Night and Day!

O

Oh Contrary!

Hi everyone!

Is it possible to use a projector for everyday use thereby replacing the need for a conventional television, moreso as I intend to use a small projected footprint of about 55" wide?

How much ambient light does it take to begin to degrade the picture to the point it is no longer viable to watch?

Perfecto!

Chris.

any sunlight it becomes very washed out. Light from light bulbs is fine if there not to bright. It really isnt suitible unless u have a dedicated room that is light controled

I use my PJ as my TV and PC monitor, and as stated above room lights at 75% or below are fine, obviously the lower you dim your lights the better though. Natural sunlight does destroy the picture. Today it has been dull outside, so the curtains have been open.

Just remember 1 very important point.

Your screen is White.

This white, actually is going to be your Black.

Nothing on screen can be darker than the brightness of the screen at any time

If you can avoid direct sunlight, you might be okay. However, you also need to consider the cost of replacement lamps. Running costs are generally in the region of 10p-15p per hour.

Tempest said:
Just remember 1 very important screen.

Your screen is White.

:smashin: So simple when you explain it like this!

Thanks everybody for those tips and views - helpful indeed! Deano -B, being the most optomistic overall can you expand a bit on how you manage day to day? Ease of use, noise, whether its more fitting for PC use than Television. I was interested in your comment that you were able to use your projector today being as it was dull but can you tell me with how many windows the room you use has (to give me some idea as to how much light you were operating in).

Direct sunlight will never interfere with my intended set up but there is a pair of french doors but well shaded by a balcony above, even if it is a good day (sunny outside) do you find you can still work with the projector?

Okay thats it, thanks again everyone and in particular Tempest for sharing that with me!

"If everyone didn't want more wouldn't there be more for everyone!"

Hi, It's not just me who has this setup, 2 friends who also have Panny PJs have PC/TV/XBOX to the PJ and it is excellent using it day to day. It depends on which PJ you buy as to how noisy it is, but generally they are very quiet now, and are hard to hear. The PC looks stunning at it's native res. of 1280x720 and games/DVD/hidef material look a lot better through a hidef machine than one of a lower res. Light issues are harder to explain though, I've read that your room is quite shaded and no direct light hits the screen, but still you need to be careful here though. In the summer on sunny days I have the curtains mostly closed, say two thirds, which makes it quite light still in the room and degrades the picture, but doesn't destroy it, but my window is 8' wide and 5' tall in a room 13'6" x 13'6". I have lined cutains though so no light comes in when they are closed, whereas one of my friends has curtains which let a little light in but his house does not get direct sunlight like mine does. As I stated earlier it is hard to explain, but it does sound like it should be OK. My advise would be to get a PJ that has a good 3 year warranty such as the Sanyo Z3 or the new Epson. Good luck :clap:

Tempest said:
Just remember 1 very important point.

Your screen is White.

Well said.

Now why cant we have black screens like on a CRT tv?

(slap myself in advance for asking a probably silly question - yes really i did slap myself!!)

You can get grey screens with gain which are ideal for ambient light rejection and giving a better black level. A black screen will absorb light so you will need quite a bright machine to overcome that. A CRT tv looks black because there is an absence of light within the tube until you turn it on, and as it relies on an electron beam hitting phosphor and making it glow, a CRT can produce black very well. It will suffer from direct sunlight though, the same as a screen will.

An Infocus 7205/7210 would be quite bright and with the white peaking turned on will help make the image brighter for daytime viewing. It's not ideal for good video quality but fine for sports etc, though you may be happy tio use it like that for movies.

Gary.

What we need is, as well as a Reg, green and Blue panels, we also need a Black panel so it can project black onto the screen when needed.

simple huh!

Wonder why no-one's thought of this before?

You can buy black light bulbs here:
http://www.blacklight.com/blacklightbulbs

Thanks for the additional comments everyone and your interest. I have just returned from Exeter (4hrs round trip but the nearest shop with a projector room - well any shop really!), and was pleasantly surprised by how useable the projector was with a reasonable amount of ambient light. You might not want to watch a movie in those conditions, but to have the news on, or some match as Mr Lightfoot mentions, I think could work. Clearly when the intent is to actuallly watch the Screen for any length of time, or when devoting your full attention to a programme - well time to turn the lights off I guess.

I'm glad I went to take a look (spurred on by your comments gentlemen), although I had pretty much decided on the 50" Pioneer XDE Plasma. Now I would ask your thoughts on the two alternatives but I have had enough of windy flies who eat fruit.

Incidently it would be my intent to make a viewing screen of only 5 feet in diameter and therefore the projector could be located fairly close (allbeit in the middle of my lounge ceiling!) to the screen - would that not help matters more?

There is also one other question, again leading on from your comments Deano -B, is using a PC the best choice for getting the best pictures and making the most of the projector/plasma technology?

Once more to the beach dear friends and thanks again,

Marrisimo!

Chris.

Definatley go the PC route. Playing games and watching DVD/hidef is a must through PC, and using it for the inernet or word documents/spreadsheets etc. is fantastic as you can get so much detail on the screen. DVDs take on a new lease of like with 'ffdshow' running and blows away DVD players. As I stated earlier 2 of my friends have their PJs in their rooms, both of which have them mounted on the ceiling, and if installed correctly does not look out of place.

You may want to look into using media centre to record off sky as well :clap: and store many DVDs on your HDD :clap:

Bugblatter - have you any idea how much the screens are? They are something else!

Just a quick update - I spoke today to a Rick Lennon of Precor Electronics who are the export agency for Screen innovations, and he informed that a Uk distributer is shortly to be appointed. Once the legalities have been concluded he said he would get back to me. When he does I will post the information here. C.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom