• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Night time recording

H

Hula

Hello Everybody,

Have just joined the forums and have one or two questions on my post topic.
I am considering the purchase of one of two camcorders at the moment that I have singled out after research, but not experience, that I am led to believe would give me a better than average recording at night.
Firstly I am talking about 0 lux conditions and employing either models IR modes. My choices are either Panasonics' AG DVC 30 model or Sonys' HDR-HC1e. I am attracted to to the Panasonic as it's a 3ccd pro-sumer camera ( just ) within the budget I have in mind, it can record in black and white in night mode and I can easily supplement the camcorders own light with an IR light on the hotshoe. I am likewise atracted to the Sony because of the glowing reviews I have read on the image quality of High Definition recordings, even those taken in the dark. What puts me off the Sony however is the use of an intelligent hot shoe which might make life awkward in fitting even a convenient IR light source and secondly the lack of editing software for high def. video. Despite these shortcomings I would however be prepared to work round these if it meant a considerably superior video resulted in using the Sony as quality is paramount. As I have not seen any video samples of either model in night mode is it conceivable that they would perform no better than my trusty Sony DCR PC 120, which I also supplement with an IR light at the moment? Is there anyone out there who might have experience of using either of these two models in night mode and who given that they have seen other camcorders footage would consider either of the two models I have mentioned much superior to that of mid-range camcorders?
All replies greatly received.

Hula.

R

Roy Mallard

3ccd wont have any benefit over what is essentially a monochrome image, hc1 is widescreen and is hd, you can edit with your present system by downconverting on camera from hdv to sd.

Sony.

The latest video from AVForums

SVS Prime Wireless Pro Powered Speakers - Review Coming Soon
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom