Night of the Demon Blu-ray Review & Comments

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD discs' started by Phil Hinton, Oct 28, 2018.

1. Simon Crust

Simon Crust
      Movie Reviewer

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +1,489
      • Thanks Thanks x 4
      • Like Like x 2
      • List
    2. Jim Di Griz

Jim Di Griz
      Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +8,990
      Good review Simon. I watched this not long ago. Its a very good film but I am not sure it is a classic for me. The demon at the end...if only they hadn't shown it! :D Would make a great double bill with The Haunting (1963) which is a superior film for me. It would also go well with The Devil Rides Out maybe.

Will certainly pick up the standard edition at some point though!

3. addyeddy

addyeddy

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +58
      It is the unnerving performance of Niall MacGuinness that lifts this out of the ordinary for me. What a release this is for fans though, the epitome of how to do a collectors edition. Wonder how long it will be before a 4k cash cow edition is forthcoming?

4. Roohster

Roohster
      Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +4,704
      Nice review.

The first horror film I ever saw, one of my favourites, and an all-time classic.

I've owned so many versions of this and promised myself that the French special edition (Rendez-vous avec la peur) would be the last... but there's so many extras on this that I'm tempted.

5. bogart99

bogart99

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +33
      Cracking film a must have in my opinion. Am a bit confused by what versions out there. HMV are selling 2 both bluray but at different prices. Cheaper one on release now more expensive one on 26th November. Both look identical except one on release now states limited edition.

Last edited: Oct 29, 2018
    6. Ste7en

Ste7en
      Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +3,357
      Release of the year IMO. A stunning set. Order direct from Indicator for a bonus Karswell business card :)

@bogart99 26th November is the 'standard edition'. The LE is selling well (so well the pressing limit has been raised twice, now standing at a whopping 10,000) and looks to be going OOP relatively fast. Indicator have decided to announce the standard edition earlier. Disc content is identical.

7. cooperda

cooperda

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +123
      Really like this film - A fantastic movie - a classic! :)

8. Garrett

Garrett

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +8,029
      I agree Simon a well deserved 10.
      I have this set and the films is for me everything a horror film should be and show up and trounces a reworking Drag Me To Hell.
      The villain in this film totally evil and yet very pleasantly spoken but there are things happening throughout make you feel very uneasy and make you realas the hero in something way deeper than he realises. Although based on an MR James story and more an early 20th century story brought update in the 50s and stuck an american actor in the lead, Dana Andrews who I rate better than a lot of better know actors of the period.
      I highly recommend this to any conosures of horror films and show what can be done with good direction beating effects and gore.
      I did some pictures of the set with shots which include the posters and book here
      Night of the Demon .Special edition

9. MichaelB

MichaelB
      Standard Member

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +2
      A tiny quibble about an otherwise excellent review: 1.66:1 is not "theatrically correct". In fact, that ratio was encountered surprisingly rarely in commercial cinemas in 1957, and I'm not sure why Sony chose it to frame the image on both their masters.

All contemporary evidence suggests that Night of the Demon was actually shown at 1.75:1 in British cinemas and 1.85:1 in the US on its original release, although the latter is fractionally too tight at times (especially the scene by the fireplace), suggesting that 1.75:1 is the optimum ratio all round. This was the conclusion reached by the BFI when they examined the 35mm materials, and there's no obvious reason to disagree with them - and it's why the Indicator disc prioritises that version.

1.66:1 would become more fashionable later on, to the extent of largely taking over from 1.75:1 as far as British cinemas were concerned - but not for many years after Night of the Demon was made.

10. bogart99

bogart99

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +33
      Received today. Guess how I am going to spend this evening.:thumbsup:

11. Jessica Noir

Jessica Noir

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +351
      This is the best blu-ray release of the year for me. So much love an attention been thrown at it. Film deserves it too.

12. Garrett

Garrett

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +8,029
      Nice to hear on the cometry (that someone you like a lot of there work) in an interview with Brian Wilde, that Dana Andrews was a wonderfully nice guy, brilliant on set, didnt chuck his weight about, humble and well behaved.:blush::smashin:

13. Garrett

Garrett

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +8,029
      I was looking for the book that Tony Earnshaw(who does the commentary on the film) wrote on the film and its out of print :( and going for quite a bit if you find a copy.

14. Julian Stevens

Julian Stevens

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +321
      Great movie.... except for Dana Andrews who, as an actor, I've always considered to be little better than a cardboard cut-out. A flaw in the story is that towards the end of the film, when John Holden, finally convinced that his life really is in danger, is desperately seeking Julian Karswell, Professor Kumar tells him that Karswell has left to catch a train to Southampton, presumably from the local station. Kumar even tells him the departure time. Why ever would Karswell have shared such information with anyone when he was obviously keen to make himself as scarce as possible? The only reason to share the location of his departure would have been to give the wrong station so as to throw Holden off his trail.

Apparently, both the director Jacques Tourneur and the writer Charles Bennet were opposed to the inclusion of any scenes actually showing the demon but, in my view quite rightly, were over-ruled by the producer Hal Chester who added the relevant scenes without Tourneur. Around 1980 a cheap TV remake was made starring Ian Cuthbertson as Karswell, bereft of any appearance of the demon and it was so lame as to have been completely worthless.

Well overdue for a remake, for which Tom Hanks in the starring role would be perfect, provided of course that it's set in England rather than the US, as so many US remakes of British classics have tended to be.

Last edited: Nov 3, 2018
    15. bogart99

bogart99

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +33
      Let us not bother with a remake when the original is so good.

16. Julian Stevens

Julian Stevens

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +321
      The original is good but not so good that a carefully considered, quality remake couldn't be even better.

Last edited: Nov 4, 2018
    17. Jim Di Griz

Jim Di Griz
      Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +8,990
      You think? I have my doubts whether a remake of this one would be worth it.

18. Garrett

Garrett

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +8,029
      They did one I mentioned that I think did not show the demon and scared the bejeezus out of me although being a kid at the time set in the period it was wrote starring John Fraser. Also it was re done as Drag me to Hell which I hate with a vengeance.
      As to the casting of Dana Andrews I think they got that right, where you really don't want a uber star in the main role as you not expect them to die in the final reel.
      As said in some circles Night of the Demon is the Casablanca of horror film and only a fool would try to better that one.

19. Markonesmile

Markonesmile
      Standard Member

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +4
      A remake would no way be better than this wonderful movie.

20. Jim Di Griz

Jim Di Griz
      Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +8,990
      Oh yeah - Drag Me To Hell. That wasn't bad as I recall! I might give that another watch at some point.

21. mark6226

mark6226

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +471
      My friend brought this back from London for me. He got it for £22. It's a lovely lavish boxset with poster and book. To be honest I'd rather pay £15 for it without the book and poster. Sure they are nice but it's about the movie not the window dressing. Two versions may be better. A basic two disc version and then the fancy boxset.
      I'll take the basic version every time. All the information in the booklet is freely available on the Internet anyway.
      The time tunnel boxset i bought this week was £34 and basic packaging. If you add books etc the price goes up massively. I wouldn't have bought it and the same goes for many others.
      Price is a determinant of sales. Bluray is simply too expensive
      4K blurays are silly money. Hence the total lack of sales in the uk. Home cinema choice showed that less that 350 4K blurays are sold in the uk every day.
      Night of the demon is beautiful boxset but too expensive for the unknowing to take a chance.
      After over 10 years of bluray they still haven't realised why it's a commercial failure. It's too late now.
      I love the format and I rarely overpay.
      Yes I'd pay £18 each for the missing Cary grant comedies on bluray.But not much else