Night, motion sensor for porch light

thedynamix101

Standard Member
Reaction score
Hi guys

We are trying to add some security / aesthetic lighting to the front of our rented property (landlord has agreed but told us to sort it out if we want it..).

So, we opted for this hanging light (Amazon product ASIN B01CZ96TWQ) and I plan to use a WiFi-connected TP-Link E27 bulb (Amazon product ASIN B07XG576WN).

So that's great and hopefully that will all work as expected, but we want to take it step further. What we REALLY want is the addition of a (ceiling-mounted) motion sensor which works after dark only and triggers the light to turn on (and subsequently off after x time without motion detected).

Does anyone have any experience with a reliable sensor that would work in the context of this set up and our requirements?

Not very tech or electrically savvy, but do have a good multi trader who has offered to help us, but the consultative side is a bit lacking so we kind of need to instruct him all the way... And supply the parts of course.

Thanks

Z!

i use a few microwave motion sensor bulbs off amazon, cheap and work well when you get close but do not rely on PIR (which you can also get on the bulb) wont be as good looking as the filament bulbs though

The sensor must have a good angle and range, must be configurable to only work when it's dark and not in the day time (or according to a schedule) and must be able to instruct the light to turn off after x seconds/minutes

Any comments on microwave vs PIR?

I haven't cine across a bulb with an actual PIR sensor built in! But yeah, the aesthetic o was shooting for depends on the filament look I suppose, but good to know nonetheless!

If you're set on using a smart bulb you'd either need an accessory from the same manufacturer or some sort of central hub to integrate different stuff together. (for example Home Assistant, Samsung SmartThings, Apple Homekit etc etc)

AFAIK TP-Link don't seem to make a compatible motion sensor.
I do have a few cheap TP-Link Kasa cameras that can trigger on motion and operate TP-Link bulbs and plugs.

If a compatible motion sensor is a requirement you may be better off seeking out a smart bulb and matching motion sensor, personally I use Philips Hue which has both indoor and outdoor sensors available, I actually have the cheaper indoor version in my porch. the sensor is sheltered by the porch but it is outside and has been for a few years with no issues.

If you're set on using a smart bulb you'd either need an accessory from the same manufacturer or some sort of central hub to integrate different stuff together. (for example Home Assistant, Samsung SmartThings, Apple Homekit etc etc)

AFAIK TP-Link don't seem to make a compatible motion sensor.
I do have a few cheap TP-Link Kasa cameras that can trigger on motion and operate TP-Link bulbs and plugs.

If a compatible motion sensor is a requirement you may be better off seeking out a smart bulb and matching motion sensor, personally I use Philips Hue which has both indoor and outdoor sensors available, I actually have the cheaper indoor version in my porch. the sensor is sheltered by the porch but it is outside and has been for a few years with no issues.
Hi - aren't the two concepts entirely disconnected though?

For WiFi, I will use TP Link's app (whatever that is) should I wish to ever turn on or off the light irrespective of the sensor.

But for motion detection, that will be hard-wired to the fixture itself. I would not want to or intend to use some sort of wireless (WiFi connected) sensor.

So - the hard-wired sensor would do what it does to the light and for any manual lighting I want to to apply, I will use the TP Link app to turn on/off the bulb itself.

We'll, this was my thinking anyway! Does that male sense as an approach?

A hardwired motion sensor will cut power to the bulb. In order for a smart bulb to work it's needs to be powered on all the time to be controlled by the app. If you're going for a wired motion sensor you may as well just use a standard bulb TBH.

A hardwired motion sensor will cut power to the bulb. In order for a smart bulb to work it's needs to be powered on all the time to be controlled by the app. If you're going for a wired motion sensor you may as well just use a standard bulb TBH.
Now you say it... Duh! Very good point sir.

So I can either forgo the WiFi bulb idea, or go for a fully WiFi connected solution, but probably not TP LINK given their lack of connected motion sensors...

So regarding a fully wireless, WiFi connected ecosystem in this context, I would be able to BOTH trigger the light on when motion is detected AND/OR manually control the bulb via the app?

So regarding a fully wireless, WiFi connected ecosystem in this context, I would be able to BOTH trigger the light on when motion is detected AND/OR manually control the bulb via the app?

Yes, I can turn on my porch light manually (either in the app or I also have hue battery powered dimmer switches) , its also set to come on dim on a timer during the evening and will go to full brightness on detecting motion (and back to dim if it's dark enough and before 10pm)
The sensor can have multiple setups for different times and also has a light level sensor so it can optionally only do anything if its dark enough. pretty much any combination you can think of really.

The newer bulbs also work with Bluetooth but you still need a bridge to use the motion sensors.
TBH Hue is crap without a bridge.

Last edited:
I like the sound of your set up, but on second thoughts, I'm reticent to invest in another ecosystem. I already have a hub + ecosystem for my eufy security set up and would not want another bridge type product etc.

So I'll revert to my original approach, minus the WiFi bulb and we'll hard wire a sensor.

So back to the original question I suppose - any recommendations for solid and reliable hard wired motion sensors? Microwave vs PIR?

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom