Nightcrawler AVForums Blu-ray Review

JayHenry

I was pleasantly surprised by this movie. I remember seeing a few previews for it and didn't really rate what I was seeing. However with a good IMDb score I thought I'd give it a go. Really enjoyed it, definitely worth a watch!

lucasisking

Distinguished Member
Very good film and JG is terrific in it. Rene Russo was great too. Not exactly what I expected but very tense especially the closing incident. I predicted
Lou would get his assistant deliberately killed and then film it
but it needed to happen.

I wish I'd seen it on BD rather than the naff 'HD' (lol) Amazon stream.

carlosv1

saw this film in the cinema and it blew us away. Gyllenhaal puts in an amazing performance.

silent ninja

I was pleasantly surprised by this movie. I remember seeing a few previews for it and didn't really rate what I was seeing. However with a good IMDb score I thought I'd give it a go. Really enjoyed it, definitely worth a watch!
It wasn't a pleasant movie by any means! [emoji16]

This movie got criminally overlooked in the award season. I guess the realistic nature of the dark story and themes was too much. Some say it's about exploiting the system, capitalism at it's finest, the unethical media industry, the thirst of the public for the gratuitous, or maybe it's just about joblessness.

I felt this had more important things to say than Boyhood or Birdman, and it was quite unique in a dark way. It's a pretty rare film so to get no recognition is awful

djpaulc247

Distinguished Member
One of my favourites of the last year or so, Gyllenhaal was outstanding.

Ten80p

Banned
My Film of the Year Also..Thanks Cas for even including this overlooked classic movie. I think this film will become one that is talked about more and more as the years go by, I will keep an eye on all those who made it.

AJBek

Agree totally with what has been said, this was also my film of the year for 2014, and in my top 10 of all time. I can't comment on the oscar snub as I have not seen birdman or boyhood (I have no interest in the subject matter of either TBH) but they would really have to be exceptional to be better than this film. The shocking final act was some of the best cinema I have ever seen.

Buggs66

I can't think of a better movie than nightcrawler in the last 12 months it really is a superbly crafted piece of filmmaking the likes of scorsese would be proud of.We should feel a bit cheated that Dan Gilroy waits until he is 55 to make his directorial debut what great movies have we been missing.

Simba

Distinguished Member
really enjoyed this movie! great performance.

silent ninja

Very good film and JG is terrific in it. Rene Russo was great too. Not exactly what I expected but very tense especially the closing incident. I predicted
Lou would get his assistant deliberately killed and then film it
but it needed to happen.

I wish I'd seen it on BD rather than the naff 'HD' (lol) Amazon stream.

This reminded me, Riz Ahmed was quite good in this and a little overlooked too. Great to see the man from 3 Lions supporting such a good film. His character wasn't the sharpest tool and had a heart and a conscience, and if you think about how the movie began, he and Lou (Gyllenhall) start in the same place with nothing. He doesn't have the ruthless ambition or lack of morals and where does that get him? And then consider what happens to Bill Paxton's character too. It resonated with me because that's what happens in real life: arseholes tend to get the furthest. They sh*t on everyone on the way to the top. The difference is they can live with the costs and consequences, but i can't lol

djpaulc247

Distinguished Member
I said this in the Odeon Screen Unseen thread as well but all I kept thinking throughout the movie, due to Gyllenhaal's edgy psychotic and manipulative character, how perfect he would be for the next Joker when they eventually cast him

rhino2k

Distinguished Member
This is an excellent film!
Not what I expected at all, It is Clever, Moody, Quite Gory and in all Honestly its like a top notch 80's throwback!
I have a hard time deciding between this and Cold In July as the best non blockbuster film of last year. I give the edge to CIJ though, What A film!

Ste7en

Distinguished Member
On Netflix South American regions now.

I enjoyed it up until around the halfway point. I felt it was going somewhere I didn't want it to go then it (unfortunately) just sort of frizzled out.

Good film, well made excellent performances (especially Gyllenhaal). But then it all got a bit "And..." I dunno. Probably won't be buying it.

The latest video from AVForums

AVForums Movies Podcast: Streaming Theatrical Releases And The Future Of Cinema
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom