1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Night Of The Demon (They Added Footage).

Discussion in 'TV Show Forum' started by Garrett, Oct 21, 2004.

1. Garrett

Garrett

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,221
    I just watched a documentary on the guy who directed it (Jacques Tourneur) and the Demon was only to be shown at the end and then only briefly, but after it had been filmed the producer added some more footage with the demon being shown right at the beginning and in other shoot. :thumbsdow
    I think they should have left thing as they stood and left thing up to your imagination as they did with the TV version that probably why it was one of the most scary things I had seen.

Original quote from the 100 Scarcest Moments thread.

2. Joe Pineapples

Joe Pineapples

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +847
    I had hoped you were about to say they were showing it on BBC2 soon or something - its donkeys since i saw this very well done horror.

Speaking of things that scared you on television Garrett, did you ever see 'The Woman In Black'? - first shown on the BBC at christmas in 1989 (when they used to produce original ghost stories for the festive period), Now that programme definetly gave me the willies :)

3. Garrett

Garrett

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,221
    Yes I saw most of the Christmas seasons ghost stories even the ones that were tales that where recounted by two persons, which had the best special effects producer ever, ones own mind. They use to chill me to the bone.

4. wokeye

wokeye

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +48
    You should just buy it, I got it from DVD Soon I think, only available on Region 1 (so I believe may be wrong). The disc contains both the British cut of the film (Night Of The Demon) and the American cut (Curse Of The Demon) superb film though :smashin:

5. Joe Pineapples

Joe Pineapples

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +847
    whars the difference between the two cuts - is it the added footage Garrett was talking about?

btw - on this theme, does anyone remember another porgramme - could have been a film or drama, involving the same idea of a curse passed on a piece of paper. I think it was british, fairly modern (in colour), and i have a mental image of a 'cursed' man running over some fields in daylight, tripping over, and having his demon scratch away at him (the demon seemed to be a 2 colour negative image, though i might be wrong on this).

6. Garrett

Garrett

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,221
    I do not know if you read my post the wrong way but the added footage is what everyone has seen, it should have not been there.

In 1968 in the third season of Mystery and Imagination they did the original story by MR James called Casting The Runes which was really frightening.
    see here.
    Here is a picture of the actor Robert Eddison who played Julian Karswell you may know him better form Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade. Also the hero of the story was John Fraser who I know best as Prince Alfonso from El-Cid.

Attached Files:

7. karkus30

karkus30
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,261
    Glad you reminded me about this film. It scared the @@@@ out of me.

It had such an effect that I made up some Runes for my school mates and secretly dropped them into their pockets, at first no one cared, but after I convinced them about the Demon, things quickly got out of hand :eek: . It caused a spreading hysteria, which went round the class first, then around the school (the power of suggestion eh), I was terrified that they would pick me out as the protagonist and suddenly knew how it must feel to be on the receiving end of a Witch hunt. :rolleyes: It took the week end interlude to calm things down.

So Ive ordered it on DVD on region 1. Hope its as good as I remember.
    I wonder how my work colleagues might react if I tried the same trick ?

Wheres that parchment :devil:

8. GrahamC

GrahamC

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +67
    Is this the film in which a curse is writen on a piece of paper and whom ever holds the paper at midnight is taken by a demon. :rolleyes:

9. Garrett

Garrett

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,221
    There is a date put on the piece of paper with the curse. It cannot be slipped in someone’s pocket, it has to be taken and the only way to remove Spoiler
    is for the person who gave it out to take it back
    but there is little chance of that.

10. the_pauley

the_pauley
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +198
    I think you'll find that the guy in the B&W pic you posted is Ian McKellan Garrett.

Night of the Demon is a gem! Got this DVD a while back. Yes, it does have two versions of the movie. The UK cut, Night of the Demon (as opposed to Curse of... in the US) is the complete cut of the movie.

ITV Playhouse in the late '70s did an adaptation of this story too with a female lead (Jan Francis in the Dana Andrews role) and Ian Cuthbertson as Karswell. Still got this on tape - hoping against hope for a DVD release.

As to Tales of Mystery and Imagination, this is one hell of a creepy series. No frills, old fashioned ghost/horror stories. Saw a few of them a while back at a classic TV retrospective at the NFT, and they still deliver the chills.

Also read a few years ago that the complete run of this series was located in pristine condition in the vaults of Central Television, but since then not a word... :(

I think what counts against this getting TV repeats is the fact that with the exception of a six 90 min colour stories (among them Frankenstein Ian Holm, Dracula Denholm Eliott and Sweeney Todd Freddie Jones) made in the last two seasons in an attempt to revive the series, all the others are in B&W.

11. Joe Pineapples

Joe Pineapples

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +847
    this is probably the thing i vaguely remember.

12. Garrett

Garrett

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,221
    Yes it was I added the wrong picture but its not there now..

I never saw that one with Jan Francis. Referring back to the one I saw if anyone is confused with the two it starts with Karswell giving a slide show to some children and one of the slides is a very old drawing of the demon and it was very scary but that’s all you saw of it the rest was up to your imagination.

Talking of Denholm Eliott he was in Ghost Story for Christmas: The Signalman.