on for planned recordings. And how often do upgrades occur? Surely no more than two or three times a year.

Make that two or three times a month. And Anytime downloads every night. And revise your first statement ("large amount of electricity") to reflect what is actually used - less electricity used by leaving it switched on for a month than the electricity used by leaving your fridge freezer switched on overnight. Methinks you need to get your priorities adjusted.

Last edited:
Thanks for the explanation. I thought the Sky box used virtually as much juice when in standby as when switched fully on. I believe it uses much more in standby than does the Humax Foxsat .
I wonder why so many upgrades are necessary?

Thanks for the explanation. I thought the Sky box used virtually as much juice when in standby as when switched fully on. I believe it uses much more in standby than does the Humax Foxsat .
I wonder why so many upgrades are necessary?

Traditionally as the tuner was left active to receive over the air data all the time then when in standby only the video output stage was switched off. Since then the drive status has changed to be spun down in standby and some models also turn off tuner2 again decreasing the standby power usage.
I can't give you any figures, they have never interested me enough to find out given I could probably save a significant amount if everything but the alarm clock (and you could replace that with a windup) went "dead" everynight. I also use the DVR option to record a lot of stuff overnight freeing up primetime for the rest of the family and of course I rate Anytime content very highly.

Major firmware changes tend to happen in batches, there can be months separating significant changes however EPG and other info can be sent at anytime of the day and night.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom